1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

Favorite Authors

Discussion in 'Social' started by jade, Jan 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jade

jade Active Member

Noticed that there wasn't a thread for this and just thought I would throw it out there. As I am a very avid reader, one of the few remaining things I can really say I enjoy doing. I have a tendency to read fictional books from a time period of the ice age to pre 1900. But I have to admit that my ultimate all time favorite author is STEPHEN KING. I have most of his books at home in my bookshelf. I think I have read most every thing he has put out. I am waiting for the book store to order Lizzys Story for me right now.

My ultimate favorite it the Gunslinger Series. The whole set consists of 7 books. I do have the whole set and have read the whole 3 or 4 times through so far. For some weird reason I feel a connection between them and my life as it is.

Just curious anyone else have a favorite?

2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. kimdim

kimdim Member

My favourite authors are Josephine Cox Danielle Steele and Joan Jonker the latter is really funny.
    I like to read a lot and am never away from the library, i would be lost without a book.
    Not for me the Mills and Boon romance stuff as they are all the same and real life is not like that as we know.

4. mouse

mouse Well-Known Member

I love Patricia Cromwell, she writes a series of books that are murder mystery about a state medical examiner and her friend the detective they are great thinking books and full of entertainment, as well Mich Album Tuesday's with Morrie, The 5 people you meet in Heaven & For one more day These are must reads for everyone the books make you really sit back and take a look at your life.

5. permban0077

permban0077 Policy Enforcement Banned

I used to like John Saul. But these days it is all I have to make it through one post at a time. Can't really read anymore. I got a book I wanted for Christmas, but I have not been able to focus on it beyond the first page, since this is more interactive it helps.

6. becvan

becvan Queen of the Blunt! Premium Member

Stephen King (I collect him)
    Dean Koontz (I collect him)
    J.R.R. Tolkein (I collect him)
    Margeret Atwood
    James Clavell
    and any other classic or classic series

bec

7. batgirl

batgirl I'm a VIP

I like George Orwell, Anthony Burgess and Aldous Huxley best. Animal Farm, Nineteen Eighty-Four, Clockwork Orange, The End of the World News and Brave New World are probably my five favorite books ever. I also like H.P. Lovecraft, Isaac Asimov, Ambroise Bierce, John Steinbeck, Ernest Hemingway, Anton Chekhov, Tolstoy, Dostoyevsky. Heavy stuff.

Graphic novel writers, my favorite is Alan Moore, who is the author of Watchmen, A Small Killing, and V for Vendetta. I also like Maus (Art Spiegelman), and Stuck Rubber Baby (Howard Cruse).

8. permban0077

permban0077 Policy Enforcement Banned

koontz, I forgot him... I got a book that was a collecting of short stories for a gift (pretty damn sure it was him) King I read growing up.

9. jade

jade Active Member

Hey Mouse I like P. Cromwell also as does my husband and he hates to read. Another favorite is Jean Auel and the Earths Children series. I have read them through and through again. For me they are an escape. I get into them so much that its like I'm looking through the eyes of the main character. When I start reading you could scream at me and I will not hear you. Used to drive my mom nuts.

10. Celt

Celt Member

Another Stephen King reader here,plus
    Charles De Lint
    Terry Pratchett(a brilliant,funny author)
    and of course Tolkein !!!!!!!

11. Scott_Fraser

Scott_Fraser Well-Known Member

I like books by James Heriot, like It shouldn't happen to a Vet, about a young Vet in North Yorkshire before and after WW2, it is very funny and very moving as well.
    Scott:cool:

12. batgirl

batgirl I'm a VIP

I've never read the James Herriot books, but I used to like watching the television version... "All Creatures Great and Small" I think it was called?

13. reallydown

reallydown I'm a VIP

I am mostly into 19th C. lit...George Eliot's Daniel Deronda is probably one of my all time favourites...But, I like Dostoyevsky, Balzac, Dickens...
    Like Chekhov too, Ibsen's plays as well

Of the 20th C. stuff...Orwell, Huxley, Beckett, Joyce (what I've read of him...not Ulysses ...yet)...

Oh and I love Alan Paton's Cry, the Beloved Country...read it in highschool and it has stayed with me all this time hehehe

RD

PS...can't believe I left out Austen...Pride and Prejudice and Emma will always have a special place in my heart hahaha

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Show Sidebar