• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Other Experience Terrorist Attacks? I Am So Alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank MY husband? I wish I could.. He doesn't talk about it like it never happened and will never admit that he has ptsd symptoms even though they are so obvious.... He's a different sort of person lol.. Very rough and tough but won't think about his life in order to save yours.. After 9/11 he left the states and traveled around the world until he ended up in Israel where I met him.. Can i tell you a story about my hubby?

During the Lebanon War our friends were stationed up at the front line and called us one day saying that they were gonna be off for the weekend and needed a ride home but the whole north was evacuated and we were the only ones with a car and the balls to come get them... On the ride there, there were missiles litterally raining down and it was sheer luck that neither the road nor our car was significantly hit at any point... We get to the northern most town we can get to where we can wait for the army bus to drop off our friends.. The town had been evacuated and there was one guy who refused to leave and kept his ice cream shop open and free for the soldiers..

As my friends bus arrives the sirens go off again there is another missile coming my husband nonchalantly looks up looks at the trajectory the missile is taking looks around and says we're good and keeps going towards the bus and our friends.. All the soldiers are all ducking with full gear on bracing themselves for the impact while my hubby just keeps walking and the missile hits the hill across the highway from us.. Driving home was another adventure but that's another story for another day...

Last edited by a moderator:
I am glad you got so many helpful replies. I can't imagine what that was like for you and my heart goes out to you.

The closest experience I have is a mass shooting, and going to my synagogue right after, in the midst of all the hype. Looking around to see if my friends were missing. The relief followed by the guilt, in seeing that they had survived when I knew not everyone had. The hype that there might be another shooter and going could be dangerous. All the stupid media hype after.

Thank you EVERYONE, Thank you for sharing your sympathy, empathy, and thank you for sharing your stories, I feel so much more around me, not so lonesome as I did when I first started the thread.
I'm sending my very best thoughts out to you guys.

This is a pretty amazing place to be! Someone here will relate..no matter what the issue is.
And tho we may not have experienced your partcular trauma...we are still here to listen, support and encourage you.
I'm glad you found us.

I mostly interact with people on this site about childhood s. abuse. Recently, though, I've been awful...
Greetings!

Please allow me to say how sorry I am that you went through such a thing! Although I have not been a victim of such an attack at this point, I live in constant fear that such a thing will happen where I live and I'm considering moving to another country in the interest of my safety.
I truly wish I had more to offer you. I am glad you are alive! I am not happy about the fact that it seems mainstream media does not give more of a voice to victims of these types of events. Personally, I think that political motivations downplay the Royales impact that these things have a pun victims. You are not alone.

Sorry, I meant "ruinous impact."

While I currently live in Colorado, Ive lived in Israel for a considerable amount of my life, my famil...
Thanks a bunch for sharing this!!! I have no idea why, but your post has helped calm my nerves a little bit today. I'm very sorry to hear of the tragic events that you have been through. However, I am darned glad that you are alive!

Last edited by a moderator:
Heya - I worked in aid and was in Pakistan when the towers went down. In a week the country went from having a sort of healthy international tourism industry to nil. I watched with 60 foreign people the news from my hotel and then was the only one within a week. I stayed and continued to work in aid. I moved to Quetta shortly after military operations started in Afghanistan to help with the influx of Afghan refugees fleeing operations there. I was here for the 2005 earthquake and I stayed and helped with the five million people who were displaced by military operations in Pakistan in 2008 and 2009, I replaced one lady from the Phillipines who was killed by flying glass when a bomb went off near her hotel in Peshawar. While I was in that post UN and INGOs ( including me as sometimes INGO rep in the Humanitarian Country Team meetings) tried to get Pakistan and Masood tribe in Waziristan to reenter peace talks they agreed and that friday someone bombed WFP. Needless to say WFP being bombed was used as justification to flatten Waziristan. In my next job about five months later I was at work on in the am - even before the day started and I was called in for a crisis management team meeting and listened to distressed staff on the phone who were hiding in another office from 15 armed gunmen who were gathering everyone and asking if they were from the area - no one there answered .They shot staff and they detonated an improvised explosive device - 6 people were killed immediately and then the terrorists fled and then came the task of managing the aftermath including people around me informing the parents of the deseased , securing the sites assets and remaining closing down about five other offices and sending them home sitting with family of one remaining seriously ill victim, when he succumbed to his injuries...Handing over life insurance checks to parents of young aid workers - a measly 2000 dollars.....the attack took 15 minutes the aftermath the memorials the security trainings and encouraged hypervigilence lasted about 4 more years before I collapsed with overwhelm when we started to repeat the cycle after death threats. I don't watch the news anymore - there have been so Many trerrorist attcks in Pakistan - in quetta one of my colleagues lost 9 cousins in one attack. I think you are not alone - I think even if there is risk you have to decide to get on with things - the issue for us is it really doesn't matter what we think as its a part of us that is reacting not thinking that is pulling the shots until we hall it back into line. I had a therapist who had supported hundreds of 911 survivors at the time -she needed therapy but she was there for us - at that time we all just wanted to get on with our work but the PTSD kicked in later.... 20-20 hindsight I should have left my job instead of trying to lift it from the embers of all that trauma.

the sirens go off again
Audio is a rough thing for me. On occasion a song will catch my ear, an instant of a siren note... other noises & sounds in my head. The pitch. How are you supposed to stay away from a variety of pitches? Cannot be done. I don't listen to music as much as I used to.
Sorry. I'm feeling rant-ish at the moment.

Heya - I worked in aid and was in Pakistan when the towers went down. In a week the country went from havi...
20-20 hindsight, so much, so many things. thanks for writing your story, I don't have much I can say besides - your bravery..., I'm sorry for all the hurts.

And thank you very much for accepting and reading my very very long story :)
@Sheera, whole point of this site! parts of it, anyway, and this is one of them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back