• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

DID Do you hear voices in your head?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, yesterday, for the first time, I got a visual with the audio mental voice. I have been corresponding with (in real life) an old friend that my most recent abuser forbade me to be in contact with. In the vision, I saw an ugly troll-like person pointing to my computer and saying to me that I will not email this friend any longer. In real life this abuser was actually handsome, but my mind obviously sees him as quite the opposite. Interesting....

Maybe I better bring this up in therapy this coming Wednesday.

@SheilaKathy, thanks for sharing! It really depends on the severity of PTSD and the person, honestly. I hear voices --- and most often times, they are either protective of me or tell me to off myself and tell me exactly how I should do it. The ways "the voices" tell me these things are honestly disturbing, so I'm assuming that in my case, yes, PTSD causes depression which causes negative emotions and if psychosis is a symptom them these thoughts are released in a self-angering way where the voices tell me what I feel about myself in the third person (or second). But, on the other hand, like you experience, I too, sometimes hear things but I don't understand anything that the voice is saying. To my knowledge, sometimes it doesn't relate to anything that's going on. So I'm not really sure. My old psychiatrist said that psychosis and PTSD don't go hand-in-hand. How PTSD may cause psychosis but it's not always the case. If the PTSD really re-traumatized the patient and there is any sort of anger (or self-loathing) in the person that's repressed then psychosis may gradually arise. That's what an old doctor said, anyway I don't know enough to be able to say she's right for every case.

I hear voices too. Lately I hear sirens or people mumbling. Awhile ago they were violent but that stopped, thankfully. The other day I swear I heard, "give me your license and registration" but there was nobody around...scary.

I'm on 80 mg of Latuda and I still hear stuff.

I did as a kid a lot, that was sort of a low point during trauma though so it's probably when my mental health was at the lowest point. Generally it would be during episodes of derealization/dissociation, and only rarely by themselves. Still get them on rare occasions these days, but they're quieter and listening to music or doing something active gets rid of them.

For me they never have been intelligible. It's always kind of like a crowded room full of people talking and while it sounds like everyone is coherent, when I try and listen to specifics I realize that I can't hear it. Sometimes one voice would start yelling, or just yell a single word, but even then I couldn't make it out. I think I'd sometimes get a single word from it, but it would never be related, something like "cereal" or something equally pointless. Oftentimes the yelling voice would sound like my dad vaguely, sometimes like TV characters or something. It's kind of surreal really and explaining it is difficult. I honestly thought this was normal for ages, it's kind of funny really.

I hear voices, sometimes. But it is hard to distinguish between the voices that are mine (like the running thought process it seems like we all have) and the ones that might not be, but even those originate from me.

If the voices were commanding you to be violent or mean, I would think that it is a problem. But as long as they aren't? It's probably a flashback or traumatic intrusion, just maybe not the kind that you are accustomed to having, as @Ragdoll Circus suggested.

Yes, I do. I hav for years. Mostly indistinguishable. I call them whispers. Its as if someone is talking quietly just out of range. I also hear music. I'd get up in the middle of the night to yell at the kids to turn it off and go to sleep only to find out there was no radio and they were sleeping.

These usually happen at night and so I've learned to turn my music on low when I go to bed to drown them out. I had been on antipsychotics for years which kept them at bay. I had to stop because of the lifetime gift of uncontrollable muscle movements they gave me. Now I fight them on my own.

Low music helps me, white noise doesn't. When I tried white noise I noticed I was just trying harder to understand what they were saying.

I don't hear voices

however it is normal for about 10% of people to experience it.

It may be flasbacks, but, It's not necessary for it to be connected with any trauma, meds or mental condition. all it needs is for you either not to recognise your own inner dialogues as coming from you,

or for your brain to be trying to make sense of sounds in your environment, or even trying to make sense of tinnitus.

even trying to make sense of tinnitus

Hmm, I think this may kind of be it for me. I have on and off tinnitus, generally pretty mild. I think potentially during the dissociation it got more intense and seemed like words because everything else just sort of seemed further away. It probably was amplified by bad mental health, but I wouldn't be surprised if tinnitus was the main cause.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back