• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Feel like i have nowhere to turn to

Status
Not open for further replies.

hmarty

New Here
18 years old, struggling through college. Diagnosed with ptsd after an abusive relationship and feel like I have no one left to turn to for help. My friends are few and far, most done have much to offer other than a “sorry to hear that”, others I don’t feel close enough with to share my issues. Dad isn’t in the picture, mom is too focused on my sister being pregnant to ever ask about me anymore. My therapist makes me feel like I’m a waste of her time, she brushes off my problems and asks why I even need therapy anymore. My abusive ex moved away for a few months and I just got word that he’s moving back this week. I’m barely getting by in school, my whole family is revolving around my sister and what she needs, and I can’t seem to hold a job, and I know it’s goinf to get worse with my ex back. Court won’t renew my restraining order and I don’t have the funds to move away myself. Life just seems so pointless. Where do I turn to now?

You look for therapy in places that you didn’t think about. At your college, you ask if there are councilors. Church, synagogues. You ask at local mental health centers to see if they have a sliding scale fee.

You bang on doors till someone hears you, and you can always read here and ask for guidance.

Welcome.
We aren't Therapists by any means, but collectively we have a lot of experiences and share how we got thru them. Sometimes we are stuck and asking for help, just like you are.
Glad you are here.
And @She Cat had great suggestions. There is help out there. Sometimes we have to work to find them.
Let us know how you are doing.

Good stuff already shared. I'm so sorry it feels like it's all crashing down around you. Check for a local sexual and domestic abuse shelter in your area, too.

Our local one offers free counseling based solely on your abusive experiences, for as long as you feel you need it, as well as a weekly support group option.

Get even more serious about self-care now more than ever before. Build your energies back up as healthily as possible. Don't forget to breathe on purpose, deeply and often. Stay safe and do what it takes to protect yourself.

Wishing you well, and I welcome you to the community.

Turn to your inner child. Turn inwards. Talk to that kid, let it come to you, and let yourself trust that connection of yours. It's a painful procedure, but it’s ok. Take one step at a time.

I know it’s hard for you to believe it right now, but you are not alone. You have each other.

I was about to say.

If you have none outward resources, if you have any inward. Nurturing anything that's gotten you through life, to this point. Rekindling it if it's been long tossed and forgotten. &/or found something new, that will, that you can keep.

Thank you all so much for your support! I didn’t expect so much support here, I’m glad to have found it. I got recommendations for a new therapist specializing in ptsd and plan to see her soon. I’m also back on my medications and trying to eat healthy and exercise more. It takes a lot of effort, but I’m alreasu feeling much better. I’m looking forward knowing I can only go up from here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back