• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Do You Think The Past Or The Present Contributes More To Stress And Si?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tinyflame

MyPTSD Pro
Do you think current stressors, or the past, contributes more to Suicidal Ideation? if the present influences you more greatly, do you think it's because of similar happenings you can identify in your history, or just because it's just more stressful in the present? What do you think?

Thank you for the help, I am trying to figure this out. It seems to me that the answer would influence whether it's helpful to disclose or not, and whether or not disclosing might help (or hinder, or be neutral) in reducing SI.

Yes, in a way. Thank you @Mim28 .

In other words it's worse +/or causes more stress because of the past, & your self-judgment?

Because lately people have been telling me I have little stress. I have loads of stress, I started to ask myself 'from what?" Now I just have to figure if it's current happenings, or if current happenings have more negative impact because of similar past happenings. (Versus ptsd itself just causing SI regardless of current happenings. )

For me, for sure, the past has a huge impact...it's seems the natural line of thought for me when I am bogged down with stresses of today. My mind goes down the road of hopelessness and the feeling of no escape. I have got to say though, that the thought of suicide has given me a feeling of much needed escape from the stresses...it helps me escape them for a while.

I do not have SI unless I am severely depressed. Then it's a combo of past and present. The past because I can only see broken and damaged Ladee. The present because in like so many, simply get weary from having to deal with the ups and downs.
I can say if I share my feelings and thoughts, it does help to lighten the load. Then I am better equipped to sort out what I need to do to get myself out of the SI thinking.
When I am depressed I have to own that my thinking is distorted. And it helps to talk it out. .
This is a tough one For you @Junebug . you know you can PM me and I will listen. Just for you to get it out. Will only give feedback if you ask. Sometimes we just need to talk. I am here for you. Gentle hugs for you my friend.

Do you think current stressors, or the past, contributes more to Suicidal ideation?
For me, it's that the past will not get out of my present - creating a kind of double-layer of stress. I can't manage the pain of the memory, and I can't manage the way it infects my present thinking. That's what it feels like when it's bad, for me. Moreso, that it's going to be like this forever. So, then the future hovers over the past and the present, and it starts to be very hard to see why staying alive is actually a good idea.

Do you think current stressors, or the past, contributes more to Suicidal Ideation?

The past, for me, absolutely.

2 pronged.
- Mixing up then & now, when then suicide was my only option & now it isn't.
- The things I cannot put right. Because they're in the past.

ETA... 3 things! What @joeylittle said. That, too. In a really big way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back