1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

ED Eating disorders - ptsd?

Discussion in 'Other Disorders' started by moki, Apr 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. moki

moki Guest

Hi,
    Does anyone else out there have trouble eating? I've lost 30 lbs since last september and haven't exercised at all. Everything just sounds bad to eat and makes me nauseous to think about. I eat a little bit everyday, but have to think of it as medicine to choke it down.

I'm about 50 lbs over weight, so no health care professionals seem to think it's a problem, but it is extremely unusual for me to not even want to eat sweets, let alone healthy food.

Even when I'm hungry, I just wait until the pangs go away because the thought of eating is so, well, unappetizing.

Is this an eating disorder and does it fit into the PTSD thing?

2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. becvan

becvan Queen of the Blunt! Premium Member

Nope, not an eating disorder, just anxiety.

In fact was just talking with my doctor this morning about it. Even he says it's part of PTSD and he admits he doesn't know much! Now, if you refuse to eat because you think you are overweight, or binge eat and then take laxatives or make yourself sick, then that is an eating disorder.

bec

4. moki

moki Guest

huh. Well that's good to know. I didn't really want another 'thing' added to my list. I have noticed that the few good days (or parts of days) that I'm feeling less anxious, I do tend to actually want to eat some.

Thanks for responding.

5. becvan

becvan Queen of the Blunt! Premium Member

Anytime.

See for me, since I've had this from a young age (and I'm 33 now!) it's just normal, I can eat when I'm okay and can't when I'm not. I don't even really think about it much, except when I'm complaining because I'm too far underweight! I feel like a twig right now! :rolleyes:

So yes, all normal part of PTSD.

bec

6. Linda

Linda Well-Known Member

For me, things are just opposite. I normally eat a lot, but when anxious... Hell, eat everything I can reach.

7. moki

moki Guest

That sounds more like me in less turbulent times. That's why I was wondering what this 'no eating' thing was all about. I gained about half of my weight (over) before I started on anti-depressants and the other half during all of the different anti-depressants I was on.

I really don't know if the anti-depressants were the cause or if, because they weren't working all the way and I was still somewhat depressed, but not depressed enough to not eat - that that was the cause.

man, that was a terribly confusing run-on sentence. sorry!

8. slhlilbit

slhlilbit Active Member

Yes its part of the ptsd. after i got out of the military they first diagnosed me with anaroxiea i got down to 93 lbs my family dr that treated me as i grewup told me that if i didnt start eating he was going to put me in the hospital. so I ate, a little bet at a time. I still do not have an apetite. just make my self eat at least once a day.

9. moki

moki Guest

slhlilbit, wow 93 lbs isn't very much...glad you stopped the weight loss...

10. YoungAndAngry

YoungAndAngry Well-Known Member

this is what I have heard, I don't remember who told me, or where I may of read it

When your mind is constantly looking out for danger, you notice things you may not have before.
    even at the smallest disturbance, your mind is instinctively put into natures "fight or flight"

Whichever option you choose, is still going to put your body into protect mode,
    meaning... blood is redirected to our more vital organs (heart, etc) from things less important for defense, like the stomach.

Personally I HATE cooking, I don't feel the need to do it.
    I cannot smell nor taste... all I go by is the texture and temp of my meals.
    It is literally a chore to eat every day, let alone 3 times a day.

If someone were to magically appear on my doorstop with a nice big sandwich, I'd definatly eat it, no need to ask me twice.
    But if I'm left to my own, I will go days without eating a bite of food.

11. moki

moki Guest

Yeah, youngandangry,
    I have a lot of trouble grocery shopping, since everything makes me nauseous. This is a problem since I have two voracious teenagers. Lately, even brushing my teeth makes me gag, and not even when I brush way in the back, toward the front too.

When someone else fixes good food for me, I have no problem at least eating part of it. We used to go out to eat a lot, but since I can't stand being around my husband, that has stopped. We used to have so much fun, all four of us going out to a restaurant on the weekends. This is something I know we all miss. Going out to eat with just me and the kids seems too much like being divorced, although my husband has no trouble just taking the kids out by himself; something I really resent.

I have a whey protein drink that I mix with milk that gets me through part of the day. It tastes like malted chocolate milk. I try to eat some sort of bready thing and then try to eat a piece of fruit. celery sticks also seem okay, as well as some juices.

I eat much better when my husband isn't around, which is why weekends are the total sh*ts for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Show Sidebar