• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Favourite Firefox Extensions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I downloaded FireFox a couple of months ago... I'll never go back to IE

For those of us who have a hard time reading small print... just press 'ctrl' and '+' at the same time to enlarge the font size.

Good going YA... I love the browser, and have been a fan ever since its creation. Seen many good things come from it, a few bad, though Mozilla really listen, fix things quickly, and take notice of what people want, not what they think they want. Microsoft suck at asking for what people really want in a browser, any products actually. Too big, too corporate, too ignorant IMHO.

I am reading it... Is it free or going to charge me somewhere? And if it is bad for me will I have issues going back to IE?

It is free... you can use both on your computer, one does not remove the other. Hell, you can have every browser on the market on your computer if you want, plenty of my mates are geeks like that, and have exactly that. Web designers also, so they can test thing across multiple browsers.

You can have both installed on your computer at the same time actually.

Just download FireFox, and don't delete IE.

When you want the internet, just open the browser you prefer, they shouldn't affect eachother

What would that be Evie?

Well, you know the link tree, that's at the top, where it says PTSD Forum / Break The Ice / Chat - General , and then the name of the thread you're viewing. The "Chat - General" link doesn't work. When I'm finished reading a thread, I usually would click on the Chat - General link to go back to the list of posts in that board. But now I have to click on "Break The Ice", and then go back into the board. It's the same thing for Chat - PTSD, and the others. Always the last link doesn't work.

hmm The first time I downloaded it it said corrupted file, maybe same issues there? I did it over. I like it finds my typos :) Other than that no major difference and my links are working.

Evie, that would be because your likely using 800 x 600 resolution, being an older resolution. Your buttons at the top are likely fallen too two rows. The design is built for higher resolutions, being not many use 800 x 600 resolution anymore.

Veiled, IE7 changed because of firefox, being firefox had developed all these new features that IE have now copied into their IE7. So yes, firefox have just gone further. What you don't see with firefox, is that firefox allows you to add things into the browsers functionality, being "add-ons", thousands of little scripts which make using the browser more functional depending on whay you do upon the internet. You can find those scripts and links at the firefox site. Thousands of develpers around the world write add-ons for firefox increasing its performance, little tidbits basically, that people want to do, so they write an add-on script to do it, then make it public.

For example, back in the first post I wrote about one I use, which replaces the google toolbar that many may have installed, and instead places things like pagerank, alexa ranks, etc, down in the bottom right of the browser, thus not taking up any actual readable screen space and instead incorporating aspects into the already present brower frame, using browser real estate as such more effectively if you like, so you don't have toolbars taking up your reading space.

Evie, that would be because your likely using 800 x 600 resolution, being an older resolution. Your buttons at the top are likely fallen too two rows. The design is built for higher resolutions, being not many use 800 x 600 resolution anymore.

Thanks Anthony, that was why I guess, because when I switched to 1024 x 768 briefly the links all worked again. Unfortunately anything above 800 x 600 is really hard on my eyes, I have pretty bad eyesight generally. Hope the new computer I'm getting next week still has the 800 x 600 resolution option. Otherwise I'm going to need a magnifying glass. :p

HOLY I just have to add... all the problems I was having in the chatroom, freezing constantly and getting booted out, etc... all GONE!!! It must have been all IE. Woo I'm really glad I tried Firefox!

Its the behind the scenes of firefox that make it so good, not just whats up front. Firefox was the first standards compliant web browser, which means instead of IE allowing basic coding faults to go through, or to just accept things as good enough, Firefox does not. Everything you see here, is designed by me for firefox, not for IE, which means this forum is designed to a higher standard, including all its attached areas. IE sucks, creates far too many issues for browsing, and are only trying to catchup to what firefox started. IE suck... the only reason it is more popular, is because it comes standard with Windows operating system. Firefox has around a 12% market share six months ago, they now have around a 25% market share of browser market... as you can see, their browser will eventually rule IE out of the game, even though it does come with the computer OS, people will by a new computer, download firefox, then start surfing the web.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back