• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Drinking too much

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fayne Jane

Confident
Ever since I had Trauma I started drinking more than usual. Now that I am in EMDR therapy I am drinking way to much. How does one deal with this?

I think that depends if you've become chemically dependent on the alcohol. That's not really something you would be able to determine objectively. When you say "drinking too much" -- what exactly do you mean? That you're unable to go a day without drinking, or that you're drinking, say, three times a week as opposed to your previous habit of rarely drinking?

I was a BIG drinker I always saw it as a self meditation thing for me. I was drunk for a about a year. Alcoholism runs in my family and I started to get scared and so stopped drinking. I just decided i didn't want to be dependent on it anymore. It was hard, I had to basically stop speaking to everyone I used to drink with.

Every day drinking is not doing anything good for you. <~read that again, literally nothing. In fact it's more likely doing harm. Is it a self meditation thing or something else? Have you spoken to your therapist? Maybe you need some better coping skills or a medication change. It's a slippery af slope. Talk to your therapist and or primary doctor. There's AA if you want to go along and see what's what.

I can vouch for @Deadman's words.... I had to go the rehab route and went to AA for years... but have been sober a very long time now, and at least my healing work is real now... not postponed or half assed.... it's real.
Prayers for you to find a way out of that circle of hell, because that is what it is... it doesn't help... never has, never will.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back