• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Does Anyone Else Have Trouble With Strangers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am a little late to contribute to this thread but the mention of dogs reminded me of a page I found a little while ago. I skimmed through it when I found it but I think that some here might find it more useful. It describes the utility of dogs for people with PTSD, anxiety, depression, etc. It is: http://www.iaadp.org/psd_tasks.html.

Oh thanks for the contribution Andre, I appreciate it. I have bookmarked the site. I think there's a post somewhere else on the forum about using service dogs, but I don't remember where it is.

I seem to be a bit of a magnet to the loonies and nutters as well. They seem drawn to me which I find very annoying, maybe I feel intimidated and I try and just ignore them.
Here in Scotland a lot of them are Junkies or drunks, and I don't really feel sorry for junkies. Nobody put a gun to their head and told them to do it. What annoys me is the dealers who wait outside schools trying to sell the drugs to young kids. I would like to put them up against a wall and shoot them, they are nothing but "Scum".
I'm afraid that being Scottish I'm not afraid to say what I mean, I'm not Politically Correct and I'm glad of that, I call a spade a spade, not a digging implement.:kickass:
What are your views on this. I would love to hear from you on this subject of Political Correctness.

I think I can say as a whole in general, most of us prefer the straight shooter. Sugar coating makes you sick after a while. I will take a straight shooter any day.

Oh you're Scottish, cool, so was my mum (she's deceased). My maternal grandparents and some other relatives live in Fife. I lived in Scotland when I was about 4 (?) I think, for a short time, when my father was stationed at Faslane. I was born in Germany while my parents were stationed there, but I have citizenship in the UK and Canada, and pretty much grew up in Canada, as my father was Canadian. Military family, so it's a bit confusing...
Political correctness? Actually I don't think about it much. I try to be respectful of other people but I don't go overboard either. I appreciate people being upfront about things, my family is very blunt, and I was raised that way. I'm probably less PC than most in my generation. In university I had trouble with people because I wasn't completely anti-war, and I said some words (don't remember which now), that apparently you aren't supposed to say haha.

I don't know what Scotland is like at the moment, but here in Canada there are so many euphemisms for things, the native peoples of Canada is a really good example. You can't call them Indians, or Natives, or Eskimos (in the far north), as those terms are all considered insulting now. The correct terms are "First Nations" or "aboriginals" or "indigenous peoples"... and the far north people are called the Inuit. And if a First Nations person is gay, you have to call them "Two-spirited". You're not supposed to say "disabled"... instead it's "differently-abled". You're not supposed to say "prostitute", it's "sex trade worker". Etc, etc... it does get kind of silly. Not to mention Orwellian.

Shooting people lol, not sure I'd go that far. I mean yes it's frustrating to see people hanging out on the street doing drugs, but you never know what's happened in their past to make them get to that point. My cousin's buddy from the military was homeless on the street in Vancouver for a while, because he has PTSD. Usually I look at people and rather than judging them, I think to myself I'm fortunate to not be in their situation. I do hate it if they approach me though!!!

Anyways thanks for bringing up the PC topic.... basically I think the world is too PC.

Dealers in front of schools I think he was refering to shooting... Druggies sad, you can't tell who just wanted a thrill and who is like us just trying to kill the pain and not know how. And yes, our frustrations can come out loud and clear in the BS in the world especially when we have so much anger.

I came across a tacky bumper sticker I almost got but since I am new in this little town I am not so sure I will order it anytime soon... (I like changing out my bumper stickers except one I need to replace). Said something along the lines of save a child, shoot a pedophile. Uh, yep sums up how I felt but since my house I rent now is owned by the local church I have to behave LOL.

PC sucks. Thankfully those around me are used to me not being so. And I thought prostitute was the nice term, guess I am out of the loop.

Hi Batgirl how are you. Thanks for your reply. I know Faslane very well, been up there a few times and visited the local town of Helensburgh many times. I stay in a small town called Irvine, which is on the West Coast about 40 miles south of Glasgow. I used to go on holiday to the town of Dunoon which is where the American Sub Base was on the Holy Loch. It is very quiet there now but still very beautiful. I've met a few Canadian Soldiers whilst I was stationed in Germany, great guys and just like us in their professionalism, especially the guys from the Canadian Black Watch, and the Glengarry Highlanders. We have a lot in common. Your boys are doing a geat job in Afghanistan along with our boys.
Where in Scotland was your Mother from. As to your problem about speaking the truth, don't worry about it, as your Gran would say, "You've got a good Scots Tongue in your head, use it." which means speak your mind. And if others don't like it tell them to get a life. Your half Scottish, be proud of that.
When I was in Germany with my regiment (I served in an English County Regiment called the Cheshires, The only Jock in the Battalion, which I'm very proud about) I used to were the kilt quite a lot, and I used to go about on a motor bike with it on. Which used to raise a few eyebrows with the German Police.
Talk to you again soon
Scott:naughty:

veiled said:
Dealers in front of schools I think he was refering to shooting...

