• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

General Faith And Ptsd

Status
Not open for further replies.
“(1)Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, wehave peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ,

(2)through whom we have gained access by faith into this grace in which we now stand. And we rejoice in the hope of the glory of God.

(3)Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance;

(4)perseverance, character; and character, hope.

(5)And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given us.”

Romans 5:1-5

<Edited for readability>

These verses in Isaiah have been very encouraging to me in my struggle with PTSD:

Isaiah 43

Israel’s Only Savior

1, But now, this is what the LORD says—
he who created you, Jacob,
he who formed you, Israel:
“Do not fear, for I have redeemed you;
I have summoned you by name; you are mine.

2,, When you pass through the waters,
I will be with you;
and when you pass through the rivers,
they will not sweep over you.
When you walk through the fire,
you will not be burned;
the flames will not set you ablaze.

10 “You are my witnesses,” declares the LORD,
“and my servant whom I have chosen,
so that you may know and believe me
and understand that I am he.
Before me no god was formed,
nor will there be one after me.

11, I, even I, am the LORD,
and apart from me there is no savior.

12, I have revealed and saved and proclaimed—
I, and not some foreign god among you.
You are my witnesses,” declares the LORD, “that I am God.

13, Yes, and from ancient days I am he.
No one can deliver out of my hand.
When I act, who can reverse it?”
God’s Mercy and Israel’s Unfaithfulness

18, “Forget the former things;
do not dwell on the past.

19, See, I am doing a new thing!
Now it springs up; do you not perceive it?
I am making a way in the wilderness
and streams in the wasteland.

20, The wild animals honor me,
the jackals and the owls,
because I provide water in the wilderness
and streams in the wasteland,
to give drink to my people, my chosen,

21, The people I formed for myself
that they may proclaim my praise.

I hope you find this encouraging! I know how difficult to be to struggle with something like this and have problems with other Christians understanding how difficult life can be with PTSD.

<Edited for text formatting>

That is another beautiful verse. This is my favorite verse for when I read on here of people asking how we deal with our sufferers.

1. If I could speak all the languages of earth and of angels, but didn’t love others, I would only be a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal.

2. If I had the gift of prophecy, and if I understood all of God’s secret plans and possessed all knowledge, and if I had such faith that I could move mountains, but didn’t love others, I would be nothing.

3. If I gave everything I have to the poor and even sacrificed my body, I could boast about it; but if I didn’t love others, I would have gained nothing.

4. Love is patient and kind. Love is not jealous or boastful or proud

5. or rude. It does not demand its own way. It is not irritable, and it keeps no record of being wronged.

6. It does not rejoice about injustice but rejoices whenever the truth wins out.

7. Love never gives up, never loses faith, is always hopeful, and endures through every circumstance.

8. Prophecy and speaking in unknown languages and special knowledge will become useless. But love will last forever!

9. Now our knowledge is partial and incomplete, and even the gift of prophecy reveals only part of the whole picture!

10. But when the time of perfection comes, these partial things will become useless.

11. When I was a child, I spoke and thought and reasoned as a child. But when I grew up, I put away childish things.

12.Now we see things imperfectly, like puzzling reflections in a mirror, but then we will see everything with perfect clarity. All that I know now is partial and incomplete, but then I will know everything completely, just as God now knows me completely.

13. Three things will last forever—faith, hope, and love—and the greatest of these is love.

<Edited for text formatting>

Unfortunately, I have walked away from God for a long time. I look back on my last 20 years and it almost makes me sick to my stomach. They say all things happen for a reason, and my wife wanting a divorce has opened my eyes. I am struggling with it, but I do feel God working in my life. I decided to talk to my wife about God, and she seemed to open up to Him.

I always let her know that I am praying for her health and well being. I pray that God will fill her with peace, and mend her trust. I pray for her to be able to forgive, and grow in God's Word. Well, I have found a prayer book called "The Power of a Praying Husband". It has about 20 prayers for all different aspects of her life and married life. I find a lot of the prayers enlightening, and sometimes I cry while praying them.

