• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

News Fear Of Ebola Spreading

• Thread starter Deleted member 10686
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
How concerned do u think I need to be about catching it if I live a state away - considering people travel? Thanks for your input lucycat

According to the CDC website (which I just checked). They have an updated, posted this AM that says a "health care worker who had contact with the index patient".

That's pretty general. Could even be an EMT who was with him in the ambulance, right? Even if it's a nurse, like @Lucycat said, then mistakes were made. And mistakes can certainly happen.

I'd recommend, if you haven't, reading, on a reliable site like the CDC, how and where Ebola is spread and learn as much as you can. From RELIABLE sources. Knowledge is power.

Unfortunately, mistakes DO happen and the world only has so many protective suits and bio secure hospital facilities. Where I would expect problems to show up is if we end up having to deal with more than just a few cases.

. Where I would expect problems to show up is if we end up having to deal with more than just a few cases.
That's my fear is there becoming more than a few cases: it becoming an outbreak.

Even so, I seriously doubt we'd see anything remotely like what's happened in Africa. As I understand it, that got started because, in the beginning, no one knew what they were dealing with. By the time they recognized it as Ebola, it had spread extensively. Then, the average person dealing with patients (both family and professional) either didn't understand how it was spread or didn't have the capacity to effectively KEEP it from spreading. THEN, the funeral practices of the region include family members handling the body. The body is pretty contagious. None of that is going to happen here. Seriously. I think there's a reasonable chance that the government is minimizing things, because that's their idea of the "right" thing to do, but I can't picture it getting wildly out of hand.

Sounds like, as a general rule, the sicker the person the more infective they are. I wouldn't pick up hitchhikers who are bleeding from any orifices and I wouldn't handle any dead bodies who were doing that either.

@Floater, how much exposure do you have to people who might be potentially infected? Do you work in health care? EMT? It really sounds like this is spread a lot like AIDS is spread. It's very serious if you get it, but it's not THAT easy to get. I saw a good article on the recently, I'll try to find it.

I pretty amazed that so many hospitals have built containment wards. It begs the question, why? Have they feared all along that a biohazard could hit the country, as in biological warfare? Now this Ebola virus. I don't like how the victims are being treated in various locales.
And I don't think the airport security should be on our soil. They should be cleared before boarding the plane. Containment is number one priority. Universal precautions consider that all patients are sick until proven otherwise. I do believe there will be more victims.

http://

And this is now the second nurse with ebola.

To answer your question whether or not the US can contain it; the answer is yes the US can, if it is prepared to isolate the infected, and the caregivers.
Abola is spread by body contact with bodily fluids, and isolating any and all that come into ebola infected body fluids is essential to containing the spread of the disease.
We need to have designated ebola treatment facilities, and those facilites must be isolated from contact, as much as possible, with the general public until the disease has burned itself out.
It needs to be treated very much like the tb sanitoriums of the past.

Do u really think the US medical system and government is ready?
The U.S will be fine. You have some of the best people there and they are competent and capable.

Stop watching the media which operates on creating fear and drama to make money. While you watch in fear they are making money from advertisers who are providing the advertisements.

If you must then read the science and follow what the true professionals are discussing.

Also reflect on that if multinational companies go in and strip other countries of their resources it creates imbalances in the natural ecosystems and thus these problems. If companies make billions out of third world countries then they have a responsibility to put something substantial in to those countries. Capitalism is not good for any of us when it creates such situations.

It is much cheaper to make sure that other countries have effective medical resources - that stops the transmissions of many problems. It will prevent pandemics in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back