• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Does Beauty Come In A Bottle????

Status
Not open for further replies.

J_trustno1

MyPTSD Pro
I don't know the right place for this question. So here is what I'm going to write.

Yesterday I went to the mall to see if new season clothes have arrived and if I could buy some winter clothes. I also went to checkout if there was any special on lipstick (i usually wear very little of light color, similar to color lip balm leaves). I couldn't find much in the first retail store.

Then I thought I'd check the pharmacy. As I reached the pharmacy I asked one of the ladies about lipstick without knowing she was promoting a certain brand. There are different brands and different ladies are in charge of a brand and i unfortunately landed on her checkpoint. She was a Chinese lady. So when I asked her for a lipstick so showed me this bright red lipstick and then she said she'll put on my lips. Therefore I had to sit there and let her play with my face. While she was putting on lipstick, she was telling me how beautiful my lips and skin was. She then went on to tell me that if I had some makeup on I would look beautiful. So I asked her if I didn't look beautiful without it? She then laughed it off and told me that i look pretty.

She then asked me if I had extra time next time I come she'll do full face makeup on my face. I said, do it now not that I was desperate for makeup because I know that the chemicals in those products are very dangerous for skin and layers of foundation doesn't make you look beautiful. Anyway, I went with it and decided to be her guinea pig for the day. So she put layers and layers of foundation on my face and then covered it with powder. I was asking her how many layers she was putting on and she was telling me that it's only single layer. While she was putting on the makeup she was trying to tell me how many open pores i have and i was gettibg lines and blah blah..... how contrary to what she initiay told me. Anyway once the makeup was done, she told me to look at myself in the mirror and told me how much better I looked.

As soon as I walked in front of the mirror, I felt I had a mask on and that mask was too many layers of makeup. I looked very cheap in that makeup. I decided to wipe it off and it took so many wipes to get rid of it. I told her that I did not like that look. Then she went on to tell me that i need to look after my skin and I'm getting wrinkles etc. She asked my age and I asked her to guess.. she said i looked 24 or 25. I told her I was 27!!

Then she went on to sell me this cream worth $80 instead of foundation. Then she said I needed a cleaner, toner, serum and moisturizer. The cost of everything added up to $496 NZD. She was trying to sell me all this. I didn't want to buy all these chemicals if I was that desperate for a chemistry lab , I would've taken them from my chemistry lab when I was doing my BSc in chemistry or masters in chemical engineering. So made up an excuse telling her that I didn't have much balance in my credit card and that was true as well. She then tried selling me one or two products out of the 5 but I still refused.

Next comes my friend i have known for the last 6 yrs from University. She always told me to wear makeup but I refused because of the products used in them. She thinks that I will only get a boyfriend if I start wearing makeup!!!

I eat healthy, I look after my skin, I exercise and sleep well except when depressed. And most importantly I look 5 years younger than my age.

So my question is,,, do you really need makeup to attract someone? ? I personally believe that I don't have to hide the person I am behind layers of mask called makeup. If I wear these layers then I won't be me and I will be promoting the wrong person. I know that I have body image issues but deep down I also know that it is me who needs to be satisfied with myself and no amount of makeup can do that!!

Your suggestions are very welcomed. Thanks :)

I am 60 years of age, and I only wash my face once per week, which saves me a lot of wrinkles, like I have VERY few of them. I used to wear make-up as a teen, but for most of my life I have not worn any. I was not wearing make-up when I met my husband and we were married 23 years until the day he died. I am not wearing make-up at all these days, and I don't even own any. I would wear it when I was younger when I went to a wedding or someplace where photos would be taken. Other than that, I rarely wore it.

Many folks have told me I am beautiful and have lovely skin. I do not dye my hair ether. It is silver and even my beautician says I should not dye it.

So, no beauty does not come in bottles!

There is a tinted lip balm that is not lipstick. I use it myself except for special occasions: Burt's Bees Lip Shimmer. I have a pinkish and a coral tinted one. Much lighter than lipsticks.

So far as beauty products, I have a few, but seldom wear them. Only for special occasions. For the type of person who decides, "beauty is skin deep"... that is who make up is for. For the type of person who appreciates and loves you as you are... make up is optional.

I'm allergic to most all of it anyways.

There have been studies that show that women who wear makeup are perceived as generally more likable and competent. This makes me angry. On low-self-esteem days I wear some makeup because it does seem to cause people to be nicer to me. Mostly I don't bother.

