• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Essential Oils For Ptsd, Anxiety And Anger?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a friend who sells essential oils, and she introduced me to them. I'm no expert. I have lavender oil as that's supposed to be calming and I like the scent. A tiny drop on my blanket does help calm my mind at night, but doesn't do anything for sleep per se. But the calming my mind part is useful in itself.

Also, they're quite expensive, at least the brand she sells, but they're very strong, too, so a little vial goes a long way.

When I was in the psych unit last year, they had essential oils available to us. I didn't use any - my abuse happened at the hands of someone who was always using strongly-scented sprays and rinses and so on, so most of the scents are triggering.

Be careful, and if you are on any medication, check with a pharmacist before you start any of them, as they may interact negatively with other substances.

I tried several in the first year of my symptoms.

Lavender, for sleep/ nighmares, fear, anxiety , panic and rage
Roman chamomile, for sleep/ nighmares, fear, anxiety , rage, withdrawal
Bergamot, for anxiety, emotional withdrawal, stress and fear
Mandarin, for sleep, nightmare, stress depression, obesity
Frankincense for fear, panic, stress and depression

Frankincense has become an essential for me. I carry a bottle with me as part of my soothing kit when I'm out, and find it good for grounding as well, as it is quite pungent. If I'm gong to be in a stressful situation I put some on my cuff so I encounter it when I put my hands up to my face.

I found Roman chamomile good in the bath, though I hated the smell and had to add one of the others to mask it. The rest just seemed to be nice smells, with no impact.. I still use them for that - this is a difficult condition to live with and we might as well have a positive sensory experience when possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back