• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Does Anyone Else Get Triggered By The Weather Forecast?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nycowboy

Confident
Hi. All of you are so helpful to me.

I have an issue with the weather forecast/overly-enthusiastic weather people on TV. I know the solution is to turn them off and not listen, and I'm getting better than I was.

With me it goes like this: watch weather. Watch weather guy say how PICTURE PERFECT the weather will be for the WEEKEND, so go and GRAB YOUR SUNGLASSES folks and make some GREAT PLANS.!!!!!!!!!! EVERY WEEKEND MOMENT COUNTS!! Go for an ice cream....

and it goes on and on.

When I hear stuff like that, I get depressed. I feel like I'm useless and trapped because I don't have any plans. I feel like everyone else (ha ha) is going to have the BEST WEEKEND EVER and mine will be, well, just ordinary. I'm a church organist so I have to play for church on Saturday at 4 and Sunday at 10:30 so it is hard for us to get away.

Lately (since last Labor Day) I made a pact with myself not to get stuck at home on the weekend. I go horseback riding, take the kids somewhere in the car, go for a hike, etc. So I am getting better.

But I find that golly-gee weather guy triggers me a lot. It is one of those things that has become ingrained in my mind and is so hard to get rid of.

Does anyone else feel that way or have the same issue?

Anyone that is over the top -happy happy happy- just simply get on my nerves.. Real life is not like that.. and any time I have met someone in person that is that way.... you can look in their eyes and tell how disconnected they are. No triggers per se, they just irritate me.:cautious:
I know that didn't answer your question... sorry.:sorry:

I wouldn't say I get triggered by this sort of thing, but similar things do make me slightly depressed -- announcements about festivals and outdoor activities in the sunshine, things like that. I live right across from a very popular tourist site in my city, and there are constantly events being held there. More often than not, I find this depressing as I watch from my balcony. Because I get this notion that everyone else is happy and living a wonderful, fulfilling life as they all walk around in groups, socializing. It's the same feeling I sometimes get when looking at other people's Facebook pages. But I think it's something that you can get past (or at least get under control) by just constantly reminding yourself that no one is as happy and carefree as the weatherman wants you to believe. And also, you need to think about what exactly it is you feel you are missing that other people are getting if they make great weekend plans -- is it that you really want to spend some time in the sunshine and outdoors? Or that you want to feel a connection with other human beings that would allow you to feel happy if you were in a crowd? Try to pinpoint what you really want and what is preventing you from getting it. And then plan some baby steps that would get you closer to your goal.

Hi. All of you are so helpful to me.

I have an issue with the weather forecast/overly-enthusiastic w...
I get Mad...Because, it's Speculation....50% chance they ll get it right...., news is stupid drama! I Don't watch it, but often want to....I get mad or find fault with most Things though!!!

Casey: thanks! My "thing" is "want[ing] to feel a connection with other human beings..." My old old story that replays in my mind is that "I'm different." "I don't belong."

And with me, yes, festivals are a BIG trigger. Same thing: everyone else WILL BE HAVING FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!! Why aren't you having fun? You must be a loser.

Same old old story.

Oh if someone is too happy happy, it almost seems like I set out to burst that bubble, or else, I leave them, avoid them...separate myself, or change that sunshine you attitude

I find myself compulsively checking the weather to see if it will rain on the weekend so that everyone else will be miserable and stuck inside so I can have some peace and quiet. Or if the USA is competing against some other country in some sports event, I'll root for the other team to win. Or the "hometown heroes" to lose in March Madness, etc, etc.

I'm not as bad about this as I used to be.

My "thing" is "want[ing] to feel a connection with other human beings..." My old old story that replays in my mind is that "I'm different." "I don't belong."
I get that feeling all the time, and I'd guess many other people on this forum do too. I don't think it will ever fully go away. But what I have found is that I have gradually become more accepting of being "different" and not really belonging. There are times when I feel like I should be attending parties and socializing with people my age ... but then I picture myself at a party, imagine what the conversations would be like, and realize I'm really more content reading a book or watching a film. Or chatting one on one with someone I know is on the same level as me. That old cliche "it's always greener on the other side" is true here -- it always seems like things are more exciting and rewarding when you don't have them/aren't experiencing them yourself. So I guess you have to remind yourself that yes, you are different in some ways -- but that's not a bad thing. It just means you have to be more selective about who you connect with. And would you really be happy doing what everyone else is doing and being "normal?"

Yes. Not with the weather forecast in particular, though. It's about weekends, about holidays, about anything where the assumption is "everyone" shares the experience of enjoying time with their families. What about people who don't have families/don't get along with their families/don't have money to do what others are doing? The continual reminders of how we are supposed to be feeling grate on me. It's much easier on a day that is just any other day, with no particular pressure to be happy.

"Everyone else is happy/having fun"...big time cognitive distortion. Big time! Happiness all the time? Not possible, unless you're high or manic.

Most humans don't spend the bulk of their day doing the happy dance - that's pure myth. And it's a myth that Depression Brain loves to beat us up with, because it can spawn so much other negative self-talk.

Would it help to remind yourself that the weather guy is paid big bucks to do his OTT 5 minute weather report that way? The alternative would be, "Yeah, so it's gonna be picture perfect weather but, meh, probly you're all either working overtime or at home recovering from life and the ridiculous expectations that we in the media are constantly feeding you..."

How he's behaving is as much of a ruse as the big map behind him. In real life, he talks to a giant green screen for 5 minutes with his happy face on, then goes back to being a normal human between takes;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back