1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

Does a difficult/traumatic childhood lead to future self-harm and harm to others?

Discussion in 'Studies & Research' started by KGDPsych, Oct 7, 2017.

1. KGDPsych

KGDPsych New Member

Does a difficult/traumatic childhood lead to future self-harm and harm to others, and if it does, how can we reduce this?

This online research is open to all adults and therefore whether you have had a difficult childhood or not, or self harmed or not. Literally any adult willing to participate can help to potentially shape future services for those that have, and need help, as well as reduce self harm and crime.

Please help by completing this anonymous survey. It takes approximately 20 minutes. If you interested in taking part please click the link below and read the information provided before deciding if you are happy to participate. Your participation will help to answer this important question and hopefully find ways to support those that have experienced difficult childhoods, prevent self harm and harm to others.

Link:
    https://nbsntu.eu.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_0PYfN3JCQjStnJX

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2017
    Sunfl0wer and digger like this.
  2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. joeylittle

joeylittle ˁ˚ᴥ˚ˀ All howl, no bite Administrator Generous $250+

@KGDPsych - your link is up.

Anyone interested: the first page of the link goes into more detail about who @KGDPsych is, and where they are conducting this research from.

Fadeaway and ladee like this.
  4. KGDPsych

KGDPsych New Member

Thank you!

5. shimmerz

shimmerz My silence spoke a thousand words you never heard Premium Member

It's hard to fill out. Too overwhelming.

6. KGDPsych

KGDPsych New Member

The survey does ask a lot of questions so it is important to ensure you have time. You can also take a break from it when you need to and return to it later.

I know there is a number of questions, so I completely understand, but if you are willing to persevere with it and help then hopefully the research will have a big impact on services in the future.

Thank you so much those that have considered participating in this research and I am incredibly grateful to all those that have completed it.

Fadeaway and digger like this.
  7. Fadeaway

Fadeaway I'm a VIP Donated

I really appreciated the fact that it didn't make the assumption that all people were raised by "mom and dad."

I have taken a lot of surveys posted on this site and often I feel quite critical afterwards due to the wording of the questions. I often feel like I can't honestly or accurately respond to the question or that my response is misleading due assumptions made about "family." It may seem like a simple thing but it is emotionally significant and meaningful to me when people show sensitivity to the topic because most people don't.

8. Justmehere

Justmehere Defying the odds Moderator Premium Member

The way the questions are formatted is a bit confusing. It would help if the type before each set of questions was made bold faced to stand out more to make it easier to follow.

I hope the data that comes out of this helps further your education and spurs on other research.

shimmerz likes this.
  9. KGDPsych

KGDPsych New Member

Thank you all for the feedback.

I'm glad the childhood questionnaire is capturing a wider range of family dynamics. It is a fairly new measure and i liked it for similar reasons to which you highlight. Thank you, I'm certainly hoping that the research will influence future services, with all of your help participating I will continue to do everything I can.

I apologise that the format can lead to confusion. It's quite hard to do an electronic version as you only have so much control. I will try and see if i can amend it as per your suggestions. I'm just conscious that it may not be easily changed now it is live. I really appreciate your perseverance with it though.

shimmerz and Justmehere like this.
  10. shimmerz

shimmerz My silence spoke a thousand words you never heard Premium Member

I did eventually get through it. Many of the initial questions I had to say never to because the other options didn't quite capture my experiences. The section on family dynamics was very in tune to my reality though. Good luck with your survey.

KGDPsych and Justmehere like this.