1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

Employment and PTSD

Discussion in 'Employment, Education & Disability' started by piglet, Jul 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. piglet

piglet Well-Known Member

This issue is bugging me greatly at the moment - can't imagine why?!

Any of you who are employed and have ptsd, does your employer give you any help of any kind to make it easier for you in the workplace?

Over here, it is called "reasonable adjustments". If you have a health condition that affects you at work, your employer is obliged to make adjustments to your working conditions - this could be letting you have more flexible hours than normal, or longer rest breaks. Getting them to actually do that is an entirely different ball game though!

Any comments?

2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. anthony

anthony Renovation Aficionado Founder

I used to have issues myself when employed in this regard, and pretty much every you have said about your experiences Piglet, where pretty close to mine, though I did have one good boss who took some of the heat for me and gave me room to move. Though at the end of the day, I still had to leave the military as I was only getting worse as time progressed.

4. Socks

Socks New Member

Hi Guys,
    I continue to work full time and have since I left the Army and have suffered undiagnosed PTSD during this time.

My bosses over the years have never cut me any slack and always expected me to do my job.

I suppose they thought I was just a grumpy old bastard with a very bad attitude and poor social skills and to be really honest, I didn’t know what was wrong with me either.

When I was diagnosed with PTSD, I told my current boss. I tried to explain to him what PTSD was and how it affected me but I think he just nodded in all the right places and appeared to be concerned.

Told him I was going to start counseling and I would need time off, he said to take all the time I needed.

However, after a few months of counseling he asked me how much more time will I need off as he was running out of patience with me always being away.

I didn’t think that 3 hours once a fortnight was a real big deal but evidently it is.

I explained to him again what PTSD was and that I will need counseling for years to come. He was not happy but as long as I have sick leave and a doctors certificate there is not much he can do.

I think the biggest problem with PTSD is that it is not a tangible illness.

If you see someone and they have both legs missing or are blind, you think “Poor chapâ€.

If someone finds out that you are suffering from PTSD, they say "what’s that" or worse, "come on just get over it"

There is nothing in my work place that helps me with PTSD.

This is my experience in the Australian work force.

Regards to all.

Socks.

5. anthony

anthony Renovation Aficionado Founder

Oh how familiar that sounds Socks from an ex vietnam vet I used to work with before I joined the military, before PTSD, but as I learnt, I realised that he had PTSD when I worked with him, but I didn't know what name it was called. He was a grumpy bugger, very edgy, twitchy, kept grenades and agent orange in his garage, and most likely still does... very tough nut to crack.

I asked my brother about this man, as he still see's him occassionally, and he said he has lost the plot now, gone very strange and basically derailed from society itself. I knew straight away what was going on...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Show Sidebar