• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Emotional Abuse

Status
Not open for further replies.

Casey_03

MyPTSD Pro
I am linking to an article that I think made a lot of good points about how emotional abuse is often ignored or seen as being less harmful than physical abuse: Dead Link Removed

I don't really have anything to say specifically, I'm just glad that someone wrote this. And I think it may be helpful to others on the forum.

Thanks for this article. By the time I had the courage to leave my husband, I had no idea who I was coming out the other side of 10 yrs of beating me down, not physically, but beating just the same. I can recognize an emotional abuser from ten miles away now. It is slow, insidious, and deadly. I do have to wonder how much drugs and alcohol play a part in the patterns... I ended up in drug rehab while married to him... it was after that I started realizing what a mess I was in... I did get out... took a long time to see worth in my self again.
Hope others reading this see themselves if it is happening to them and find a way to get out.

My father was an emotional abuser, both to us kids and especially to Mom. I hated anger so much that I moved out of their house the last day of my high school classes. I did not even wait around until graduation. I never got my high school diploma even! I escaped instead.

When I went husband shopping, I found a kind hearted quiet man. He was not an emotional abuser, but along about the time when marriages fall apart, he started to watch TV all the time and mostly ignored me. I stayed and put up with it anyway, knowing that the odds of getting some kind of abuser were pretty big. When I finally did get with a man (once my husband was suffering from dementia and was in a nursing home) it turned out that that man was an abuser. A physical and emotional one. I eventually got away, but I have scars that probably will never totally heal.

I have decided not to get involved with any more men. It is just too risky! One way or another, they don't do right by you. I like living alone. I make my own schedule. I plan my own meals keeping my likes and dislikes in mind, and basically, I live just the way I like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back