• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Poll Do You Keep A Clean & Neat Home Or...?

Do You Keep A Clean & Neat Home Or...?

• Yes, I'm a "Neat Freak"

Votes: 11 15.3%
  • Yes, I like things basically Neat and Clean

Votes: 13 18.1%
  • I'm quite neat and organized, but occasionally...

Votes: 17 23.6%
  • I'm kind of messy

Votes: 11 15.3%
  • I don't bother very often

Votes: 5 6.9%
  • I have a housekeeper

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • No, I don't care to clean or if it is clean

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'm hopelessly messy

Votes: 22 30.6%
  • Other, please explain

Votes: 3 4.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Changing4Best

MyPTSD Pro
Do you prefer a neat and orderly home or are you messy or are you someplace inbetween? You may click more than one answer. Feel free to expound upon your Poll responce(s) in the discussion section below, thanks.

I am a multiple, so I also checked "Other". When I am together, and doing well, I like a clean home. When my house is clean I feel good about life. I am open to just about anything or anyone. However, when I'm depressed, the first way to tell is that my house is dusty and dishes are not done. When I'm anxious, the windows and blinds are closed and locked tight. The locks are on the doors, and I rarely open the door or answer my telephone.

People that know me, can tell at a glance how I am doing mentally.

I must confess that I do not keep a neat and clean house, though I do have a lady that comes in from the county who helps me with the very basics of trying to clean and stay healthy. She is called a Home Health Aid (HHA). She does my dishes, straightens a bit, takes me to the grocery store (as I have no car) and keeps me company to the best of her ability for the 2 hours she is here per week.

I lived as a child in a museum-like home, where my parents regularly had parties to entertain important guests from church, their jobs and so on. I was not allowed to walk on the lawn, nor sit on the couch, the precious couch! If I did not clean my room, periodically, on some day when I'd least expect it, my mother would invade it and clean it while I was at school. I'd come home to find a room that was NO LONGER MINE. I would not be able to find ANYTHING. GRRRR.... Also, she never took the time to teach me to clean or organize, because she worked. Instead, I was just expected to miraculously KNOW!

In protest of this, I think, as an adult I am not a very neat or organized person. And now that I am older and forgetful, I cannot longer recall where I put my things sometimes. I have to pray to the Lord to help me find them! (Which He does).

I was just wondering if this is just me, or did any of the rest of you have childhood nightmares about your mother cleaing out your room? Or are you more OCD and just must keep everything spotless and neat?

Hi Sheila,

I lived in various foster homes, so I've seen super clean, where they even had plastic on the furniture, and runners on the carpet to keep it clean and glasses in the cupboard wrapped up so "germs" didn't get on them, to filthy dirty places, where just walking across the floor made your feet black. Laundry with mold from sitting damp so long, to everything lined up by color, length of sleeve, etc. a half inch apart in the closet, and folded a certain way in the drawers. Kitchens where you wondered what was growing on the food in the refrigerator to so clean, you were nervous to use a glass for fear you'd get yelled at for being a slob.

I like to think my home is clean enough to be healthy, dirty enough to be lived in.

When I am together, and doing well, I like a clean home. When my house is clean I feel good about life. I am open to just about anything or anyone. However, when I'm depressed, the first way to tell is that my house is dusty and dishes are not done.

I've been depressed most of the winter this year. My home is a disaster right now! My sister has Seasonal Disorder, and so she has a very tough time keeping her house up too. She is also a clutterholic, so she is actually even worse than I am about keeping house.

Yesterday, in desperation, I started to straighten my favorite dumping ground area, next to my recliner/ rocker. I really don't LIKE my house messy, I just don't have a clue how to keep it clean and organized! I was never taught; my parents were too busy entertaining and/ or working. The only thing my mother ever taught me was to oversee a housekeeper, by giving her a list of what needed to be done and then going to check it with her afterwards. However, the housekeeper was starting out with a basically neat and almost clean house to begin with.

Even if I wanted to make things neat right now, I have no clue how or where to start!!! And I'd like to start, but... sigh...

My house is pretty tidy, because my amazing husband is so good at it. I take no credit at all, but I'm just beginning to try.

I've found another forum where someone posts a list of tasks for one room each day. Everyone picks their personal goals and posts them, and later lets us know how they're doing. So today, out of a possible ten tasks I picked
Bedroom
Clear and clean the floor
Remove anything which belongs in another room
Wipe the window ledges and clean a window or two
Dust lightshades and bulbs

I managed three.

I like the limited goals Otherwise I might clean that window, and then spend the rest of the day hating myself for not doing the dozens of other jobs

Take one room. Get a trash bag, and just pick up all trash and put it in the bag. Pick a spot in that room, and put any books away in that one spot.

I like the idea that stenni shared about making a list of things to do in each room. Only take one room at a time, and before you know it, your entire house will be picked up and cleaned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back