1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

Does Another in Your Family Suffer Stress?

Discussion in 'Polls' started by anthony, Nov 7, 2007.

Does Another Family Member Suffer Stress in Any Regard?

1. Yes

42 vote(s)
    97.7%
  2. No (Think Hard Before Answering)

1 vote(s)
    2.3%
  1. anthony

anthony Renovation Aficionado Founder

Does someone else in your family tree suffer stress of any sort??? This is about genetics to PTSD itself.

2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. batgirl

batgirl I'm a VIP

I'm not sure how to answer because it's not clear to me what you're asking. Do you mean other people in the family with lesser anxiety disorders such as GAD or Panic Disorder but not full blown PTSD? Or do you mean anyone who has trouble with stress? The problem is most people have some trouble with stress don't they?

4. Lisa

Lisa Well-Known Member

Yes. My mum and my brother both suffer anxiety, enough to be on medication.

A lot of my mum's side of the family suffer anxiety, and a lot of my dad's side of the family suffer more severe psychiatric disorders.

5. nor

nor Well-Known Member

Absolutely!

My sister suffers from severe OCD which is exasberated by stress. She has been on medication for years.

Knowing the signs of OCD, my sister and I have also noticed how much my mother has difficulty dealing with any stress at all, and how her "routines" become more exaggerated when she is up against anything stressful. She was also known to use various tranquilizers for extended periods of time, when she was younger.

We all seem to react the same ways (in varying degrees) when responding to stress.

nor

6. Claire

Claire Well-Known Member

What do you mean by 'stress' exactly? How serious do you mean?

7. Marlene

Marlene I'm a VIP Premium Member

If you're asking about the stress from different sorts of anxiety disorders and/or other psychiatric disorders...then my answer is yes. My mom deals with anxiety and depression and my brother is bi-polar.

Lisa

8. rt1967

rt1967 Active Member

Mostly i would say my Dad although there are things on my Mums side too .recently through my brothers interest in family tree discovered my mothers grandmother is buried at and spent several years at ex psychiatric hospital just a couple of hundred feet away from my home.So yes on both sides.And much more than i can understand .I'd like to learn more about stress , i do believe it affects everyone to varying degrees.

9. anthony

anthony Renovation Aficionado Founder

Evie, stress in general, and your answer is YES, as Brian had PTSD as did Eric. This topic is not about PTSD, it is about stress. If someone suffers stress in your family, it means they have time off work due to being over-stressed, or that they are easily stressed, high strung, become quite anxious quite fast, can become easily stressed if put in a situation they are not comfortable and do not recover quickly, etc etc....

This is about stress, genetics, anxiety and PTSD relations.

10. batgirl

batgirl I'm a VIP

Oh okay thanks for the clarification, I wasn't sure if PTSD was included or not. Anyways I voted yes in that case, as you said Brian and Eric had it, also the family suspects my paternal grandfather had PTSD too, because he was a different person when he came back from being a POW in Korea, could never work again and basically drank himself to death. And Dad (Jim) had combat stress in the 70s but it never turned into PTSD.

11. Kathy

Kathy I'm a VIP

Evie has already voted, however I am letting her vote for her father's side of the family, and I am voting for my side of the family. ;) In retrospect, I suspect my uncle had PTSD after serving in WW2. Additionally, there are several members of the Walsh family (my maiden name) who suffer panic and generalized anxiety.

12. permban0077

permban0077 Policy Enforcement Banned

My mom and twin sister suffer from anxiety and panic attacks. They seem surprised that mine seem to go off the charts in comparison to theirs. Sometimes they will take meds, but normally they get the one cycle of 10 or 15 minutes and are just done. To me that is the amazing part.

13. hodge

hodge I'm a VIP Premium Member

My mom has been on tranquilizers since before she was pregnant with me. My dad has been understandably stressed from his career as a firefighter/emt. My full brother exhibits symptoms of anxiety. I'm not sure about my half-siblings. I think there are at least eating disorder issues with them. I know there was considerable stress in my father's parents' relationship. He was an abusive alcoholic. And his wife had a schizophrenic troublesome mother. I don't know about my mom's parents. Everyone depicts them as great, kind people. One reason it's such a mystery to us why my mom is the way she is.