• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Poll Does Anyone Have ADHD in Addition to PTSD?

Do you have ADHD in addition to PTSD?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Marlene

MyPTSD Pro
I read that there's a study at New York University about the prevalence of ADHD with PTSD. I actually tried to sign up for this study...but you have to be geographically close in order to participate.

I was just wondering if there's anyone else here who has ADHD?

Lisa

I voted no, but I'm interested that there may be a correlation between the two disorders. Lisa, please share anything you find out about the outcome of the study or other information you find, I would be really interested to hear about it.

I fit the ADHD description in so many ways, yet I've always been good at school and work (except during my few debilitating episodes of PTSD). Stress makes it all worse. Most of the symptoms of ADD I have started after a head injury I had when I was seven. I consider the "H" do be nothing more than being an athlete without a sport.

My bf does....I do not...we both have PTSD but his is a lot more severe due to the abuse he went through as a child and the 2 times he's been incarcerated.

I'm new to this board and want to say thanks for the info in it that I've read so far...SO much makes sense now

B.

No here. I have many of the symptoms with a hyper-active component at times. I inquired about this and was told that I have ptsd but not adhd. Some of the symptoms are similar. I believe this to be true in my case since treating the ptsd (therapy) has also diminished the hyper adhd symptoms.

Thanks to everyone who particpated in this poll. This is the first time I've felt comfortable talking about having ADHD. And with it in conjuction with the PTSD...sometimes things get a little sticky. They tend to exacerbate each other. But it's all on the great big learning curve we all have.

I've read a lot of information online that there's evidence that ADHD (and other neurological conditions that one is born with) can increase the vulnerability for getting PTSD. I finally found one with some numbers. It's from Yale University.

Department of Psychiatry, Yale University, West Haven, CT

Objective: There is limited evidence suggesting a link between posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD) and Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD). This study examined the association between PTSD and ADHD using retrospective and current clinical evaluations.

Results: Thirty-six percent of participants with PTSD met criteria for childhood ADHD. Twenty-eight percent of participants with PTSD met criteria for current ADHD.

Conclusions: There appears to be a significant association of PTSD with ADHD. ADHD or common predisposing factors may increase the vulnerability for developing PTSD.

The results of this informal, unscientific poll are a bit under these numbers. Yale used 47 people with PTSD and gave them different tests. But I'm glad I posted it and got some feedback. Just some more information for me and my understanding.

Lisa

Well previously I voted no on this poll.

However my sibling has just been diagnosed with ADHD along with PTSD (skeptical about PTSD diagnosis)

Sibling encouraged me to get tested. I have not. But I've done two online tests and both came out as 'moderate' ADHD. I don't believe I have any symptoms of ADHD though. But then they are online tests!

i have not been diagnosed.... but years ago putting pieces together have plenty of evidence to perhaps suggest i am... but after much debating with myself & research i have come to the acceptance for whatever reason or how etc, i do show many symptoms....
but have also learnt about
indigo children [adult] & davinci's also...
i more like fit those... indigo in particular fits me like an autobiography.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back