• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Emdr?

Status
Not open for further replies.
(Sorry if this isn't under the correct forum section.)

My therapist has brought up EMDR (Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing) as a way to maybe help with my PTSD.

However, from what I understand it only seems to work for people who have attacks that remember these things that traumatized them(or rather they advertised it as something for people who relive their traumas). I don't really ever think about my trauma. I barely do. I don't relive it. And the memories don't bother me too much at all when I think about it. I just feel nothing about it, kinda. Desensitized. But I do get panic or anxiety attacks from time to time from certain triggers, but I never directly think about my experience and panic about that.

I'm mainly just dissociated from my experience, I suppose. I don't really feel anything for it, I guess.

Does EMDR work for people.. I guess, who dissociate?

And if you've done EMDR, has it helped you?

I've done EMDR, and I do think it helped me for sure. I also hardly ever "relive" my traumas, with the exception of the first year I was diagnosed. I used to shut down when I was remembering my traumas. I hesitate to call it dissociation, because I never really lost touch with myself / my environment / people around me, I just stopped responding. Since doing EMDR, I don't do that 9/10 times these days. When I need to talk to others about my memories, not only am I actually able to do so, I also don't panic. Something has changed about how I feel about those memories on a subconscious level, I think.

I do, however, still have panic attacks now and then, and I do still have triggers.

I'm glad it helped you, Orglethorp.

I'm definitely dissociated very often. I always feel lost in touch with myself and the area around me, and people I'm with. (Happens more so in public places). I'm easily able to talk about my experience with people.. people used to think I was weird cuz I would kinda just smile about it like it was nothing.

I'm happy to hear about your experience though. Hopefully, EMDR does something for me.

I'm a therapist who uses EMDR as my primary treatment psychotherapy and I've also personally had EMDR therapy for anxiety, panic, grief, and “small t” trauma. As a client, EMDR worked extremely well and also really fast. As an EMDR therapist, and in my role as a facilitator who trains other therapists in EMDR (certified by the EMDR International Assoc. and trained by the EMDR Inst, both of which I strongly recommend in an EMDR therapist) I have used EMDR successfully with panic disorders, single incident trauma and complex/chronic PTSD, anxiety, depression, grief, body image, phobias, distressing memories, bad dreams and more...

It's really crucial that the therapist spends enough time in one of the initial phases (Phase 2) in EMDR that involves preparing for memory processing or desensitization (memory processing or desensitization - phases 3-6 - is often referred to as "EMDR" which is actually an 8-phase psychotherapy). In this phase resources are "front-loaded" so that you have a "floor" or "container" to help with processing the really hard stuff. In Phase 2 you learn a lot of great coping strategies and self-soothing techniques which you can use during EMDR processing or anytime you feel the need. So if you start feeling overwhelmed or that it's too intense, you can ground yourself (with your therapist's help in session, and on your own between sessions) and feel safe enough to continue the work. While EMDR therapy (and no efficacious treatment for trauma) should go "digging" for buried memories, sometimes memory does become more clear, and related memories emerge which can then become targets of their own for EMDR processing. In my practice, after the Phase 2 work lets us know that my patient is safe enough and able to cope with any emotion and/or physical sensation both during and between EMDR processing sessions, I often suggest we try a much less intense memory first if there is one that happened BEFORE the trauma(s). If there isn't one, then I suggest we start developmentally with the least disturbing memory and work our way "up" to the most disturbing event(s). Thorough knowledge of the biopsychosocial impact of trauma and PTSD is crucial for a therapist who uses EMDR or any psychotherapy when working with trauma survivors.

Grounding exercises are indispensable in everyday life, and really essential in stressful times. Anyone can use some of the techniques in Dr. Shapiro's new book "Getting Past Your Past: Take Control of Your Life with Self-Help Techniques from EMDR." Dr. Shapiro is the founder/creator of EMDR but all the proceeds from the book go to two charities: the EMDR Humanitarian Assistance Program and the EMDR Research Foundation). Anyway, the book is terrific. It's an easy read, helps you understand what's "pushing" your feelings and behavior, helps you connect the dots from past experiences to current life. Also teaches readers lots of helpful techniques that can be used immediately and that are also used during EMDR therapy to calm disturbing thoughts and feelings.

