• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

General Faith And Ptsd

Status
Not open for further replies.

living4jesus

Confident
This is a faith based supporter question, so if you don't agree with Christianity please do not respond, I am looking for faith based advice and opinions only. Thank you :)

What is the faith and trust in God we are supposed to have when it comes to the healing of PTSD? I know that Combat PTSD is a lifetime disease but with treatment it can get better. However, I come from a strong christian family and all of them keep telling me that PTSD is nothing God cannot heal. Now, I believe this but I also believe that only if it is Gods plan to heal them. Sometimes God has us walk thru the dark for a while to get to the light, for his Glory in the end. And I do believe that it has to do with the individual that has PTSD and his faith and desire to be healed as well. My family is not familar with PTSD because they have not educated themselves on it. They just know that God can heal all things. I agree but only if its Gods will to heal you. I feel like I am at a tug of war with my thoughts on this. And I feel like I am constantly trying to come up with explainations to my family about PTSD and they just don't get it. Sometimes you can be so heavenly focused that your no earthly good. And I think that is where my family stands with this.

Hi Living for Jesus,

Some great thoughts. Please take anything I have to say as my own thoughts. In regards to you saying that the person suffering PTSD 's faith comes into play... I once heard a great teaching that spoke about the faith level of the people Jesus raised from the dead? They were dead, they had no faith, so their healing wasn't dependant on that.

It was very freeing for my hubby, he didn't need another stress of whether his faith was sufficient enough. I agree with your other statements, God is God and we don't know all of his ways or all of his purposes. I try to focus on what we do know, and that is he will never leave us nor forsake us, he will help us get through this. I have also heard that when someone suffers an emotional illness which I belive PTSD is partly, then it seems that God helps and heals you through those emotional issues rather than a wham bam miracle. Although as you say God is capable of that too. It's learning about yourself in the process. Learning to better cope with your symptoms that type of thing. I understand your frustration though, I have a mother who's the same, she has definitly eased off 6 yrs later. As with other illness' sometimes the person is healed sometimes they're not. As you say it makes you question your own thoughts and beliefs. Believing in God isn't just believing in Santa Claus and giving him our wish list, he's so much more. Questioning is ok, it's good to know why we believe what we do. Good to firmly plant some heart knowledge rather than head knowledge. Just as an aside, I really do believe God gives skills to Drs of all walks and that healing comes through their knowledge/therapies/medication etc

Just my thoughts... I can't imagine walking this journey without Him.

<Font style changed by Amethist>

Thank you Leweyoz for your thoughts on this, it really lifted me up!

Your'e absolutley right, God wants us to learn about ourselves in the process. I guess if we had Wam Bam miracles all the time then we really wouldn't grow stronger and closer to God thru trials.

I have been struggling lately thinking why is God allowing this to happen. Why can't he just heal my fiancee. Why do I have to go thru this too. I start questioning God alot but your absolutley right, God allows us to grow thru trials for us to grow not only in life but in our relationship with God. I picked up the bible after I posted this and read about trials and found this scripture that really helped me see what you basically just pointed out to me.

1 Peter 1:7(NLV)
"These trials will show that your faith is genuine. It is being tested as fire tests and purifies gold—though your faith is far more precious than mere gold. So when your faith remains strong through many trials, it will bring you much praise and glory and honor on the day when Jesus Christ is revealed to the whole world."

Lately I have been so depressed and drained and hurting watching my fiancee just get worse and worse with PTSD that I have been questioning God alot. My faith has remained strong, but I just get so down sometimes that I wondered why God. You know what I mean? So thank you so much for posting your response to me, it was very encouraging. :)

If God brings us to it, he will see us thru it!

My own Christian perspective about trials and afflictions is similar to yours. Paul had a thorn in his side, Job suffered tremendously and God allowed it... but basically in my view... the purpose of trials, adversity, and affliction is character building. As Christians we are to build faith and godly character... to endure trials and mature in faith, in humility, in obedience, and "pick up your cross and follow Jesus". I can not know God's purpose for my afflictions, but I can rest in the assurance that He loves me and all is for His good purpose. One of my favorite biblical analogies is the refiners fire... and I find comfort and stronger faith if I can remember "And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong." (2nd Corinthians 12:9-10)

Hi Living4Jesus and albatross, you both gave some excellent scriptures there. I'm going to go dwell on those some more.

Was reading in a book last night about Job's suffering, even he wavered back and forth in his doubts and then confidence in God. Don't beat yourself up too much living4Jesus for having doubts. I think to be upbeat and super confident and spiro all the time would be like living a fantasy in some dream land, it's just not possible or realistic... well not for me at any rate lol.

Another scripture that I have sat on since early in my husbands diagnosis was Ps 27:14 in the amplified. Wait and hope for and expect the Lord, be brave and of good courage and let your heart be stout and enduring. Yes wait for and hope for and expect the Lord.

I often can't remember the whole verse, but what is imprinted in my heart is Wait-Hope-Expect! I don't necessarily know what that will look like for us/me, but it definitely gives me hope.

Have enjoyed this discussion!

This scripture popped for me this morning:
Psalm 20: 7-8
Some trust in chariots and some in horses, but we trust in the name of the LORD our God. They are brought to their knees and fall, but we rise up and stand firm.

Isaiah 41:10
Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.

There is so much scripture to strengthen and support and comfort us!

We may not know why trials come upon us and why stuff happens, but there is so much we do know, in how God doesn't want to leave us to flounder on our own when we read these.

There is so much scripture to strengthen and support and comfort us!
We may not know why trials come upon us and why stuff happens, but there is so much we do know, in how God doesn't want to leave us to flounder on our own when we read these.

The word of God is what gets me thru each and every day, thanks for posting these other scriptures ladies. This is great stuff, I truly have been blessed reading these. :)

Hey guys, been busy all weekend.

Been so nice to have your added input with a faith perspective. His word is definitely God breathed, it does make such a diference.

. My family is not familar with PTSD because they have not educated themselves on it. They just know that God can heal all things..

Question: If your fiancee had diabetes or a peanut allergy, would your family educate themselves on how they need to cook for him? Be diligent in trying to find hidden peanuts? Or would they wait for God to heal him? Why should PTSD be any different?

Faith is not an excuse for laziness, indifference, or ignorance. Sorry, hit a sore spot for me.:(

Hi Eleanor I can understand how that must hit a sore spot for you... but it really is about informing and educating yourself for sure. Mental health just seems to carry that stigma... the unknown.

Do you think it's changing? I feel it is in tiny steps, very tiny :) Do you think it's the older generation that is less understanding, perhaps? They seem to have that very strong demeanor of just getting on with it (life). I guess in those generations lots of breakthroughs were made. Maybe that's why they think that way... don't want to stereotype here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back