• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Assault Feeling Down After Seriously Being Stabbed...

Status
Not open for further replies.

dustinM

New Here
Hello, my names Dustin. Recently I was stabbed in the back, causing my lung to puncture, and collapse. This was no doubt physically traumatic, but im finding after ive been released from the hospital, the mental trauma is actually much worse than the physical aspect of my experience. I feel like talking about it, but I cant really talk about it with anyone I know because they dont seem to understand what I went through and are unable to offer solace.. so I turned to a forum. Hopefully I can find someone else on here that has been stabbed and can maybe share there experience with me? Maybe tell me if they experienced depression even after recovery?

hi dustin, welcome you will find a lot of support here. there's a lot of great people with a wealth of knowledge. take care

Hi Dustin,

I never dealt with that but there are others here who have. You're very brave for reaching out and I'm sending you thoughts of healing, comfort, and peace.

Welcome DustinM, I'm sure you will find someone to relate to, but I can assure you, that depression is one of the things that go along with PTSD. Being here already means that you're on the road to a better tomorrow. THere is always someone online.

Attacked? yes. Stabbed? no.
If you are planning revenge, forget about it. I know thats hard, I still wish hardship on my attackers, but try very hard not to think about how I would like to cause it.
Somewhere on here you will find the quote" Revenge is the poison I drink in hopes of hurting my enemies".

Hi Dustin,

You mention that the stabbing was recent. While the depression and other feelings are very real, the good news is that it's possible your trauma reaction could be very effectively treated early on. It may be that you haven't developed full fledged PTSD yet and that therapy now could help you come to terms with the emotional effects of the trauma before they become deep seated. If you haven't done so, I would encourage you to find a therapist experienced with treating trauma reactions as soon as you can. The longer you try to deal with this on your own, the worse it can get. Long term PTSD is a bitch to be avoided at all costs.

HI Dustin,

The depression you are going through is normal to experience after going through such a traumatic event. I agree with Patrick, start therapy right away and deal with this asap! One of the mistakes I made in dealing with my trauma was denial. I thought I could make it on my own because it seemed no one understood, hell, I didn't understand. The earlier we learn the skills that work and help us live with PTSD the better.

I wasn't stabbed but had my shoulder broken and permanently deformed. I was chased by a man with a shotgun and stalked as well as other things. I was reborn.... a whole new me with PTSD.

Don't wait to get help..... Wonderful you are on the forum. Welcome.

Peace

I Wow. Thank you all very much... Knowing theres complete strangers hoping for me to get better is amazing. I'm glad I found this forum. What you said Patrick makes a lot of sense, a Jline... and no I don't plan on getting revenge, never even thought about it.. I will try to deal with this on my own, but will consider seeing a therapist if it continues for much longer. Thank you all for your comments, your concern is appreciated. I feel very welcomed.

Hi Dustin!

I'm so glad you found us!
I'm glad you're alive, but I'm so sorry you went through this horrible trauma.

PTSD tends to develop most often when the trauma is inflicted by another human being... it tends to shatter our world and sense of safety.

Patrick is right, the sooner you can get this treated and "out of your system", the better you have a chance for not just your lung to re-inflate and heal, but for you: body, mind and spirit to do the same.
(Please try not to delay, the longer you wait, the longer the trauma re-wiring of your brain and body continues.)

A trauma therapist is best. A good resource is a victims assistance center. Often these centers are funded by grants and you can receive free counseling. A local hotline or your doctor might also be able to recommend a wonderful trauma therapist.

We're here with you; and I hope you will feel very safe, cared about, welcomed, understood and supported among the wonderful members here.
With concern and caring,
Deer

Hi Justin, I do not know the exact circumstances of your incident, but I have a feeling it boils down to powerlessness. I have had a traffic accident, and that is what I feel.

It takes time, my friend. It will get better. I am have improved markedly, but am still far from recovery.

Has this individual been charged? Sometimes, I do admit however that such an outcome is rare, the justice system can in fact mete out justice. Attempted murder is a very serious crime, and this attempted murderer belongs behind bars.

I wish you a speedy recovery.

Thanks deer in headlights.. wanttogetbetter. And I would charge the individual but believe it or not it was my brother... And no matter what he did to me I don't want him to go to jail for attempted murder (14 years they said)
But a few more days have passed since that event and I must say i'm feeling better and better everyday, so I feel like i'm going to make a full recovery by myself. I don't believe I experienced PTSD as severely as many other people on this forum which much greater problems, but still thank you all for your kindness.

Well done dustinM, of course it is possible to go through what you have without developing full blown Ptsd so of course on behalf of many here I sincerely hope you manage to avoid it.

I think the big thing is how you manage to balance the whole thing up in your own mind and it sounds like you are doing a good job about it all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back