• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Effects Of Trauma

Status
Not open for further replies.

saraemerald

MyPTSD Pro
I don't want to sound negative but I was just thinking about this.
Why does trauma and it's aftereffects have to take up so much of our time and our life? Sometimes it just seems stupid.
Like you would like to go back in time and go up to your perpetrators and tell them to knock it off and grow the f#$k up.
How sensitive we are is amazing, how our sense of connection especially when we are young, is very delicate.
I also find it interesting how when trauma involves abuse of some sort, it leaves us, the victim, feeling so much shame and insecurity. And when we carry that sense of shame around because of abuse we have endured, when we interact with peers, especially in school, we get bullied.
Abuse also leaves us with feelings about ourselves like we are ugly, dirty, bad or something is wrong with us. Talk about a fun life! =/ Then when we try to recover, since people who've knows us for awhile and see us a certain way, are not supportive of our recovery. In addition, out culture makes us feel wrong if we opt to not take some sort of prescription for our recovery. And if you go the holistic route which most people are ignorant about, people assume you are annoyingly not being practive about recovery. Talk about being misunderstood! Ugghhh.
When you go through PTSD, you truly get to see people's true colors. No doubt about that!
When are experiencing fullblown symptoms, sometimes people assume things about you without getting to know you and when you are able to hide your painful symptoms and still fullfill all of life's responsibilties and still smile, people assume you are naive or that your life is perfect.
Gotta love it.

I don't want to sound negative but I was just thinking about this.
Why does trauma and it's aftere...

It doesn't have to be that bad. Our brains are wired to protect us, and they think that they are when they constantly remind us of trauma & its after-effects, but with EMDR they can be trained to re-process the trauma and file it away - completely - so that we, and our lives, can heal - completely. Google EMDR and find a provider through the EMDR institute or otherwise. Be blessed!

It doesn't have to be that bad. Our brains are wired to protect us, and they think that they are when they con...

You make it sound so easy.

Adult trauma I'm guessing?

Many of us have chronic PTSD. We've gone through processing but still aren't cured.

I'm guessing you have adult trauma as it's impossible for some twitch adult trauma to complete effects of childhood trauma.

as it's impossible for some twitch adult trauma to complete effects of childhood trauma

Just as it's impossible unlikely for any trauma to have the complete effects of any other trauma.

A child being raped by their parents is going to have different accompanying problems than someone whose child burned to death in front of them (but that's just some twitch one off, right?); who is going to have different accompanying problems than the firefighter who carried the melting body of that child out of the fire to their screaming parents; who is going to have different accompanying problems than the soldier who started the fire.

This is PTSD. It ain't the f*cking Oppression Olympics, and ain't stubbed toes, neither.

This wasn't posted in the childhood trauma section. It wasn't posted in the complex trauma section. Just posted in straight up discussion. Which means all hands on deck, all kinds of trauma, all kinds of perspectives.

It doesn't have to be that bad. Our brains are wired to protect us, and they think that they are when they con...
I believe the symptoms of PTSD can be healed with time, effort, dedication and the right tools. I believed this when I was a teen who had just moved out of my house and I was determined to heal my symptoms and I did but I did not have anyone's support or help with this because my friends around me pushed meds, and probably thought I was too idealistic and didn't know what I was talking about and one of them lied to other people about me, making me out to be worse off than I was and when I did get better, she started saying some negative things about me and at one point in my life, this friend had played my hero in the congregation I grew up in. So at the point I healed my symptoms, I started to lose my faith and started sabotaging my life believing that I didn't deserve to be as happy as I was if I apparently had a lack of faith (or so I thought) and I began destroying everything I did to recover.

I'm glad for fight or flight (or freeze or dawn) responses. I'd be dead without them.

It would be g...
Very true. I used to have this on a regular basis and of course out in public and in situations I didn't need to have it. I taught myself to stay where I was and ride it out and would reassure myself that I was OK and eventually, when in situations that would trigger it, I got better at staying present.

You make it sound so easy.

Adult trauma I'm guessing?

Many of us have chronic PTSD. We've gone thr...
Everyone's trauma is different and evryine's response to it is different too.
I would have to say that prolonged abuse in childhood and it's effects on our minds and bodies is definitely going to be different from a trauma that focused in adulthood or involved trauma that did not include prolonged emotional abuse. It's all different.
Recovery from childhood trauma resulting from abuse sucks, because we were either brought up that way and this usually involves degradation of character to some extent in addition to physical or sexual assault and this is all very painful. The emotional toll it takes on our brain is tremendous and hard to explain to someone who has not experienced it. It's a trauma that is insidious.

Enter me in the Multiple Trauma Event, please.

Trauma is a broad net and in many cases an over used term, as is "triggers".
CPTSD v PTSD. I can tell you I almost never think about the head on collision I was in. The years of child abuse ride me like an invisible albatross. Will it ever fly off? I read a book by Pete Walker who claims CPTSD can never be cured. My T disagrees and says all trauma is complex and it can be cured. I like her way of thinking.

Yes, developmental trauma is tons different and all trauama remains highly individual and unique as fingerprints. Scientific studies detail traits and symptoms for different traumas. So it is.

I liken it to weight loss ... it didn't come on overnight and it's not going to go away overnight. Keep on keeping on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back