• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

News Facebook Service Dog Groups.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barberian

MyPTSD Pro
A couple months ago, I decided to expand my social horizon a little bit. I joined some FB service dog groups. I know we all have issues here, but overall we are a pretty nice group, with manners, etc.

Most of these service dog FB groups are a mess in every way. Someone posts a question or problem they have and it's like a bar fight or Federal Senate "debate". It makes us look "normal" even with all our problems. I've left most of the sd FB groups. My mind is like Jello after trying to follow only a few of the many posts/treads. These are supposed to be "normal" people...:confused:

Tonight I asked a question in one group and got about 7 random answers that makes me not sure they even read the question.

I wish more people had access to a well maintained and "policed" forum for their problems like we have.

Even though this post started out about the sd FB groups, it just brings to mind how grateful I am to Anthony, Nichole, and the mods for all you do.

That is a general and often raised issue upon the web about Facebook groups. Some are really good, but the majority are run by people who don't really have a clue how to run such things. The FB groups structure also doesn't allow easy searching and raising of past content and constructive answers, thus you ask something, get an argument of responses, maybe get your answer, maybe not... then it gets buried forever.

The thing is though... is that there used to be forums for everything, but people stopped supporting them as much because FB is free, so admins closed their boards due to lack of interest and walked away, people decided to start an FB group... and thus communities have really decayed for the worst nowadays as a result.

I was a part of one of those groups for about 5 minutes. I was baffled at how vicious of an environment it was. I posted once to say, "HEY, knock it off people. You are supposed to be SUPPORTING each other, and actually responding to the question the poster actually asked." It lead to vicious in-fighting about that very post even, with a few random comments too. I quickly left the group, disheartened about the state of humanity.

Really, I had been very spoiled by the experience of the community here.

To Anthony, and all the other staff here - thank you deeply for all you do day in and day out.

I've seen others post on other forums. about how bad those facebook groups can be. I have never joined any facebook support groups, so I have no direct experience with them, however I have been attacked elsewhere on facebook by people who were supposedly my friends, so I have no doubt that what you say regarding the chaos of those groups is the truth.

I like the anonymity here. I know that nothing on the internet is 100% secure or 100% safe, but I feel comfortable here because it is anonymous and I don't post identifying details nor do I tell anyone I am a member of this forum. With the constant safety breaches on facebook, I would hesitate to post anything personal on that site as you never know if your personal private medical information would be out there for everyone to see (ie your PTSD status and symptoms that you experience).

I left all FB groups. I tried to help, I even joined the Admin team of one group that I thought could make a difference but the drama and animosity was way too much for me to handle. People just want to fight. My anxiety level had decreased significantly since I quit the FB SD groups.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back