1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

Does Anyone Get Severe Canker Sores?

Discussion in 'Social' started by Seeking_Nirvana, Oct 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Seeking_Nirvana

Seeking_Nirvana I'm a VIP

I've been drinking the Flor Essence tea for 4 days now. I'm still having headaches everyday and I have these horrible canker sores in my mouth.

I can't even talk or eat with out severe pain. There is no cure for canker sores, and I have had them since I was a child. I get very severe cases of it where I get about 10-15 sores in my mouth at a time, and I have had this going on for 3 months now.

When one group of sores heals, another group replaces them. WTF the pain is so so so bad.

I've tried L-lysine which works on the occasional out break of a sore, Bee Pollen, Vitamin B and E, Acidophilus, Yogurt, Acyclovir , mouthwashes, tooth paste with out Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Aphthasol, Peroxide, and Liquorish capsules. If anyone has any experience with severe out breaks and has found something that helps (even just a little bit) please tell me.

Tammy

2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. becvan

becvan Queen of the Blunt! Premium Member

Yes, I've gotten severe canker sores since I was little. Wash you mouth with salt water. Make it strong and it hurts like hell. Wash you mouth a couple times a day. It's the only thing that helps.

bec

4. Seeking_Nirvana

I've tried that in the past and it didn't help heal them. I've also tried baking soda too. I think I have some kind of weird virus, stemming from thrush mouth when I was a child?

Thanks
    Tammy

5. wildfirewildone

wildfirewildone Well-Known Member

:think:I feel your pain!! About a month or so ago I developed an infection in my mouth that my new dentist completely missed....I ended up going to the local ER on a Thurs. night as the pain was sooooo ferocious!! They gave me something that was supposed to anesthetize my mouth....NOT!!!! They did put me on an antibiotic as my face was swollen up on that one side....and they did tell me what was wrong....I was told that the sores were caused by the same virus that causes canker sores....so at least I had a diagnosis...though I did end up spending that night and the next two nights in horrible pain that the Vicodin didn't help....but it got better after that.....what I ended up doing was the high salt water rinse a couple of times a day....and kept taking the Vicodin every so many hours as prescribed.....which is a system referred to as pain management.....keeping a constant level of the med so that there were no pain flare-ups....I have found out if the physical pain starts up and gets fierce again that it takes at least 2 dosage periods for it to be relieved....I hope this helps....knowing that what works for some people doesn't work for others....With this method it will take a couple of days to heal up but what the salt does is take away and gradually dries out the sores and that's the way things work in the mouth...which is a very dark and damp place that is a great place for viruses and bacteria to incubate....I would advise the salt rinse at the times a day and at regular intervals for several days:thumbs-up......PEACE IS A PLUS

6. cactus_jack

cactus_jack Well-Known Member

Yeah, I know how bad it hurts. I remember my worst one made it difficult to breathe as it was in the very back of my throat. I literally thought I was going to die.
    All I know is it's a Herpes Symplex virus or something like that.
    Mine comes and go depending on the circumstances. I used to have a lot when under stress, but now it's not like that any longer. I have far more stress now than I had as a kid, though back then it was kinda worse as I never dealt with it before.

What I did back then, and it helped some, is I'd lay down and talk to myself. Tell myself stuff like "it's not my fault", "they don't understand", and "it won't last forever" and take deep breathes to calm myself down. Sometimes it worked and sometimes it didn't.

Now the sores attack if I have a cut in my mouth.

7. Seeking_Nirvana

Yes, any type of trauma to the mouth will cause a canker sore, I had braces for two years, and that was a really bad two years.

I've tried the salt-water rinse more than on just one occasion, and didn't notice any improvements. I think it would be wise to go back and try these old methods I once tried over the 35 years I've been getting them. Nothing ventured, nothing gained!

From all of the research I've read about canker sores, I don't believe there is one main cause of them. Food allergies is one. If I eat an orange I will have a mouth full of them the next day. Most fruit will cause them for me. Also, during my menses I get one or two. High stress levels will cause them. Vitamin deficiencies, and digestive problems will cause them.

If these things didn't sting so bad I wouldn't worry about it, but I have a huge one on the end of my tongue and I can't talk or eat eh. Two weeks ago I had a huge one in the back of my throat and it kept waking me up. AS if I need something else keeping me up at night.

OK, thanks for all the input. I will start the salt water rinse again today (OUCH) and hope I have more luck this time.

Tammy

8. littledog green

littledog green New Member

Hi,
    My boss gets cankers really badly when she is under high stress. She swears by golden seal. An herb store would have the powder or a heath food store. She makes a paste from goldenseal powder and packs it on. Inside the mouth you maybe could try swishing a tincture? Hope this helps.

9. Seeking_Nirvana

I will try it, I'm at the end of my rope with these sores and anything is worth trying.

Thanks for the info
    Peace
    Tammy

10. ven13

ven13 New Member

I used to get really bad canker sores a few years ago and my doctor gave me a prescription medication. It worked really well for me by I don't recall what the medication was called. Hopefully a doc can give you some good medication to take. Another remedy you could try out is milk of magnesia. Just dip a cotton swab inside the milk and put it on the canker sore. Good luck!

11. Britt.f7

Britt.f7 I'm a VIP Premium Member Donated

My mom had us stick a wad of sour cream on it and hold it there. It stings at first but then soothes. It worked.

12. angel2write

angel2write Mad Scribbler & I.C.P. Premium Member

I actually got them all the time until three years ago.

I found out (sort of by accident) that I'm gluten-intolerant. I went on a gluten-free diet to help with pain from endometriosis (it didn't) but the gluten-free diet did fix the recurring problem of canker sores. It also stopped my nosebleeds, a lot of my skin sensitivities, the terrible fatigue I felt in the afternoons, and my hypoglycemic attacks when I was hungry.

It sounds kind of stupid, but what it amounts to was that I was having an auto-immune reaction to stuff I was eating and it made me feel bad in a lot of ways.

Any chance you've got some kind of diet problem or allergies to something?[DOUBLEPOST=1351648879][/DOUBLEPOST]I've heard of people having them especially if they're sensitive to peanuts, too.

The Albatross likes this.
  13. The Albatross

The Albatross Product of decisions rather than circumstances Premium Member Sponsor $100+

I'm like Angel2Write. I had developed mouth ulcers in my mid to late 40's... and it was an allergy to wheat. I since then have been diagnosed with Celiac's disease. I went gluten free for a year... it improved and though I occasionally allow gluten in my diet, I keep it minimal (hard to be married to a man who loves his pizza).

You might be best served if you rule out causes (either herpes or gluten-intolerance or allergy). I have my own trick for treating the sores because I'm allergic to golden seal. My grandmother used alum. But it is not recommended for putting in your mouth so I can't advise it (although when need be I do it myself and am careful not to swallow it)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

User search cloud:

1. severe canker sore attack

2. canker sore causing headache

3. severe canker sore pain

4. nerve pain in face from canker sore,
  5. canker sores severe pain,
  6. bad canker sore,
  7. canker sore is excruciating,
  8. horrible.canker sore at the back of mouth,
  9. canker sores causing headaches,