• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Fainting...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jen93

MyPTSD Pro
I was wondering if anybody else has done this. I've started to faint. I've always had headaches to prevent flashbacks- coping mechanism, but lately I've felt dizzy when having thoughts about my trauma or encountering triggers or something. It usually happens in the shower, and so I'm able to get myself to bed ASAP and fall asleep then. It's only started happening a week ago.

Like I was in the car, and my brother was bugging me, saying "We're going to England" (yeah, he does that to provoke my anxiety.. I don't think he sees how much it hurts.) and we were listening to his audiobook in the car that he needed to have for school. It had a British accent, and I kept begging my parents to turn it off and they wouldn't. I remember thinking "Maybe if I'm good and quiet and don't draw attention to myself she won't hurt me. Maybe if I'm good and quiet and don't draw attention to myself she won't hurt me...." Repeat. Repeat. Repeat. I was staring really hard at the back of my father's chair, and then my eyes closed and everything went black.

I've never fainted before. It was scary. My brother poked me, and then I was able to open my eyes. (I was sitting in the car.) Is it normal to faint? What caused it? Was it a reaction to the triggers? There were so many of them.

Any input would be appreciated.

I fainted in class today. My anxiety was really really high; I was dizzy, I was embarrassed to tell anyone that I didn't know where I was or who they were, I was getting slideshow flashbacks so I just numbed out and fainted. I woke up staring at my thighs in the chair. I was slumped over. Do you guys think I should tell my teachers? I don't even know why it happens. Or if it is really fainting. I haven't told my doctor. When it happens I lose my vision, but not my hearing- my hearing gets really really fuzzy and I can't move. My eyes start to close I can't keep them open, then they close, everything is dark. I can't open them. My mind is blank and everything is black and I'm unaware of anything or passing of time. I want to open my eyes or speak but I can't, but I'm still breathing.

It's like falling asleep but scarier. Is it fainting? I have no idea. It happens when I'm triggered though and I keep it hidden that I'm triggered or having a flashback or don't know where I am.

Hi I agree with Movin On, I think you need to go and get it checked out by a doctor just in case. Better to be safe than sorry. Good luck in finding out what is causing it. Big hugs.

*hugs*

I have been having a lot of black outs recently, esp when distressed/panicky/mid flashback - Head will go really fuzzy, hard to describe, then everything goes black, I go weak and bang, am out cold for a good few mins. When come round often too weak/physically numb for a while so still can't move. Then so dissorientated I have no recollection of what was doing just before/ where I am - pretty scary! It's horrid - apparently anxiety/severe dissociation, weird what our bodies do to protect us :s

xxx

My mom made an appointment with my psych on the ninth of November as I'm positive it's stress related and wondering if it's normal or how to snap myself out of it. Now I just hope that he takes me seriously and that I can go the month without it happening again.

I just came back to this thread to say that I had an appointment with my DSO at school. (My teacher made an appointment after I'd had a flashback... I may have also accidentally told her not to hit me...) Anyway, that was about two weeks ago, and I just wanted to say I think I sort of understand it now.

It has happened twice since then, once watching a show with my parents but they didn't notice, and once in class talking about a story which triggered me. (which was to be expected, even the title triggered me and I won't write the title here for fear of triggering anyone else.)

The DSO lady seemed to know a little about PTSD/dissociation, and so I told her about the weird fainting thing. She said not to quote her on this, but it was probably on the spectrum of dissociation that I experience. SO: I think it might be that the whole fight/flight/freeze thing, if I find it's inappropriate to flight (run from the class) and/or freeze (not know where I am, or ask anybody where I am...) I "faint" (I'm just going to call it fainting even though I don't lose consciousness, because that's the only word I can use to describe it.)

And if that's the case, I think it's time to tell my teachers not just about my flashbacks, but about my dissociation; or figure out ways to protect myself in class when I'm dissociated.

*hugs*

Glad you've got support & gaining understanding. I think your right to want to inform teachers - it's about keeping you safe. I have had it described in a very similar way & has made it feel more manageable - I know it's just physical manifestation of PTSD, am not dying. Excruciating in back to work interview I had on Thurs - for my own safety & that of kiddies (am a teacher) I had to explain physical problems including this - so hard to not sound very unhinged but important to remember nothing to be ashamed about & coping strategy project yourself from extreme stress - pretty clever really!! Am petrified having one at school but better at recognising precursors, although at school more likely to ignore & push self beyond than respond to in a positive, compassionate manner. Xxx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back