Oh okay well yeah I agree with that then!!

I came across a tacky bumper sticker I almost got but since I am new in this little town I am not so sure I will order it anytime soon... (I like changing out my bumper stickers except one I need to replace). Said something along the lines of save a child, shoot a pedophile.

OMG that's actually pretty funny. My favorite one though is still (hope I don't offend anyone!!),
"Jesus Loves You - Everyone Else Thinks You're An Asshole"!

PC sucks. Thankfully those around me are used to me not being so. And I thought prostitute was the nice term, guess I am out of the loop.

Well where I live prostitution is legal, and the government controls it to a large extent, so I guess "sex trade worker" looks better than "prostitute" on government and tax forms. ;)

I've met a few Canadian Soldiers whilst I was stationed in Germany, great guys and just like us in their professionalism, especially the guys from the Canadian Black Watch, and the Glengarry Highlanders. We have a lot in common. Your boys are doing a geat job in Afghanistan along with our boys.

Wow Scott small world, one of my cousins is in the Black Watch militia right now. I mean he is if it's the same organization as this emblem ... see the image I attached... is that the same Black Watch as you're speaking of? My granddad as well... he was in the 1st Batallion I believe (?), as part of the 5th Canadian Brigade that landed in Normandy in 1944.

Glad you got along with the Canadian soldiers, my Uncle Jim would be pleased to hear that, he's in Afghanistan at the moment.

Where in Scotland was your Mother from.

My mother was originally from Dunfermline, Fife, although I don't have any relatives in that town anymore that I'm aware of.

Where in Scotland was your Mother from. As to your problem about speaking the truth, don't worry about it, as your Gran would say, "You've got a good Scots Tongue in your head, use it." which means speak your mind. And if others don't like it tell them to get a life. Your half Scottish, be proud of that.

Thanks! :) I definitely am proud of my heritage. I hope to return to Scotland for a visit someday.

I used to were the kilt quite a lot, and I used to go about on a motor bike with it on. Which used to raise a few eyebrows with the German Police.

OMG hahaha. Did you wear anything underneath?!? I probably shouldn't be asking that. You don't have to answer.

Evie :)

Attachments

• officialbw.jpg
    officialbw.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 123
Hi Batgirl, Evie. How are you. Thanks for your reply.
My mother was from Lanarkshire, and my Grandmother was from Clydebank. My Aunt lives up in Fife in a village called Windygates which is just outside Kirkaldy.
The Black Watch is a great regiment, Red Hackle and all. Unfortunately thanks to Tony Blair, they are no more they were amalgamated last year with 5 other Scottish Regiments to become the Royal Regiment of Scotland. My Grandfather was in the Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders and fought in North Africa, Italy, Normandy and Germany. His father was in the same regiment in WW1, and his father fought in the Boer War in the Argylls as well. But they would be spinning in their graves that I served in an English Regiment, but proud as well.
We still get a lot of satisfaction when we beat the English at Soccer or Rugby.
In answer to your question. No I did not wear anything under my kilt, I'm a true Scotsman LOL.
Have you seen the movie Braveheart, it is great, Mel Gibson's accent is good.
Cheers Evie
Scott:crazy:

Oh that sucks, no Black Watch anymore. We still have it here obviously. I take it you don't like Tony Blair lol? I don't think many do.

It's always interesting to me to hear who has had family in various wars, I'm always curious if people knew my family members, etc. I should do some research on that at some point.

LOL about nothing under your kilt!!! Yes I've seen Braveheart, more than once. It's a good movie, although sad.

Evie :)

Hi Evie, Batgirl. Yes Tony Blair is very unpopular here he is regarded as George Bush's lap dog. I'm not anti-war but I wish he would give our troops the kit that they need.
The most hated figure here is the French President Jaques Chirac, or Le Worm as people call him, he is nothing but a back stabber.
Did you know that when people in France join the Army they have to learn 2 words in German. I SURRENDER. LOL.
Take care, that lake you talked about sounds a great place.
Scott:biggrin:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back