1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

Does Anyone Garden?

Discussion in 'Social' started by Marilyn_S, Mar 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marilyn_S

Marilyn_S Well-Known Member

Hi! Just thought I'd see if anyone out there has Spring fever and has anyone planted potatoes yet? I just planted mine today. The sky is very overcast but the temperature is beautiful in Missouri today. Its in the 60's. I planted them first in the house and let them grow a while then I replanted them outside today. I plan to do some canning this fall. Does anyone can?

Take Care
    Marilyn

Not growing any of this though, :pot: Just potatoes, tomatos, green beans, and herbs: (echenacia, chamomile, lavender, thime, dill, garlic, onion, & mullein).

2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. Marilyn_S

Wow! I forgot to say, Today as I was planting i noticed that in my old herb bed there was some new mullein coming up and that my sage had lasted through the winter! I am excited about this because herbs have been so hard for me to grow in the black clay like (gumbo) soil where I live. Its great for walnuts, pecans, and black jack trees, but hard as hech on other stuff. I don't really want to use a bunch of artificual stuff so to nitrate the soil I'm going to plant some legums, like green beans, and brussel sprouts. If anybody has any suggestions, just hollar at me!!! lol! That's my ozark talk for post or PM me.

4. Marlene

Marlene I'm a VIP Premium Member

Used to garden like a fiend...I'm not sure how or why I got out of the habit. It seems like the older my girls got, the busier I got and the less time there was for working in the garden.

In the next few years (after my youngest graduates from high school) we're moving to northern Florida to a more rual setting. Hopefully that will give me the impetus to get back into it.

5. cookie

cookie I'm a VIP

haven't gardened much since we left the farm, but i miss it. haven't canned since then, either, lol. actually gave my canner to my mother a while back. you can't buy green beans in any way, shape, or form, that are as good as home canned.
    cathy

6. Linda

Linda Well-Known Member

Oh, you woken the sweetest memories in me!
    In Russia, we greatly relied on the food we grow or gather. I had a large vegetable garden, and grew potato (a lot of potato!), squashes, herbs, carrot, onions, radish, turnip, cabbage, tomatos, cucumbers, and so on. Also, I was hunting mushrooms and berries in the forest. I loved work in the earth so much. It relaxed and calmed me.
    Unortuantely, living conditions to not allow me a garden now :dontknow:

7. Marilyn_S

Awe, Linda, thanks. Can you do indoor gardening?

8. Jim

Jim Well-Known Member

The wife and I garden. Though it's quite the challenge in Newfoundland, with the short growing season, wind, fog, lack of sunlight and lack of soil. We don't call Newfoundland "The Rock" for nothing. ;-)

Have a greenhouse. Grow most of the common vegetables. They all begin and spend a good portion of their lives in that greenhouse. Most years there is risk of frost until late May, sometimes well into June. No outdoor planting for quite some time yet. For flowers, my wife is rather creative. She's collected numerous wild flower seeds from our area, also many from Labrador, as well as Arctic flowers. She plants them among the many rocks in our garden. They do well as this is their natural habitat.

Jim.

9. Terry

Terry Well-Known Member

I like accidental gardening. I just throw veggies out in the flower bed and see what comes up. When I was a kid, dad had a 2 acre garden that I spent all my summers in (not my idea) so I don't get too excited about gardening. I am gonna put in tomatos this year. BLTs and Rag bologna and tomato sandwiches...yumyumyum...

10. Linda

Linda Well-Known Member

Jim,
    your post almost made me crying as I remembered poor marshy land I had in my homecountry. We had frosts until about middle May, and many of our vegetables had to grow in the greenhouse. We used real cow manewr to feed our plants. But we were able to grow enough potato and other stuff for the whole winter.
    My land was feeding us.
    It is unbelievable how much I loved it.

11. batgirl

batgirl I'm a VIP

Yeah you're originally from Russia right, Linda? Parts of Canada are very similar in climate and terrain to parts of Russia, according to some of the people I've from there. And yeah Newfoundland & Labrador has a harsh climate but we love it!

Well my family is going to force me to garden soon I'm sure, to help earn my keep on the acreage. Plus they say it's "good for the soul". Actually I really like planting seeds. Also picking fruits and vegetables when they're ripe. Not too crazy about weeding though.

12. Linda

Linda Well-Known Member

Batgirl, I think that any kind of nature-related work, with animals or plants, is good for your soul. Take it as an opportunity to better yourself and to help you family. I am very earthy, so for me gardening is a healing.
    I would love to be in Russia now - at this time, we start to prepare our village houses (called DACHA) for the spring season.

13. Marilyn_S

Thanks to all of you for your nice responces to this thread. I am enjoying the begining of spring so much. There is a meadow lark just singing up a storm on my fence post out side. I can already hear the wood peckers ddddddttttttttdddddddttttttt, at the trees. Isn't God's creation absolutely wonderful! My potatoes are doing good. I am planting brussel sprouts and squash today. If there comes a slight frost I can cover them with plastic bags before hand. I'l be si glad when my wild flowers come up: (Queen Anns Lace, Byson Eyes, Indian Paint Brush, Cone Flowers aka Ecanechia, Johnicals...) I live in a wooded area completely surrounded by meadows. I also live inbetween two very beautiful rivers. One is brown with a muddy bottom and lots of cat fish. The other is rocky bottom with a green color because of all the beautiful moss growing on the rocks. It is so beautiful to watch the gentle trickling water roll over the smooth mossy green rocks. It is expecially pretty to see it in spring when the red buds, cotton wood, cherry, and dog wood are blossoming because the wind carries their falling blooms to the streams and they gently float over the waves made by the rocks below the water. Hope everyone is doing well today.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Show Sidebar