• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

False Memory or False Recall

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 93

Do others with memory issues have this? Not over trauma or big shit, just in general? I played a game tonight with the kids and if you asked me we did twice. Moments into what I thought was the second game they said with hubby I was misfiring upstairs. I swear we played a full game and recall the end (apparently I am pulling up a past game) and then started a new one. I have no idea how I am thinking I have done something I did not and recall it so clear. It is just a game of candy land, so not huge but still scary as I recall something that did not happen very vividly. Others have this?

Hi Veiled,

I have had moments kind of like this, but not so immediate. "Didn't we just do this yesterday" (something totally insignificant) and my husband will tell me "no, that was last week". For me, it almost seems like an issue with time passing and I've been attributing it lately to depression. I've also replaced certain memories (not traumatic) with different people but I think this might be common in most people.

However, what you're describing almost sounds like it could be a form of dissociating. Do you have a history of dissociating? Were you triggered by something during the first game of CandyLand?

Best,
Rachel

This happens to me on a daily basis and it irritates the hell out of me. I have gotten to the point where I don't argue with someone who tells me I'm wrong about a situation that I think happened one way when it actually happened another, because I have found out that I'm usually wrong, and they are right.

It took 3 years to figure out that I just don't recall things properly/entirely and to count on others to recall the process with accuracy for me. It scares me because I found that people will take advantage of this. They know I have memory problems so they can say what they want to benefit them, and I will go along with it. SUCKS!

Tammy

Yep I have this problem and I've had it long term. I'm pretty much with Tammy on this except for one thing. I don't just have to trust that what someone says is the way it worked. You have to earn that with me. I'm more than happy to just tell them that it isn't how I remember it or that I don't remember it and let it go. Really most of it isn't that important. I will have those I do trust verify things for me.

bec

If it is extremely important I will investigate it before letting it go. But all of the other things that aren't all that important I just let it go hoping they are not lying to me.

Tammy

As usual sucks I am not alone while nice I am not. My son wrecked my car the other day (he is fine the other one was a parked car) just wonder how this will be skewed later LOL.

Seriously...

I was sitting here with a blank screen staring at the smilies thinking "what the hell was I going to say?...what is this post even about.?"

I have to write lists. I have lists everywhere and i set the alarm on my phone for everything....son's swim lessons, dr appts, even to remind me it's trash day. My husband and I argue constantly over he said-she said, i told you-no you didn't kind of stuff. I can't remember conversations I just had. I'll call friends and ask how their day is going and they'll laugh because I had just called an hour earlier. I think for me is there's only so much room in my brain right now and my PTSD symptoms have taken over a lot of it. I notice it gets worse when I shut down for days or weeks at a time (disassociate) and I'm sureeee my meds don't help.

I have issues with dissociation. Even though I now know there are blanks in my memories, I didn't know for a very long time. It was scary to seem to have either no recall at all of an event, or three different versions of it. It still creeps me out when my time disappears, because I'm always afraid of what I might have been doing. In reality, it's been more than 10 years since I had an episode of dissociation so bad that I actually have a blank spot. But before then? I'm missing roughly five years. Not ALL of 5 years, but big holes with unidentifiable images in them. I remember the worst things, it seems. At times I get very afraid of what I might still have to remember. And at other times I'm just grateful that I have any mind of my own left at all. red

I have this too. I think it has everything to do with the "damage" that PTSD can cause on the brain, especially where memory is involved. I forget whole events unless someone prompts me to remember with lots of hints. And even then, sometimes, I still don't remember. I used to think that it was because I choose not to remember some things because of how cruddy life was. But I don't think that's it. I think it's more physical, like my synapses are not working properly. I hope to get better.

Well, I was wondering about false recall... Not forgetting but remembering something untrue and trivial. But about the memory issues while we are at it LOL...

No, mine has not improved. My teenager thinks he has no obligation to tell me anything he is doing since according to him I forget an hour later. I really thought meds were the problem when I took them. When my symptoms made up my entire daily life I thought it was that too. Now that I am "OK" and function that is one thing that has not changed. I think I agree with Nam, something up there just does not work right anymore. There is an upside, I am used to it and it does not bother me near as much as it used too. I have gotten used to being thought of as a bit ditsy.

i had an interesting thing going with this in the past year or so, being stuck on a couple of committees, ive seen the notes taken down and read them at the meeting and known they are accurate but a week later i look at them and im going did i say that? am i supposed to be doing that i dont remember it being agreed? and wondering why my memory is different to what happened,
i have noticed that things which arent really important to me dont neccesarilly stick in my mind the same way as other people, i can recall silly trivial things to most people which have had some relevance to me and have seemed important or formed an impression in my inner world but sometimes the things outside just get bits missing and i remember different things at times, sometimes i recall what i wanted to say rather than what i actually said, memory is a tricky thing at times,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back