• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Poll Do You See An End To The Symptoms In Your Life?

Do You See an End to the Symptoms in Your Life?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

anthony

Founder
This poll was originally from [DLMURL="http://www.ptsdforum.org/thread274.html"]Pita's questions[/DLMURL] in regard to her research. Please take the time to answer this as correctly as possible for PTSD research.

Last edited:
I have to say yes, otherwise I think I would prefer a curtain call :smile: . I have dealt with everything else so now I must deal with this. Then my life can move on again.

I know think I have had intermittent PTSD relating to psychological abuse/threats of violence.

Following assault/shooting/others they are present again.

I think anger management/forgiveness and moving from one chapter of your life to the next are important. It is possible to have good relationships again, trust has to be rebuilt, and in rebuilding that trust you need to understand why it is gone in the first place.

I disagree with calling it a mental disorder (as I don't want one thanks
:-) ) and also becuase I do not think it only affects select individuals. I think it can affect anyone with the 'correct' amount or level of stressors. It does need more time and a lot of personal work to be dealt with effectively, and that part has to come from me.

I don't think I can ever fully recover from the complex and long-running events of my growing up. There are too many wounds that need constant re-plugging and too much scar tissue that keeps getting ripped open at each new stage of life. I used to think I could sail away from my past, that time healed. Now I realise that at every stage of life I get re-traumatised by the abnormal, distorted person I am at all the usual landmarks in life. It seems to snowball as the years go by and I continue to fail to enjoy healthy fulfillment in any section of a usual life story. It just feeds on itself and I can't seem to grow out of it.

I know God has brought me this far, he didnt do it to drop me on my head.....I believe He wants me to live a happy and full life. The PTSD will teach me to care about me more and grow spiritually as I do not want to live life like it has been.

This being a chronic condition, the symptoms may recede, but if the stressors are present (or not dealt with) the symptoms come back.

I'd love to say yes, but being told my brain has been permenantly altered does not lead me to believe that it can be un-altered.

But I've come to the realization that I can still have a full, happy life-I've just got to adjust the way that I live it. That I can do.

Unfortunately I think I am starting to believe I will never be ok, or better. But that is possibly my state of mind right now talking....

Well you won't be who you were before the trauma, but I know you can get better and manage your PTSD, if you work hard enough on yourself. At least I'm hoping that's true!

No...I do not see and end to the symptoms. I have tried the counselling they offer were I live. I am hidden away in a room in the back and my treatment is listen to my cousellor read from a book about anxiety. If that is the only treatment I can get, I am better off without it. I was made to feel like a freak at my counselling sessions. Like I had some disease they didn't want others to know about. If that's the treatment for PTSD, then I will be like this forever.
Finding this site, is like my last hope.

I think the PTSD will always be with me, but hopefully in a weakened form.

I have great hope that eventually I will sleep through the night, that I will stop having flashbacks, that I will stop the related self-harm. I want to hope that I will eventually become a generally less anxious person.

But the hypervigilance and startling are so ingrained in me, I don't think they'll ever be gone. They spent too many years being programmed.

Reactions: Ron
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back