• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Emotional numbness in my relationship

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I got diagnosed with PTSD this year and i also am in a new relationship. I love the partner i'm with but i feel not emotionally connected theirs a few times I will feel connected with him but then theirs times i feel unconnected and numb is this a normal occurrence for people suffering from PTSD caused by previous romantic relationships

Emily

Emily,

In my personal experience, there have been definite times where I was disconnected from my partner and numb.
When I've been with a partner and was triggered, I have shut down and stayed away. This is especially true if something they do sets me off. After the fear and paranoia and panic attacks settles, I usually feel dead and disconnected, even from my own children, but especially my partner.
When I have not been in a relationship but just dating, I don't feel any emotional connections to new partners.

My current husband (second marriage) and I started dating a few years back. When I realized I was falling for him, I was terrified. Love meant (and in a lot of ways still means) pain. I still struggle with this.

I feel like my response is discombobulated, but I hope it helps. I think as you grow to trust your new partner you will find that you may feel more connected over time. Not a promise, but a possibility.

Yeah I mean I can shut down my feelings for an extended amount of time but that time is always limited sadly. I try to keep in mind how I feel when I let my guard down and how I feel when I can about her. It helps a lot. But I haven't gotten over the fear she's going to leave eventually and I remind myself of that often and keep myself very (prepared? i guess.) for the inevitable let down what ever that might be. I think the term in ptsd is called hyper vigilance. Now that I compare our situations this might not be a relative comment. Sorry. Just know we all have pretty serious relationship problems. I don't know if that helps you feel better but it's kinda nice to know you aren't alone.

Reading this and thinking " it's not just me " My therapist says since I'm a widower I have " Acute fear of loss " so I love that I have a new relationship but live with the fear of losing her. Heck I make up ways in my head I will lose her and drive myself right into a Anxiety attack. Sad but nice to know I'm not alone

I think our worse enemy is fear. A fear from the past that is always present. I learned about mindfullness many years ago and I suggest to give it a look. It is a life long work, but it enhance the ability to stay focused in the now.
Best wishes you all. It is painfull i know, but it feels better when we allow someone in.
Chrisina

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back