• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

News Doctor-Assisted Death For Those Living With Ptsd

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw this really good movie filmed in Jerusalem about dying on ones own terms, with loved ones present. It was fiction, of course. Probably the most terrifying comedy I've seen since that Roberto Benigni film Life is Beautiful. A joy and sorrow was upon me afterwards. My friend had me watch it because he was contemplating dying with dignity.

LD

I live in a 'Right To Die State'

My father shot himself in the head when I was 8...instead of dying a slow and painful death. He chose to blow his brains out while I was at school, leaving himself sprawled across the hallway outside my bedroom door.

Bastard.

I get people want a way out of suffering, but does it REALLY END THE SUFFERING? Or does it simply pass the buck to the next guy(or family members) who have to see, deal or comprehend the choice to end a life before its time. You don't have to get better, you don't have to seek all options, you can choose to wither away and die in missery(because PTSD isn't 'terminal')

But I'll be damned if you should be allowed to have someone help you end your life. Just do it yourself, your f*cking your loved ones either way.

Dumbasses...

I'm not real sure about this. My opinion is quite mixed. Do you want die because of PTSD or because you're d...
when my c-ptsd was at it's worst (which lasted years) i wanted to die 24/7 and now that it's eased up i can honestly say i am grateful that suicide wasn't an option for me...it is incredibly hard to get through those long days and even longer nights, but please do whatever it takes to get through it, someday you'll feel better and you will be grateful you made it through too. and once you've made it through that you KNOW you can get through anything...

I'm sorry for that @Panda Bear . No words. :(

Out here, 'terminal' is not likely to be the sole determining criteria. Actually, unlikely, though that's how it began. Let's put it this way, it's on the table to expand inclusion for qualifying, greatly.

But, what about those who have no one? I suppose it's a rhetorical question, in so far as when you don't there's no who really would know/ or care, either way. But who or how can anyone who is not affected, judge when they don't contribute to the solution? (Not speaking of family, etc, but others.)

What was your turning point @chrissym ?

I guess what I find hard to wrap my mind around, is being intimately aware and involved (on both sides, sufferer & caregiver of others) with ptsd, cancer, palliative care,. planned (by natural means) death at home, dementia etc., I can only say the ptsd causes more emotional suffering or daily distress +/or pain than for example cancer, unless very advanced, and for example complications from say Diabetes can cause more issues than cancer, even when not palliative. But most people don't question assisted death for palliative cases, but many palliative people far outlive their prognosis, & I can say the ones I care for have a better quality of life than I do, in many respects, they are loved, safe, physical pain managed,cared for, relatively little emotional distress relative to the gravity of their diagnosis, & their needs met (less stress, fear).

Last edited:
But I think the fact that something can exist, or will exist (in this case phys.-assisted-death here), doesn't make it something productive or helpful (aside from moral issues). It surely doesn't encourage acceptance or support, or encouragement to fight/ overcome it.

I was thinking about it, & I think it ends up kind of a polarized discussion that isn't actually well-informed. With PTSD, depression, other, frequently there can be times where the bad days outnumber the good, versus people with good intentions who however themselves have more good days than bad, not being able to grasp that difference. However, the fact remains it's harder (out here) to find support or care than it is to sweep the problem(s) out of sight. Most people aren't informed about these illnesses, & like some other Canadian said above, they'll fund it but not therapy (only psychiatrists re: meds, but even the meds aren't covered without private insurance. For the same reason, I would never call an ambulance, for myself anyway, here because it would cost ~500$).

I'm sorry for that @Panda Bear . No words. :(

Out here, 'terminal' is not likely to b...
i think it took a lot of time and therapy, a lot of therapy! and slowly, very slowly i just started feeling better, the nightmares stopped and gradually i started feeling a little better but i can't say what it was exactly that turned me around, i was a horrible mess for at least 7-8 years, in and out of psych hospitals. once it started easing up i gradually started getting off all of the psych meds i'd been on for years and added marijuana instead and i'm so much better now...i'm still not myself but at least my life is bearable and i actually have good days, which i never thought i'd see again...i still have a hard time with severe panic attacks and anxiety, being around people is still hard too but compared to how i felt before, i'll take this any day! Good luck to all of you BE STRONG and don't give up, you have to fight!

