1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

Does PTSD Qualify for Disability Living Allowance in the UK?

Discussion in 'General' started by Rachealjane, Sep 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rachealjane

Rachealjane New Member

Hi, along side my PTSD, i also suffer from terrible panic/anxiety Attacks, Agraphobia and Social Phobia amongst all the other affects of PTSD.
    can any help me who lives in the UK and knows wether PTSD qualifies for Disability Living allowance.

I would really appreciate any information of this as the forms are very long and intense to write, i dont want to put myself through this if it is a waist of time.

Any information on this would be grately appreciated!!!!!!!!

Racheal x

2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. carpediem2006

carpediem2006 Active Member

Hi there, your GP and the Citizen's Advice Bureau should be able to give you advice on this.

4. purdyamos

purdyamos Active Member

Hello Rachealjane. I have had DLA for several years, and have just reapplied. I can tell you that over those years, the categories of debilitating circumstances have changed for the better on the form regarding mental health problems. At first, it was so geared to people who were blind or in a wheelchair, you had to write essays explaining in depth why you sometimes got stranded somewhere and couldn't move, or why you needed support several times during the night because you were a danger to yourself etc etc. It was as if you weren't really deserving of support, that you weren't really ill, you were trying to blag it.

Now, all types of mental symptoms are fully integrated into the form. The thing is, just saying 'I have PTSD' will not get you the benefit. You have to show how it affects your life. There are particular measures of coping that you have to show are a regular problem, like can you cook a proper meal, can you leave the house alone, etc. There is plenty of scope to give a full picture of all your symptoms. One difficulty is saying how often you need help for each aspect. You can, however explain that it varies and can be unpredictable.

It's still a slog getting through the form, but it's worth it. I get the low rate of mobilty and the middle rate of care. Do go to the CAB, they'll help explain what the criteria are and check your form. If you get refused you can appeal. Someone with full blown PTSD should have no problem qualifying. Good luck. If you want to know anything more specific, just pm me.

anthony likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

User search cloud:

1. is ptsd a disability uk

2. ptsd benefits uk

3. ptsd disability living allowance

4. ptsd and benefits uk,
  5. ptsd and dla,
  6. can you claim pip for ptsd,
  7. can you get pip for ptsd,
  8. can i get pip for ptsd,