My husband likes me just fine without makeup. There are lots of people who don't care.

If men are seen as attractive and valued highly and their thoughts and opinions are respected, without ever wearing make-up, then I don't think women need to wear it either. I wear foundation these days, but only a little to even out my skin tone and hide any blemishes. I wear it for me. But I don't wear it in order for people to take me seriously or be more attractive. I feel like a clown if I'm wearing a lot of make-up.

I've been told, usually by well-meaning friends or older women in my family that I'd look better wearing make-up. I try not to be too offended!

I do think that wearing some boosts my confidence a bit. Not because I look better though, not really. It's more because I feel like I can hide behind a painted face that will look properly 'put-together' when really I feel like I'm falling apart. If nobody can see that I'm falling apart, I manage to keep myself together better.

It does not come in a bottle, but we're programmed to believe that it does. We don't have regular TV in our home, we stream everything (netflix, amazon), so we are able to avoid being constantly prodded by the commercials (I hate them). We were at my moms house once when a commercial for proactiv came on, before the commercial was even over my daughter (3 years of age at the time) asked me to buy her some so that she could have beautiful skin. She actually gave that reasoning, so that she could have 'beautiful skin'. As if her skin was not beautful already. We are constantly bombarded with messages telling us we are inadequate as we are and that we need this stuff to remedy our inadequacies, and this type of conditioning begins at birth practically. This is far reaching, and not in a good way really. In my 20's I did not leave the house without my hair and makeup done, and even though I only wore the bare minimum, I noticed how much nicer people were to me when I had makeup on, and how I could be perceived negatively without it... It's still like that today, but I rarely wear it anymore...nowadays if I take a shower then I'm doing good.

You're totally right. Your satisfaction with yourself comes from within, not from a bottle. If you feel secure with yourself because of the illusion you have created with makeup, then you have a false sense of security, a sense of security that is totally contrived, one that will wash down the drain along with the makeup.

It's funny, I always wore makeup in my 20s but when going on my first date with ny husband, I purposely didn't wear any, determined that he would like me for me or he wasn't worth it. To this day, he still tells me I'm beautiful without any makeup on. Wear it or don't, as long as it's about you. I believe true beauty shines from within and if you don't have that, no amount of makeup will help.

Hmmm....so a woman who is paid to tell you that you need to buy the make up she's selling told you that you need to buy the make up she's selling.... come on Jess, you're more than bright enough to spot what motivated that one ;)

Some people like make up, some people don't. Some people are attracted to people who wear make up, some people aren't.

I'm partial to a bit of eyeliner myself, both on me and others, but it'd take a lot more than that to get me interested in you, and the 'lot more' would have nothing to do with cosmetics or anything else you wear on the surface.

Is beauty defined by make up? No. But I think you probably already know that.

Society these days scream these have to own a certain product in order to be beautiful. Beauty does NOT come in a bottle. Sorry you had to experience the pushy Chinese lady trying to oversell you makeup. Retailers just want to push their product and make their sale goal.

It's hard to feel naturally beautiful in a world filled with media telling us we need chemicals on our faces to be beautiful. I have struggled with the same thing although I always had a good value of myself as a child. Being a teenager was confusing - marketing is all geared towards the young, start them early, have a customer for life.

You made a lot of good points - a lot of makeup is just chemicals and so many "beauty products" today are just carcinogens in pretty packaging. Sounds like the perfect declination next time you're with a pushy salesperson. "No thanks, I avoid chemicals and use organic" - anyone I er say that to shuts up instantly; there's nothing else for them to say. They know it. So they prey on someone else, but they leave me alone lol.

There are plenty of natural beauty remedies you can do too (including DIY lip stains, plus you can play with the color! I've been doing natural receipes for most body care (lotion, deodorant, shampoos, soaps) and just decided the makeup industry can kiss my money goodbye. It's horrible for me and I love myself (finally!) too much to keep doing that. It's SOOO much better for my skin (I look more my age now (24) than when I used makeup).

I believe every woman is a unique natural beauty, glowing in her own way. Using natural things has also connect me "mind body soul" sort of thing, because it's amazing how God gave us everything we need to survive - and those things didn't come in bottles!

You're young, don't even worry about the "potential wrinkles" Chinese lady was trying to drill in your head. It really sickens me how pushy she was.

Whenever you don't feel beautiful, just smile a lot, it's our best accessory! Remember real beauty comes from the inside out, not vice versa. Sending hugs if you accept.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back