1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

Driving - The Results of Speeding

Discussion in 'General' started by Claire, Jan 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Claire

Claire Well-Known Member

Top Gear

In this country there's a programme about cars. It a group of blokes driving around a track, marvelling at engine sizes, alloy wheels and celebrities trying to beat each others track times. Basically boys and boys toys. Last year, one of the presenters was seriously injured during filming in a high speed car going at 280mph. He miraculously survived with no major physical injuries. He did receive brain injury from the force but has recovered from that much quicker than doctors expected, left hospital and has been told to take it easy. I cant quite get to grips about how I feel about this. I didn't want this guy to die but for him to walk away from such a serious, high speed crash with no ill effects is somehow a shame. I cant help but feel that it just goes to further validate what the programme shows, that high speed driving is fine and safe. I wouldn't wish PTSD on my worst enemy BUT if this guy had suffered some sort of fall out after his crash then he would have been in a perfect position to voice it to the public. To maybe try and educate people that there can be a result to their actions on the road.

The footage of the presenters crash is going to be aired tonight.

2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. Scott_Fraser

Scott_Fraser Well-Known Member

Hi Claire, yes I heard about "Hamster". But I think that " Not having a brain" would be an advantage for driving that car, don't you think.
    But as you say speed, cars and young drivers don't mix. For instance: Here in Scotland, the "In" Car at the moment is the Subaru Impreza. But you are getting just kids who have not that long past their driving tests that are buying them, and they don't know how to handle a high performance car like that, and what happens, Yeah, you guessed it. They end up putting the foot down and "BANG" no car left and 2 dead passengers, including the driver. Not forgetting the innocent people in the other car that they hit get killed as well. Madness isn't it? The Police up here are tearing their hair out about it, and telling them not to buy these high performance cars, but they're banging their heads against a wall.
    Cheers
    Scott:hello:

4. permban0077

permban0077 Policy Enforcement Banned

If they are doing it on a track I don't see the issue. Like you said these are guys. Men do that. Out in Texas they had the races for people to bring their cars to closed tracks. They also have demolition derbys. People go out in piece of crap cars and basically wreck on purpose. If it is on a closed course I have no issues. Take that away from men what do you have left? More street racing with little kids in cars that are innocent bystanders. THAT they need to crack down on as there are places for it. Out here I hate seeing men expected to act lady like. I think they do great emasulating men out here as it is... It shows with them needing to let out in other ways. Simply put boys will be boys. I kind of like them that way. I don't think this guy surviving by the grace of God is proving its safety but just the opposite.

5. Claire

Claire Well-Known Member

I know boys will be boys, but no its not just on tracks, they drive them on roads too. If it was just off road then it would make more sense. In the programme the roads are always empty too. I think this kind of programme just glamourises speed and encourages people to try what they see on their own streets, in their own cars.

6. Scott_Fraser

I agree Claire, but Young Girls have this dangerous bug as well. It is shear Stupidity.
    Cheers

7. Claire

Claire Well-Known Member

Yes Scott, they sure do, its girls too. There's a brilliant ad campaign on around here at the moment. It says something like, " you see more flowers in the countryside" Its refers to the number of fatal crashes on rural roads being much higher than main roads and the flowers people lay in memory. Its so stupid, its such a waste of life. Like you say its often young people who think they are invincible. Its one thing killing yourself by driving like that but what about the passengers, the pedestrians and other innocent bystanders. I just hate the way this programme encourages that and passes it off as good fun and a bit of a laugh.

