1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

Does Your Mood Improve After Napping?

Discussion in 'Polls' started by Kathy, Aug 7, 2007.

Does Your Mood Improve After Napping

1. Yes, dramatically.

27 vote(s)
    54.0%
  2. Yes, somewhat.

17 vote(s)
    34.0%
  3. No, not really.

6 vote(s)
    12.0%
  1. Kathy

Kathy I'm a VIP

Jim and I have noticed a pattern with Evie. She is vastly improved in mood and attitude after she has had a sleep of 1-2 hours. It is to the point where, rather than argue with her when she is being difficult, we now simply suggest she lay down. Likewise she often will say "I am tired" at the beginning of a small argument and go for a nap on her own rather than be argumentative. When she wakes up, she is inevitably much happier, thinking more clearly, will often apologize for anything nasty she has said and so on. However, if we insist she remain awake or she forces herself to stay awake, the situation quickly deteriorates.

Jim and I both feel more rested and refereshed after naps ourselves, but we wouldn't say it improves our mood, thinking, and general outlook on things so dramatically as it does with Evie. This may be a factor of her recent physical illness, not certain. Hence this poll; we interested if this dramatic difference occurs with others.

2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. skyward_falls

skyward_falls Member

I would say napping will somewhat improve my mood. In a situation like you described above (Kathy) I would say for me it would be because an argument or anything that can be stressful or cause anxiety is overwhelming, has my body in overload as well as my mind, its no wonder we're tired and need a rest.

I can also say that if I fight taking a nap (and I often do because I worry I won't sleep at night) then I am more irritable then ever. If I do lay down for a power nap (I try not to exceed an hour but a typical power nap seems to be between 20 to 30 minutes), I will feel much better when I wake up. Although, I can't say whatever it was that was bothering me before won't be waiting for me when I wake up - I'll just be more able to deal with it in a healthier way.

Its funny you post this because just the other day I was searching webMD on foods and things that will give me more energy during the day and power napping was listed and actually discussed how the rest from the power nap can improve one's mood and energy level.

4. Marlene

Marlene I'm a VIP Premium Member

I checked ‘yes, somewhat’ for being refreshed from a nap. I know when I’m tired I’m more likely to fuss because everything just seems to take so much more out of me. And that includes interacting with other humans. I guess our bodies know what we need before our minds catch up.

One thing though…if I’m woken from a nap (or disturbed) before I’m done sleeping-OMG! Look out! I’m meaner than a snake with a knot tied in its tail. Can’t say exactly why, but I’ve always been like that.

Lisa

5. anthony

anthony Renovation Aficionado Founder

I had to say yes, dramatically; because if I am at that stage where I need to take a nap and sleep nowadays, I am mighty pissed about something, thus a sleep will change my perception on life again. Much better when I wake as I have often laid reasoning with myself before sleeping.

6. batgirl

batgirl I'm a VIP

Erm well since this poll is about me obviously I voted for yes, dramatically. It's interesting that you are the same way Anthony. I'm glad my family understands and reminds me to rest or lets me go to sleep when I need to. Things would be a lot harder without their understanding.

7. anthony

anthony Renovation Aficionado Founder

Evie, you and I will be quite similar in our responses due to the face that we both suffer Severe PTSD, though obviously individual traits do come into it.

8. becvan

becvan Queen of the Blunt! Premium Member

*grumbles* If I were capable of sleeping I would have an answer to this..

bec

9. kers

kers I'm a VIP

I voted Yes, dramatically because my symptoms often worsen because of lack of sleep for any reason (be it intrusive thoughts, nightmares, or just being too busy to get a good night's sleep).

Also, even on days where I did get enough sleep the night/week before, if I'm upset, I think a nap can give me the quiet, relaxed time I need toget myself together again. I think of it like a "reset" button for myself!

10. EmeraldRiver

EmeraldRiver Member

I would say dramatically better after I manage to sleep - but since I only get about 2-4 hours a night if I sleep (and that's a good night) I think any extra nap I can get just makes everything better. And when it doesn't make things better it at least never makes the day worse.

11. goingonhope

goingonhope Member Premium Member

After a nap, Yes, my mood improves dramatically, unless the duration of the nap is unreasonably shortened through me waking to the sounds of an unreasonable arguement occurring; In this scenario, I'd wake irritable, frustrated and angry, and it would take me sometime to snap out of my irritability. But, again yes, because given a 1 to 2 hr. nap, and minus others yelling or arguing, my mood would dramatically improve.

12. permban0077

permban0077 Policy Enforcement Banned

I had to vote no. If I am so short on sleep it effects my mood then only getting an hour or two will make me double pissed when I have to get back up. I never wake up nice. I normally need a "full" rest of 4 hours or so. I just cannot do a partial charge though normal people may argue 4 hours is not full.

13. harrywgtn

harrywgtn Member

It has been my safety zone since i was young. If it is all to much or i feel my self loosing it. I will go and wrap myself up in bed , and ill fidget nonstop for a while and hopefully go to sleep. it used to drive my wife crazy but now we both understand why i do it

Show Sidebar