• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Poll Do You Listen To Grunge Or Alternative Rock And Why?

Do You Like Grunge / Alternative Music?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well Morgan it is not because I can relate to it, but because I can't. It is good music that I do not have memories attached to. So on hard days I can listen to music and not have memories flood over me or feel to much. Just enjoy the beat. Heavy Metal mostly Linkin Park, Metalica, System of the Down, and Mud. My son like's it also so we have fun.

Yes, when it suits. As for the why, I think because I FEEL more when I listen to that music. Granted, most of it is negative, but it strikes a chord with me (no pun intended!).

For the last few years, I've listened to a lot of hard rock & heavy metal. Linkin Park (wow, do I identify with their songs!), Arch Enemy, Killswitch Engage, Rob Zombie, Flyleaf, Metallica, Avenged Sevenfold, Red, Evanescence (another one I really "feel"), Ram-Zet, Nightwish... However, I also love classical music as well.

I've really begun to notice how the music I listen to affects my mood. I'll indulge when I feel like it, but I am trying to play things other than hard rock/metal: Vivaldi, Chopin, Sarah Brightman, Cirque du Soilel soundtracks, Loreena McKennitt, Michael Buble... It seems to keep me in a better mood, at least a calmer, more grounded, positive one. My husband even uploaded 8 hours of Beethoven to my iPod, so I can go an entire workday without hearing the same thing twice. And it's fun finding new-to-me artists.

What a neat question....I just was encouraging my son to sing tonight...like belt It right out...with his aspergers he is quite shy and would only do this alone or with meThe phrase I always say to him because my mother and fathers opinion was "music makes you happy" I have always praised him and we listened to lullabyes for years, I think this was like a three year time frame of calm, relaxing. soothing songs. This was also during a lot of abuse and trauma from my ex so this kind of makes sense.I was also working as a workoholic, all my free time when he was awake was spent with him.

Sorry..I am going off topic it justs seems funny that this thread came about w..that fot me have been quite chaotic and everchanging.
hen it did and the music that I have listened to has vastly changed over] the years

As a child I listened to Christian rock, sang in the church and school choirs. Then when my Dad died..I went to see an Amy Grant concert in califoria that was the last chistian rock concert. i still went to church but I listened to depeche mode, the redhot chili peppers, new order, pink Floyd. I was about 15, after my rape and one year since my dad died and i remember the words of this song that I used to play over and over " Now I deon't want to start any blashemous rumours but I think that GODS got a sick sense of humour and when I die, I expect to find him laughing........I was in a bad state those years and became angry at the whole world, including GOD. i volunteered to be camp nursefor three weeks in the summer brfore I hurt my back.....I would love to be able to take my son one day. I listened to christian rock all week and it was very peacefil. I think that i have always gone in different stages according to what is happening in my life at that time...or if I need a good cry...there are others thatt make me cry,,hymns, esp.

The periods of time I was a workaholic, I hardly listened to music at all.

I used to enjoy dance music and dancing, now that is more hassle then it is worth.
My new music of choice is country!!! maybe that is fom my Edmomton years.

sorry this was so long!

Blasphamas rumors is one of my favorite songs! I really relate to it "and when I die, I expect to find him laughing"! I can totally relate to that one! I live for Depeche Mode!
Anyways thanx for replying.

Take care, Morgan

Reactions: Zef
Hi,
I didn't answer the poll because my actual answer is not in the list of choices. I used to listen to grunge/alternative because it seemed to feed my need to wallow in negativity, and also because it wasn't the popular crap the top 40 had to offer, nor the too-harsh punk and metal I had loved in the 80s. I can definitely relate to the OP in that I often felt the songs related directly to my life. In the later 90s, I discovered alt-country which appeased my hankering for more melodic stuff while seeming to speak directly to my working-class upbringing and experiences. However, this genre also seemed to promote a focus on the negative and on the unfairness of life - again, something I obviously needed at the time as a struggling, very sick with PTSD and hiding from it/not knowing it, working single mother.

Lately, though since getting back together with my kid's musician dad (3 years ago) my exposure to different musics has widened tremendously and I find myself attracted to a lot of jazz, fusion, international music, 70s psychedelic rock, experimental electronic music and 20th/21st century classical. These genres are more "me" than any other musics it seems, as they are more likely (to me!) to represent massive creativity, iconoclasm, adventurousness and expression. Also the lack of lyrics in most of them encourage whatever thoughts (or no thoughts) in my head instead of feeding me information. I have become very wary of the subliminal messages which our culture and media are full of these days as I am trying to promote positivity for myself. I almost exclusively listen to instrumental music nowadays because of this belief, plus the expanse of imagination possible while listening to such music.

i like nirvana and korn and nin and kmfdm - well, grunge, numetal, industry etc... because it makes me feel happy.

I missed the whole grunge/alternative phenomenon, it happened when I was right in the middle of the trauma so slipped under my radar, same with "Brit pop", probably a good thing for me, recently I've rediscovered it, it's something without triggers attatched and I find a lot of the newer stuff is a little light on in the heart and soul deparment. That whole "happy, joy" thing just makes me depressed.

I like some blues as well, learning guitar at the moment, very relaxing, the rock stuff is a little repetative to play for my liking but blues is a little beyond my capacity as yet, still working on it.

I am a old punker . some of the newer stuff is good .Into the real heavy stuff that could be heard on collage radio .thers a great one out of nj its on the net wsou pirate radio . Allways like the rage, anti goverment , helpyourself , some of the stuff you can not understand the words but the sound is great . Sabbath after all 30 years there music if you listen to it is today

I said yes. Even though I don't listen to it all of the time, there are times when it fits my mood so then I do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back