1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

Establishing care with a new doctor, cue hyperarousal

Discussion in 'Anxiety, Panic & Hypervigilance' started by dharmaBum, Oct 11, 2017.

1. dharmaBum

dharmaBum Well-Known Member Premium Member Donated

I hoped I could make it through this day cool as a breeze. I've got 5 hours now until I go in to see a new health-care provider to establish care (and discuss my medical/mental health history) and filling out the paperwork has triggered a pretty decent hyper-adrenalized waterfall. And I can't find my Kava Kava!

I suppose the best way I can return to calm would be to imagine the appointment going as well as possible, when in actuality my body is remembering all those other health-care appointments which have been traumatic and/or dismissive. Even just remembering my health-care/trauma history is traumatic enough.

I chose not to disclose my PTSD issues with this provider prior to intake in the hopes that I could just see where I was at with my medical phobia like a rockstar- don't look back, right? Best foot forward? I bet I could read many stories in this forum about how that has worked for others.

It is pretty tricky balancing when to disclose PTSD as a right-to-privacy, empowering thing and when not disclosing PTSD is a repeat of old patterns and makes things worse rather than better.

mumstheword and EveHarrington like this.
  2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. She Cat

She Cat I'm a VIP Premium Member Sponsor $100+

With electronic medical files these days, if your previous dr knew you had PTSD, I’m sure this one will too. Nothing is kept out these days. I think it’s better to disclose, as they have a better understanding on how to treat you med wise.... JMO!!!

dharmaBum likes this.
  4. dharmaBum

They don't seem to use/share digital medical history where I live. When I took the kids in for a new doc recently, we had to go through their medical history 3 times! First in writing, then with the physician's assistant, then with the doctor. Don't want to do that today. I'm definitely requesting they get my records from previous doc!

5. dharmaBum

I made it. Yay! Because my four-year-old was under the weather, I got to hold her for an hour while she slept before the appointment. Score one for coregulation!

+littlebird and mumstheword like this.
Show Sidebar