As I’ve mentioned about Phase 2, during EMDR therapy you learn coping strategies and self-soothing techniques that you can use during EMDR processing or anytime you feel the need. You learn how to access a “Safe or Calm Place” which you can use at ANY TIME during EMDR processing (or on your own) if it feels scary, or too emotional, too intense. One of the key assets of EMDR is that YOU, the client, are in control NOW, even though you likely were not during past events. You NEVER need re-live an experience or go into great detail, ever! You NEVER need to go through the entire memory. YOU can decide to keep the lights (or the alternating sounds and/or tactile pulsars, or the waving hand) going, or stop them, whichever helps titrate – measure and adjust the balance or “dose“ of the processing. During EMDR processing there are regular “breaks” and you can control when and how many but the therapist should be stopping the bilateral stimulation every 25-50 passes of the lights to ask you to take a deep breath and ask you to say just a bit of what you’re noticing. (The stimulation should not be kept on continuously, because there are specific procedures that need to be followed to process the memory). The breaks help keep a “foot in the present” while you’re processing the past. Again, and I can’t say this enough, YOU ARE IN CHARGE so YOU can make the process tolerable. And your therapist should be experienced in the EMDR techniques that help make it the gentlest and safest way to neutralize bad life experiences and build resources.

Pacing and dosing are critically important. So if you ever feel that EMDR processing is too intense then it might be time to go back over all the resources that should be used both IN session and BETWEEN sessions. Your therapist should be using a variety of techniques to make painful processing less painful, like suggesting you turn the scene in your mind to black and white, lower the volume, or, erect a bullet-proof glass wall between you and the painful scene, or, imagine the abuser speaking in a Donald Duck voice... and so forth. There are a lot of these kinds of "interventions" that ease the processing. They are called "cognitive interweaves" that your therapist can use, and that also can help bring your adult self's perspective into the work (or even an imaginary Adult Perspective). Such interweaves are based around issues of Safety, Responsibility, and Choice. So therapist questions like "are you safe now?" or "who was responsible? and "do you have more choices now?" are all very helpful in moving the processing along.

In addition to my therapy practice, I roam the web looking for EMDR discussions, try to answer questions about it posted by clients/patients, and respond to the critics out there. It's not a cure-all therapy. However, it really is an extraordinary psychotherapy and its results last. In the hands of a really experienced EMDR therapist, it's the most gentle way of working through disturbing experiences.

I am in the process of getting EMDR. Very Helpful. I suggest you get the book Getting Past your Past by Francine Shapiro. The book will tell you much of what you need to know and how the treatment is to be given. This way you are armed with knowledge and prepared for what to expect out of EMDR. Make sure you go to EMDIRA site and check for a therapist or inquire on the one you hire. If you have many traumas and dissociate you need much preparation to proceed. The therapist needs additional course education to front load you.

TB

EMDR first helped me deal with my inability to find peace regarding my daughter's death. One never 'gets over' it, but it can be put in a place of acceptance.

Since then my T and I have used EMDR for lingering issues from my childhood, and probably will use it in the upcoming months as I deal with my father's death in December.

I chose a T that was trained in EMDR because I had 'talk' therapy for many years with no resolving of issues and wanted something like hypnosis or at least close to it.

It changed my life, and I recommend it highly, as long as the practitioner is well-trained and experienced. It is also important to trust the one doing the EMDR. I was unable to use the 'eye movement' technique as I am overly stimulated by visual movement. Instead we used small handheld 'pads' that vibrated alternately while the treatment was being performed.

Hope this helps.

I'm a therapist who uses EMDR as my primary treatment psychotherapy and I've also personally had EMDR therapy for anxiety, panic, grief, and “small t” trauma.
Pattijane your input is invaluable so thank you.

As your post above it very similar to others you have posted you can insert links to the content rather than having to repeat the same content in similar threads. Also, you might consider the length of your posts as, you would know, the traumatised brain is less likely to process large chunks of information at one time so some members may skip over your post, missing out on valuable information as it looks too overwhelming to read. I even glazed over.... just some food for thought. :)

I was able to rattle off a list of childhood traumas without ever feeling any of it. I used to disassociate regularly as a young adult. As an adult it would happen less often. I had a new trauma last year that sent my world spinning and crashing down around me.

I have been doing EMDR for about a year. It has changed my life. Things that I thought I just had to live with have been resolved. Having had several childhood traumas and being raised by an abusive parent it is complicated for me. There is a lot stuff there. With EMDR I have been able to go through event by event and changes the beliefs attached to the events. I was talking to my niece the other day about the world I crew up in. I felt sad about it. It was the first time in over 40 years that there was emotion attached to it. Events are supposed to be attach to emotions it is when the emotions are overwhelming that I shut off. I am hoping one day to have a fully functional emotional response system.

Good luck on your journey.
Peace

the traumatised brain is less likely to process large chunks of information at one time so some members may skip over your post, missing out on valuable information as it looks too overwhelming to read

I admit I glazed over that entire post too, because I just can't concentrate lately and it did look too overwhelming. It's frustrating because I am actually very interested in this topic! (edit: just adding my frustration is aimed at my own brain, not anyone writing and giving info...I appreciate anytime someone shares valuable experiences)

I find bullet points and lots of "white space" (ie. not blocks of text) really helpful

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back