1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

Favourite Firefox Extensions?

Discussion in 'Social' started by anthony, Jan 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anthony

anthony Renovation Aficionado Founder

I thought I would post this here, as I do love my firefox browser compared to IE, because the sheer flexibility that firefox allows us to have, opposed to Microsofts IE.

Two of my favourite extensions is the Search Status and Web Developer: http://www.quirk.biz/searchstatus/ and https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/60/ which shows alexa, google, etc (small in the bottom right of the browser, instead of chunky toolbars) but more importantly, provides other tools to see where things go design wise, ie. links. I guess this is one way in which helps me identify spammers trying to do things on this forum, ie. links from "punctuation" or "smilies" and the silly things people try.

I love geek stuff... what can I say!!!

2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. Andre

Andre Active Member

I am also very fond of using Firefox. Having the bookmarks stored as a single HTML file is more convenient for backing up when I need to reinstall my system. I find a few extensions useful, mostly for making it easier to read pages. One that comes to mind to get rid of annoying flash advertisements is Flashblock. Another for making long simple text documents more readable is eReader.

I also frequently use a bookmarklet to set almost all elements of page display to as simple as possible. Forgive me for posting this if it is a problem, but I think you might find it useful too as you have made this site very easy to read and I like that very much. It is nice to have to make pages look like they should to be readable. Make it a new bookmark in the bookmarks toolbar and just click it when you are on an offending page. It is:

javascript:(function(){var newSS, styles='* { background: white ! important; color: black !important } :link, :link * { color: #0000EE !important } :visited, :visited * { color: #551A8B !important }'; if(document.createStyleSheet) { document.createStyleSheet(%22javascript:'%22+styles+%22'%22); } else { newSS=document.createElement('link'); newSS.rel='stylesheet'; newSS.href='data:text/css,'+escape(styles); document.getElementsByTagName(%22head%22)[0].appendChild(newSS); } })();

4. Andre

Andre Active Member

Unfortunately it seems eReader does not work with 2.0 or later, 1.5 is the limit for it. I had not used it in a while, apparently not since 2.0 came out as I upgraded when I read about it. There is no version of eReader for 2.0 yet. For geek/nerd things, do you ever read slashdot.org or any of the other sites like it?

5. anthony

I do on occassion Andre, yes. I used to run my own online marketing company, though it all just got too much in the end dealing with clients, so I wound it up and retired instead. I do love technology, though I not an avid buyer of most of the nonsense. I like to know how things work and the principles behind them, but you will not find me with a blackberry, bluetooth, etc etc etc, as I can't stand the things personally. Quite ironic for me being a geek as such, considering you would be lucky to get me carrying my mobile phone even.

6. Andre

Andre Active Member

I do not think there is any real conflict in liking technology but hating intrusive devices. I am a bit of a Luddite myself, until recently my phone was nearly a decade old, and it was better than the one I have now. My new one gets worse service and sounds like it was more cheaply manufactured but I could not fix the old one when it broke.

7. anthony

Yer, I only recently got a new phone also, because my old brick finally died in peace... this new little thing is so tiny I could easily lose the damn thing.

8. anthony

I wanted to comment on this for a while now, just saying the new version 2 of firefox browser kicks Internet Explorers arse all over the place. Now they have fixed the load problem, and the browser loads as IE does, the extra benefits and features firefox provides, Microsoft could certainly take many leafs from their book in design of how a good Internet browser should function and work for the user.

9. batgirl

batgirl I'm a VIP

That's good to know, I'll have to try Firefox soon, as I have a lot of issues with IE, and I'm really getting fed up with it. It's always crashing and doing weird shit to my computer.

10. becvan

becvan Queen of the Blunt! Premium Member

Firefox is all I EVER use.. I hate IE, it's garbage...

bec

11. anthony

Exactly Evie... and the new firefox if it does crash, when reopened will give you the choice to return to the session you lost, including all and any data mid stream entered... so you would never lose a post if it crashed on you. Very powerful browser, shits all over IE.

12. batgirl

batgirl I'm a VIP

Oh that's very cool that it saves your data! I think I might download it later on today and try it out.

13. batgirl

batgirl I'm a VIP

Well I downloaded Firefox and I'm trying it out now... seems pretty good so far. Only, a couple of the links I usually use to navigate the forum here don't work anymore. There are alternate ways to get to what I want though, so that's not a huge deal.