• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Feel drained

Status
Not open for further replies.
O

Ofe

Hi everyone,

I feel drained from the support I'm giving right now. I used to be able to handle it but I'm just having a minor breakdown. Feeling very lonely.

Any tips on how to pick myself up again?

Well, tonight I'm going to the show with a couple of my girlfriends. And maybe grab a couple of cocktails afterwards. It been pretty rough around here lately too. I go out with them usually every other weekend. We don't talk about anything important. We can just be stupid, silly school girls. (we've been friends for 44 years. Love them to bits!

This is also when I do my own self care. Haircut. Nails. Shopping. Reading. Walking. Talking with family members, they always make me laugh. And sometimes I just sit in silence and regroup.

If he's in a bad place and we're home together... Read. Laundry. Watch movies. Converse when he wants to. Cook. Clean. Play board games. Yahtzee....

You feel lonely but you're not alone. It does get very stressful sometimes doesn't it? Especially when our support isn't noticed.

When it's bad I think of all the great things we do and the wonderful things he does for me.

These things usually get me through the rough patches. Good luck. They're lucky to have you!

You're allowed to feel drained, frustrated, "over it", etc. Sometimes you feel guilty about these feelings and it makes you feel even more drained. Allow yourself some slack. Being a caretaker is draining.

Can you get out of the house for a little while? Go to a movie by yourself? Sometimes you just need some peace and quiet.

Yoga really helps me, and going to brunch with friends. I also really enjoy listening to some good music, having a bath or watching my fave tv programmes. I am planning to go get a massage and go to a spa. I think that would really help. Again like others say self care.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back