1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Feeling Disconnected

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by gallegos joe, Jul 9, 2009.

1. gallegos joe

gallegos joe New Member

Hello all! I am really having a problem and having no solutions because I don't know what the problem is. I'm feeling very disconnected and spinning round and round in trying to figure out what I am going round and round about. Make sense? I am feeling really ****ed up now and am looking for answers. I am an Iraq veteran and am trying to re-ground myself. It feels like my whole world has come crashing down and am spiraling out of control holding it all in and am afraid that it's going to explode at any given moment. I've felt like this before and am in group but it's only working to a certain extent. Any advice?

I am having a lot of trouble being connected with my surroundings. I feel numb and confused as to what to do with trying to move forward and not be stuck spinning in thoughts over and over. And the thing of it is, I don't know what I'm going round and round about. I know there is no reason for me to feel this way, but I do. Can anyone help?
  2. UConnclar

UConnclar New Member

Hi Joe,

I too, have been feeling exactly the same way as you described.

One thing that really helped me is to try not to obsess over it so hard. The harder I worried about everything, the less sense all of it made.

I started writing and putting things into some sort of timeline and then the picture came more into focus.

Hang in there and try to let yourself off the hook..... it will all become clear at the right time.

-Meagan
  3. amethist

amethist The Mystic Duck Staff Member Premium Member

Hi gallegos joe.

Welcome to the forum.

Try not to try find answers for everything, it can make you feel worse as there maybe is no answer to be found for some of the way you feel.

If you feel good for no reason enjoy it not question it. Same goes for feelling rough for no reason, try to roll with it until it passes.

My husband is starting to think this way and it is helping slowly.

Best wishes

Amethist
  4. kers

kers VIP Member

Welcome to the forum. I know that creepy disconnected feeling, and it can be so frustrating. Sometimes, for me, doing something physical can help me center myself and feel less spinny. Walking, running, and weightlifting have all helped me at various times.
  5. shiraz

shiraz VIP Member

Hi Gallegos Joe,

Welcome to the forum, you will find a very warm and supportive community here.

When I first joined, I couldn't figure out much of what I was experiencing, but now I have labels for what is happening and skills to deal with them ... I am doing much better.

Are you disconnecting or dissociating?

Feeling disconnected and numb is very common to PTSD and in my experience can only improve if you are in on-on-one therapy. This is the place to start offloading your emotions so that you don't feel that you are about to burst. It is only with feeling that the disconnect disappears. You can also start doing things which you enjoy .. you probably don't feel like it ... but do them anyway ... I do a bit of art, walk in the park, plant herbs, feed ducks, these things help me keep grounded and help to keep my emotions open.

Watching TV and spending too much online time will also add to the disconnect.

The spiralling spinning thoughts tend to slow down when I get nice and quiet and stop filling my head with too many outside inputs and allow myself to start feeling. It took a long time to start feeling. You have to feel safe and supported to feel ...

For a long time, I thought I was just disconnecting, that was until I found out about dissociation - I feeling of unrealness where everything seems disjointed and I feel seperated from reality (get a good definition for this it is more involved) It is just a coping mechanism, one of the little tricks our brains play so that we don't go mad. I dissociate quite a bit and it is very scary and difficult to deal with. Breathing exercises and grounding work helps a lot. You can do a search on these as there is much written about them.

I carry a crystal in my pocket which I can hold onto and I start telling myself what is happening around me ... i.e.

there is a lady carrying her shopping, looks like she is tired, there is a breeze blowing and the leaves look pretty as they flitter in the sunlight ... that taxi is driving too fast, someone could get hurt ....

Anything to get my attention away from myself and onto what is happening around me. Other things which help are to take off my shoes and walk on the grass, cold water/hot water showers .... clench crushed ice (painful but works!).

I do hope you get the answers you need ... educating yourself is the first step

BTW Have you had a PTSD diagnoses at any point?

Take care,
    Shiraz