She knows about the book, and yesterday, I sent her a prayer for our marriage. It talks about putting lost or buried love back in our hearts, and giving us a bond of love that can never be broken. It also talks about severing unholy ties, and not allowing others to come between us. I knew that this would hit a soft spot, as she has been talking to another man, which she says his wife left him, so he gives her advice about how to deal with me.

She says that she has her own thoughts, and she just needs to share them with someone other than me. It is not for me to judge whether it is the truth or not(I pray for help with this every day), but she got angry that I sent her that prayer. She says that she loves that I pray for her, but by sending her prayers, she feels that I am shoving it down her throat.

I am at a loss. I guess that particular prayer may have been pushy, as I have told her that I do not want a divorce and how I feel that God shows me how to love her more every day.

I asked if we could discuss setting up boundaries, as I don't want to confuse or upset her. She tells me that she is confused, and she needs to learn to put herself first, as for 17 years, she put me first. I am kind of just venting, as it is frustrating. I feel that while PTSD is affecting our personal relationship, our marriage was severely affected, if not over in her eyes before she was triggered.

I do know, that God showed me this site, so that I can be a support for her. I do want to support her through all of this, as her health is most important, for her and our children. It is just a very hard balancing act, but God will give me the strength. I put it all in God's hands, and He will take care of it all.
Thank you for starting this thread, it is of great help.

Trust me there is something out there we humans cannot understand. Everyone gets their karma in the end.

Sometimes you can be so heavenly focused that your no earthly good.
I am a Christian and experience the same with my parents. We can only offer what we know an pray they are willing to accept it and if not, an d if asked stop offering what we know about PTSD.

I have PTSD, and want healing and thought I had been heeled while I was not encountering any triggers. Well, now that I am married I have been overwhelmed with trials and I am beginning to believe it is not God's will for me to be healed but for me and my husband to deal with my fear of intamacy as I am. Sad but true and I am hoping God knows what he's doing because this is very hard.

What is the faith and trust in God we are supposed to have when it comes to the healing of PTSD?

The observations written in the below paragraph are about people in general, not those on the forum who generally have a far greater understanding of life.

Personally I believe far too many people believe God is supposed to be thier personal genie and grant their wishes on command. They get upset and wave their fists at the sky and scream at the Lord "Why haven't you done as I asked?"

I may never heal from PTSD and my other conditions. It's a daily journey and challenge. Some days I do better, some days I do worse. Overall, I believe I will be a better person in the end as long as I keep trying.

I personally have asked the Lord to do with me as he wishes. To use me as a tool for either my own benefit or the benefit of others around me. If this means I suffer greatly, so be it. I am at his mercy. In a sign of weakness, I followed up with that asking that if he can use me without destroying me, that would be appreciated. I understand that we can not grow without facing adversity and overcoming it. I am not mad at the Lord for my situation(s) in life, but I am glad that I am still alive to be able to continue to learn. I believe once I die, that is when I face the judgement. Until then, I can can continue to learn and hopefully become a better Christian. I can hopefully help others on their life journey as well. If the rest of my life is to be suffering from the mortal condition at least I still have an opportunity to learn, even if it's in pain and from painful lessons. I also have the opportunity for others to learn and grow by working with/around me. I also believe the greater the challenge, the greater the rewards.

When I die, I don't want the rewards described in the bible of living in marble mansions, with all the gold and all that. I will be overjoyed if I am simply allowed in heaven. I will be overjoyed if I get a hut made of trash in the back corner by a sewer drain as long as I'm allowed in heaven.

This verse has been very encouraging to me in my struggle with depression. It's very tempting to think that God could use me more if I had not suffered this much. But that is not true--I think God has a special place in his heart for people who are hurting, who are broken, who know they need him. I know that God has used my pain in some incredible ways and he could not have done that if I had not suffered. I don't think it was his will for me to suffer in that way, but I think he used me where I was, he was tender to me. I think he will be tender to you all as well.

2 Corinthians 12:7-10:

To keep me from becoming conceited because of these surpassingly great revelations, there was given me a thorn in my flesh, a messenger of Satan, to torment me. 8 Three times I pleaded with the Lord to take it away from me. 9 But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me. 10 That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back