• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Poll Do You See An End To The Symptoms In Your Life?

Do You See an End to the Symptoms in Your Life?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
HI, Evie,

I don't think I will ever be free from it either. We have rather similar diagnosis and I have also recently had the brain scan done that shows brain damage from the trauma. I am also told that there are some things I will never ever be able to do. I am working right now on accepting that and not fighting against something I have no control over but I am not there yet. The sadness and grief is overwhelming most days. I would hazard a guess that you understand that.

Grace

Yup I totally understand that! It's hard. But it is very comforting to know that there are others in my situation, who have this severely and realize it's never going to be completely "cured". I get really sick of people saying they are symptom-free or that there is a cure. Sometimes I wonder if those people have the same illness as me??? It just gets old after a while, and it makes me feel bad, I feel judged to be honest. Like I'm somehow being negative. But I am NOT being negative... just realistic!! I am confident I will have a good life and be able to do lots of things. But I will never be completely symptom free. In my case, that's a fantasy.

Well you won't be who you were before the trauma, but I know you can get better and manage your PTSD, if you work hard enough on yourself. At least I'm hoping that's true!

I think I share your viewpoint here, Evie. Life pre-PTSD is gone. I believe, having struggled with PTSD since at least 13/14, that really I will never ever be 'cured' or 'PTSD free'. In a funny kind of way, I have to accept it as a part of me, who I am now. Though I don't know if I really believe it is a part of me, or something stuck to me... But I think to be 'PTSD free', I'd have to have total retrograde amnesia. As long as I remember my past, I will remember my traumas and my traumas give me PTSD. I do think I can get to a point where it is manageable to a point where I could be, for the most part, normally functioning. But I don't know to what extent I can achieve that.

Really, I just accept that for the rest of my life, there will be times where PTSD symptoms fluctuate, get worse, get better and the task now is to deal with the trauma and then to keep effects of PTSD at bay as much as possible.

Thinking I'm over it just keeps me in denial longer, so I fight with myself until I'm exhausted with months of screaming "What is wrong with me?!" at myself. What a waste of time. Better just to cut to the chase, and not spend all that time struggling with the wrong things.

No im afraid I have to say that I will always be me but I live in hope that things may get better one day. Others have told me that it can and I just have to cling onto that. Here's hoping

Both y pychiatirst and therapist are of complete belief that you can get over PTSD, that it is indeed curable. And I believe them, I know there is a light at the end of this tunnel, I just can't see it yet.

i voted yes, cause i am going to die trying. i'm going to manage the sh** out of this dis-ease. but i know the answer is no. my brain is completely altered, because i remember my life before the diagnosis.

i was diagnosed after gulf war, 15 years ago, and i'm not even a combat vet like the iraq vets.

i found this site today, thank god, because i know somehow it is going to help. marlene powerful post of acceptance kinda did me in.

Reactions: Zef
I have been dealing with this for years now...i feel that some days are manageable but when stress becomes high in my personal life my symptoms definately increase. I beleive we have to learn to live with it and deal with it on a daily basis. Just my opinion though and I have a severs bavk injury too and I think that exacerbates my symptoms too, somedays.

I vote yes, because it is already happened. It has been almost 4 years now since I have had symptoms associated with PTSD.

I have been doing so well, I thought I'd gotten well. Then, wham, I'm in the midst of depression again. I know that God is with me, but I feel alone in this as usual. I have to remind myself that I am not alone, even though I may feel alone.

Chissi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back