• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Does Make-up Make You Beautiful?

Status
Not open for further replies.

J_trustno1

MyPTSD Pro
I had a similar post about a month ago but it was slightly different to this one.

So far I am making some progress trying to accept myself but self-love is still not making that much progress as it needs to be. I have learned that I am not a dumb person and I have proofs for this. However, I am still struggling with the concept of beauty.

Recently I have noticed a lot of girls be at work, gym, public or "FACEBOOK" having layers and layers of make-up and they look out of the world beautiful. While on the other hand I don't do anything. I don't even know how to apply this stuff on. At the same time I am struggling with the concept of beauty. I know that no amount of make-up can make you look wonderful if you are feeling shit inside. But again, I don't understand how necessary this stuff is. These beauty products are packed with chemicals that clog your pores, can make you age faster than you would naturally.

I look younger than my age and have been told not once but majority of the time but with the low self-esteem issues I don't feel beautiful because I feel I cannot compete with the girls who do all that and wear dresses showing cleavage, tummy or short-dresses etc. I just can't be someone I'm not but what is beauty then? I feel that there is no acceptance in this world if you don't have layers of foundation on your face and you won't get any guy liking you because you can't beat those artificial beauties.

So what do you feel about this whole concept of looks and makeup?

I think that photoshop has more to do with the "look" of women in the media than make up does. I had at a friend at art school that was paid a huge amount of money to alter the texture of women's skin in photographs for the media. Those artificial beautifies in the media don't exist in real life - they photoshop out a lot of their bodies during post production of the images. So what you are looking at are entirely constructed representations that have little or no basis in reality.

I think developing a relationship with your self and challenging your own distorted cognitions is more important than worrying about make up, but I get that you are really grasping with these issues on a deep level for you, so what I am saying might have no relevance to you.

So for some light humour - if you are a character on a TV soapie - then make up is crucial for catching a partner. But for me I don't wear make up and my partner actually likes me as I am.

@Ms Spock : Thanks for your reply :hug:s. What about those girls from everyday life? I mean not the media women but general public? Do they also do photoshop?

We live in a society that has a highly distorted view of beauty. And it practically changes every week. Also, no one seems to have the same opinion, it is personal taste.

There was social experiment done, if you can find it, that took the same photo of the same woman and sent it around the world with instructions to photo shop her to make her more beautiful. The results are fascinating.

The girls you describe, that isn't beauty, that is sexuality. You don't have to compete. Some guys like that type, but many guys prefer more natural and modest girls. Even more now than they did in the past. I have hear American guys complain that they have to look outside of the U.S. to find a girl who dresses respectably enough to bring home to mom.

For me, I put on makeup every day.

On days that I am not coping with life, I find that if I colour in my eyes a lot more than usual, I feel better. Its more a thing of feeling festive and lighthearted. On days I want to feel extra good and encourage myself I stick a flower in my hair. It is never to get a reaction or attention. It is only to make the outside look more like I want to feel on the inside. I want to feel like Queen Mab the Faerie on the inside so I colour in my eyes a lot. Sometimes even put glitter on.

If you are struggling with it, I think that is your intuition telling you to not do it. If you want to do it later, you will not feel a struggle. Leave it until you don't feel it's a struggle. :) You have enough to deal with. Put on your favourite shoes or knickers or socks. Whatever lifts your spirits.

Google Image 'National Geographic Portraits' ... Lose a few hours.
Google Image 'Cirque du Soleil Makeup' ... Lose some more

You're focusing on makeup... Out of curiosity... Why not clothes? Hair? Visible wealth? Shoes? Noses? Eyes? Eyebrows? Skin? Weight? Bearing? Posture? Or any other physical attribute? Why just the makeup?

Beauty is on the inside Jess, imagine a man waking up in the morning after his date and rolling over to see a completely different women to the one he asked out at the bar, and thinking they didn't look like that last night. Some people try to make them selves Into something they are not. You don't want to be one of those ! I have only worn makeup once on my wedding day and wiped it off asap afterwards.

If your gut is telling you that you don't want to wear makeup don't wear it, otherwise you will stress out about the chemicals.. Some people love wearing makeup some don't. Don't try and change yourself just to try and be like the rest. Be your self and be proud of who you are, be a leader not a follower.

I don't wear make up unless the situation requires it, eg work meeting or wedding, even then it's pretty minimal.

I have dated a bunch of men, as a 40ish women looking back it's interesting to think on this aspect. A few men wanted to change me, and have me do the make up and clothes thing...those relationships never lasted long. Most of the men I have dated for any length of time preferred the no make up thing, I married the best one :)

My best friend in comparison loves clothes, hair and makeup. It's just who she is. I admire her natural skill with it and just the other day I commented that she looked better than me. With kind laughter in her eyes she commented that I look just as good, it's just that I hadn't brushed my hair (I laughed, it was a particularly bad day for me and I had forgot to even do that basic grooming act and hadn't noticed).

My view on beauty is that there is nothing more beautiful than a kind and genuine personality.

Years ago, when heading to a venue for a night out with my husband at the time, someone passed us and I was totally taken by the makeup....it was a wow! moment. I turned to my husband and said how beautiful the makeup was....and It was, in my eyes...absolutely beautiful! It was used very well and emphasized their attractive features.

My husband turned to me and asked if I realised it was a man....yes I did, I could tell only by the walk and the Adams Apple.....but I could still see the beauty of the make up he had applied. My husband thought it was awful..I still think, to this day, that he is the most beautiful made up person I have ever seen.

I can see beauty in people who don't wear makeup, but I can also see the beauty of the makeup, on those who wear it, and use it to their advantage.

My T, who's male, says that women apply makeup for each other. That men don't notice and don't care. I'm not sure he's right, and there are probably exceptions, but I'd bet he's CLOSE to right, at least. (One of those conversations where he's saying, "No, Scout, you've missed the point, this is the way most of the rest of the world understand it." LOL)

@J_trustno1 I think make up, like hairstyle, clothing, types of shoes, jewelry are all a reflection if individual style and taste. Take some time and experiment a bit with and try different things. However, the most important thing is to do what feels good to you and not to do it for someone else. Also, you will find that your taste will change as your life situation changes.

Have fun with the discovery process and make it something to enjoy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back