I've never thought of that @Knak . Best if possible to find how to enjoy life rather th...
Just another thing to do. How do you enjoy life except do what you want and don't do what you don't want to do?

I am so tired right now due to my bad choices. I wish life was just "accommodate to whatever comes" but that is how I got in this mess in the first place.

I project what would happen if I did what I wanted to do. I would lose contacts that all take effort to maintain for the sake of emotional health. I would lose credibility, the reason another person would care to keep my acquaintance. I would lose habits that maintain health, cleanliness, order.

I refuse to take the easy way out and lie for convenience because of self respect and to depend on my memory. It causes problems with people, but I can't trust anyone who think it isn't important.

Just living with a compulsive liar and gaslighter has made me lose my memory. He puts me down and yells if I ask him to change a habit that I have to clean up after. All he wants to do is argue so I avoid him and try to live my own life.

I am scared to go out. How do I have fun with that hanging over me for the last 55 years? I am afraid of people. I was brought up not to defend myself and I tend to believe the bad they impose on me. My brain is suspicious and I can't tell if someone is lying to get what they want from me. I have given away so much to people who don't care about the time and effort I spend.

I would love to live on the beach and have a boat or jet ski. My husband doesn't want to be with me and doesn't want me to go with him to anything he enjoys that I would enjoy. He won't travel where I want to go or do what I want to do. I have often been victimized when alone so am too scared to go by myself.

That is why I am just waiting it out.

I hope @Knak the waiting can be used more on a daily basis to gain some inner strength & peace? I think learning boundaries helps to adopt new ways of thinking, feeling & reacting. Is it possible to devote a little time each day to something that my appeal to you & is not dependent on others, even reading or going for a cup of coffee? You mention travel, do you have the resources to devote to some 'creature comforts'? Could you use time working with something you love, time at an animal shelter, volunteering in neo-natal care (I would love to be a 'hugger' :) ). Just ideas. I don't know if you can make changes with your marriage, or if the alternative makes for new problems. One thing I've found is that one thing I can have say in are my own internal thoughts about a situation, regardless of verbal abuse, though it can be tricky. But it would be better to not be in abuse. :hug:

I hope @Knak the waiting can be used more on a daily basis to gain some inner strength...
I know the abuse is poisoning me but can't get out.

As far as doing something that I like, I run around like an idiot with 100 different projects losing track, burning food, leaving things out in the weather, losing important information and spending as much time looking for something I need as doing things.

I am very creative and productive and like to show it off so others see what I can do. It leads to jobs at times but working with people is usually a disappointment. I have too many irons in the fire and burn myself out since I am a perfectionist. I have ADD so make a lot of mistakes, e.g., it takes 2- 5 hours just to write an email.

My cats and birds and gardening are my joys. Wish I could be comfortable with people but not gonna happen.

@Knak That's good, nature & animals, nothing wrong with that. And a burnt dish is ok as long as the house isn't in danger of burning down! :eek: :) Do you use meds, or exercise- running, cycling etc, or finding what you love? Again, mistakes just mean you're 'living', not so important unless it's brain-surgery, or end-of-the-world. Maybe counseling?

I think, as per the topic of this thread (not to hijack), the thing with this decision is that it is focused on the intolerable-ness of the ptsd proper (well, the projection of the choice to stop unbearable suffering). There are healthier ways for you to get support though, would a women's shelter help, to speak with?

Hugs to you, maybe it would help to make a thread?

@Knak That's good, nature & animals, nothing wrong with that. And a burnt dish is ok as...
yes I don't want to hijack the topic but to answer, I got into emotional trouble through counseling recently, after going 7 years to same person. Been to many over 44 years.

I do stuff at home because I have agoraphobia and cannot force myself to leave home or seek people. I've thought of a shelter but am afraid or projecting it would be worse as I get easily depressed, withdrawn and paranoid with changes and the unknown. I do what I can to see other people. It is an unresolvable disease.

If it weren't for meds. I wouldn't be able to even talk on this forum. I am totally dependent on them for social interaction. I often consider a thread but can't organize mixed thoughts or what I hope to gain. Thanks and grateful. Will try a thread when I can.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back