8. Scott_Fraser

I'm afraid its no laugh Claire, its in the news here nearly every week, about kids out in there new cars racing around and not being in control when they get to a bend in the road. And then BANG, some innocent driver, usually a young family out for a quiet drive in the country gets wiped out. And the driver of the speeding car, if he survives, gets a few months in prison and loss of license. Its the same with drink drivers, The Aussies have got it right, they have a Zero Tollerance for drunk drivers, you don't even drink if you intend to drive.
    Cheers Claire

9. permban0077

permban0077 Policy Enforcement Banned

Claire, I am in totally agreement about on the street. Houston had a crack down and rounded up a shit load of kids involved one night. First off they were street racing and second they were out past cerfew. Now you KNOW kids cannot pay for those cars they were driving. THEN the parents had a "public out cry" that it was not "fair" the kids got picked up. Excuse me???? They let them all go and no charges filed. Simply lack of parents parenting and again the system failing. I am sure the officers who had set up to crack down of this were majorly pissed. I know I was.

But you cannot blame TV. TV does not do mind control. Parents being parents makes a difference. Police allowed to do their job makes a difference. Instead of buying extra supped up parts for your kids install a black box, take away keys, make them buy their own cars and pay rent. No young adult of 18 and up is paying rent and bills and still having the cash to buy this. Parents are funding. Hell, when teens have to buy their own cars they are lucky to get them running to get them to school and back or work and back. If you choose to buy or pass a car down don't do a street rod. Common sense. Hell, kids think they are immortal and that is just a fact. As will kids are going to think all around are the same.

I was been hospitalized at 16 (eekk 16 years ago) due to street racing. 2 kids ran a red light street racing while they were out for lunch from school. I was not in school at the time, I was working and just got off from a morning shift. The car I was in was T Boned and Jaws of life had to be used to get us out. Guy in the ambulance tending me later became a good friend LOL...

I don't blame TV... I really think if young adults and kid have to pay for their own toys those toys pack a lot less punch. But kids street racing is not new. Pleanty of it around years and years. Just more kids now and more parents helping kids have "status".

But I would never wish anything ill will that does this on a closed course. BTW I love the "Jackass" movies. For some reason I can watch it and know that is stupid hence the title suggests. As many time as I saw them shoot a bottle rocket out of their ass and everyone laughs I don't see any one who is not high or reall stupid doing it...

TV is not bad, it has some really cool things to see and watching pros push the limits. The point is living vicariously through them. But hell they put warnings on every damn show do not try this. Signs on everthing. Like the moron who sued Mc Donalds when they spilled their hot coffee in their lap. So now all the cups carry the warning coffee may be hot! I would be pissed if it wasn't hot personally.

But alas we cannot lock them up until they are 25 - 30 until maturity kicks in. If that were the case my husband would still be on lock down!

10. Scott_Fraser

Hi Claire. Just read in the papers this morning that 14 people were killed on the roads in Scotland this weekend, 6 of them were young kids with new cars and driving to fast. You and I rest our points don't we.
    Scott:wall:

11. Claire

Claire Well-Known Member

Thats dreadful Scott. Yes, we do. If only the numbers were published more, like they would be if it was a train crash. Its just accepted and that sucks.

Thats why I'm so frustrated by this. It is exactly this....:wall:

12. Scott_Fraser

I know what you mean Claire. But wouldn't it be wiser to change the law that the youngest that you can learn to drive to 21, then after a year of passing their test they are made to sit an advanced driving test, so that they can learn how to get out of skids and such, I think it would save a lot of lives.

13. Claire

Claire Well-Known Member

I dont know about a change in the law. I just wish people knew the impact or potential impact of their actions. Its not just the really young drivers. Its the whole culture. I agree car handling lessons would be a good idea. They are talking about motorway and night time lessons after you pass. I think it would be a good idea to only allow new drivers cars of a lower power too but you can do damage with them too if you drive like an idiot. Its the same about using phones behind the wheel. The government getting all serious about using a hand set but its been proved its not handling the handset thats the problem its talking on the phone thats the distraction. I dont know what the answer is, it frustrates the hell out of me and I still think programmes like Top Gear dont help the matter. Drink driving has and is slowly becomming less socially acceptable so maybe one day speeding will be the same. I think in the future there'll be so much technology in cars that speeds will be cut automatically as you enter certain zones...that is if we aren't riding around in boats by then!