• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Emdr Therapy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Natalie768

New Here
I recently over the last few months starting going to counseling for relationship issues. I had trauma in my past, my father pasted away when I was seven and my counselor suggested emdr to release feelings surrounding his death.

I did go to therapy as a teenager and dealt with some of my feelings surrounding my feelings over my father's death, but never did endure and never heard of it till now.

Well I have done one session and before this I rarely had trouble sleeping and NEVER had a n anxiety attack.I do not feel like myself after this and I wish I never did emdr. The fist day she did emdr session I felt relaxed but two days later is when the numbness, panic attacks, loss of appetite, nausea, sleeplessness, and sadness.

Its started out very strong where I couldn't calm down and even met with my therapists, she didn't know what to tell me as she never seen anyone process it like me before. I went to emdr website and called to see what qualifications she had apparently passed part one but not two. I have done my research before hand and thought it sounded perfectly safe, but now I am not sure.

It's been three weeks since my one indoor session and at times I still feel these surges of sadness and still am not sleeping well at night. I am also still getting a feeling like I am not here like I am walking around in a dream, having trouble concentrating, suffocating feeling like pain that won't come out. I am trying hard to get past all this and moments I start to feel a little better but then its like I am hit with a wave of emotions and it starts again....

Attachments

• upload_2014-4-30_3-19-55.png
    upload_2014-4-30_3-19-55.png
    191.3 KB · Views: 189
  • upload_2014-4-30_3-20-35.png
    upload_2014-4-30_3-20-35.png
    191.3 KB · Views: 165
Last edited by a moderator:
@Natalie768 it sounds like the EMDR stirred some pieces up. I know they say no pain no gain, but I don't believe this when it comes to PTSD - especially if there are quite a few pieces of trauma involved. Do you have the option of telling your EMDR practitioner that this is happening to you?

If she didn't mention to you that this may occur I am surprised. There should always, in my opinion, be a 'go to strategy' that these professionals give you in case you react to the session. That way you know what to expect and the resources that they have available in case a patient has a reaction to the session.

I just did my first EMDR session last week and I felt awful after too. I was told that's normal to have some side effects afterwards and that everyone processes it differently.

I was in such a stupor after, I felt like someone took my head and shook it like a snow globe. I couldn't think straight. I even had a hard time talking. The second day I had a surge of rage and was completely exhausted. The third day I had 3 panic attacks. Day 4 I had constant sadness. My point is it takes some time to process it all.

Maybe the grief went deeper than you realized?

I really hope things get better for you, you are very brave to be facing your trauma.

I went to a dark place from my therapy which wasn't EMDR, but just talking about my abuse. It took me a while to claw back out (still clawing). My point is, your reaction might not be specifically to 'EMDR' itself, but more generally to the work you are doing, or the uncovering of your trauma.

Please be kind to yourself. If you feel safe to talk to your therapist then you should....if you don't feel safe to do this then consider pausing your treatment for the time being. Please don't steam-roll ahead and push yourself...this is a time to treat yourself gently.

In addition to my therapy practice, I roam the web looking for EMDR therapy discussions, try to answer questions about it posted by clients/patients, and respond to the critics out there.
Wow! This is really helpful! thank you @drpjl. It sounds like it is a great guide for those who are in or are searching for EMDR therapy.

If I may ask a question. You mention small t trauma. I have heard that EMDR can have a negative effect on people with multiple traumas that are either developmental or series after series of repeated abuse. Have you any comments or helpful hints on how to distinguish an EMDR therapist who is qualified to help people with these types of issues or is EMDR meant for small t traumas?

Also, do you know anything of EFT or Matrix Re-imprinting vs EMDR? I had another user ask me about those in one of my recent posts. I have used them both as a form of therapy but have not had the please of finding a good EMDR therapist in my area. I have had very good outcomes with both EFT and Matrix Re-imprinting.

I totally agree with BIW, EMDR was a life savor me with multiple traumas. I did experience bad lows and all those symptoms after a good EMDR session where a lot of things surfaced. It typically lasted 3-5 days but some as long as 2-3 weeks.

Be patient and gentle with yourself. EMDR is not an easy road but definitely worth it long term. After several months I began to be disappointed if I didn't have a low because I felt like I hadn't accomplished anything. It gets better Natalie, just keep pressing forward at a pace you are comfortable with.

Hope you get some relief soon.

I also have had multiple traumas and I agree with Bloom. It was hard going through it but it changed my life for the better ever since.

All of the memories I worked on do not haunt me anymore. I was able to put the shame, guilt, blame etc. on all of my abusers.

Now I feel so much better. The memories occasionally surface, but the way I view them now is very healing to me.

After a session I would not feel so good but it passed. I was so afraid to do it, but got lots of good information here and good support and I really appreciate that so much.

I encourage you to try to stick with it and I wish you well on your healing and recovery.

I think that I may have been able to handle this better, if I didnt have to work. I work directly with the public. I am a hairstylist. Also I have two children and its been very hard to be going through so much and normal mom is not present. I am feeling alot better today. I have only had two surges of emotions over the last two days. I just don't think I would be able to do it again. I don't remember ever feeling that bad in my whole life. I think I will stick with cognitive therapy for now on.

Thank you for all of your responses.Its nice to know I am not alone or weird. Oh and my therapist did not warn me about after effects of emdr. Once I experienced them and calmed down enough to research online I got a hold of a therapist out in CA who informed me everything I was experiencing was infact normal for what I went through as a child. He said it was childhood repessed stuff and thats why the emotions and anxiety didn't come up till after the session. He called it an atypical reaction.

I had my latest ( an perhaps last) EMDR session on Tuesday. It was very hard - very emotional and tearful. I struggled with it and my T kept checking in with me that I was 'still here'. But I was determined to go through with it as I know how much it has helped in the past.

Afterwards I felt OK, but I continued processing into my dreams that night. The next morning I woke up feeling great. It was like a weight had been lifted. In the past I have always been really tired but this was different.

EMDR is far from an easy option, but it really is worth it.T describes it as being as painful as surgery - but you know when you need it, it is the best thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back