• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Feeling Grief On Waking All Of A Sudden And Increase In Bad Days

Status
Not open for further replies.

aloevera

New Here
Hi everyone,

I am a new member but have been reading this forum for awhile now. It has helped me to feel a less alone so thank you in advance. I decided to join up because I've been feeling increasingly isolated recently and having a lot of bad days.

My sleep patterns are all over the place and I move between not being able to get to sleep because I'm so anxious and falling asleep almost immediately, napping a lot, and not being able to get up in the morning. On nights where I fall asleep straight away my body feels very heavy in the morning and full of grief and it wants to keep sleeping. This generally will lead to a very bad day and everything is emotionally off, I dissociate more easily, am more stressed by things and feel like I can't connect with people. Recently I've been having a lot of days like this. I do have a lot of nightmares but never remember having any on mornings when I wake up like this, I dissociated during my trauma and have consistently since then often not having much memory. It makes me wonder whether I am reliving the trauma on those nights when I am relaxed enough to fall asleep and thats why I am so exhausted in the morning and so affected for the next little while.

Wondering if anyone else wakes up exhausted after sleeping a lot, and feeling extreme grief or anxiety for no apparent reason and if so if there is anything that you do that helps to reduce the impact on your day.

Hi everyone,

I am a new member but have been reading this forum for awhile now. It has helped me to...
So your having trouble with your sleep patterns. Unfortunately your not alone. Many survivors of ptsd struggle with sleep patterns but rest assured it will get better. Firstly this journey I am on has caused me to re think many things in my life. Do not try to travel this journey alone, I tried it, and contrary to general beliefs that one is weak by asking for help you are brave and incredibly strong when you do reach out. Seek out a therapist who specializes in your situation . Child abuse, traumatic life, or military/first responder trauma all require quality therapists. When it comes to sleep distruptions I found a simple blood pressure medication called "prazosin" that has a remarkable side affect which suppresses nightmares. This medication has given me the ability to get through the night giving me the strength to face another day.
Remember to take one day at a time there will be good days and setbacks, try to set small goals make little changes each day and don't be ashamed of your ptsd. If you broke your leg would you be ashamed, if you got shot saving the life of a child would you be ashamed? PTSD is an injury to your brain and like any other injury to your body you must medicate rest allow it to heal and finally therapy to rehabilitate to complete your recovery. You will recover, there is light and you will find it.
Shawn

Wondering if anyone else wakes up exhausted after sleeping a lot, and feeling extreme grief or anxiety for no apparent reason and if so if there is anything that you do that helps to reduce the impact on your day.

Yes, and I suggest you read older posts in 'Sleep and Nightmares'. There are lots of ideas. It will take experimentation on your part to find what works for you.

I go through the same thing and have been discussing going through a therapy technique called EMDR to analyze my nightmares and the dissaciation. Meditation sometimes helps dussaction and grief the next day. I've also been prescribed clonazapam which is a medication for panic disorders. I only take 1 a half hour before bedtime. It helps me to fall asleep early and to not have nightmares. I still get up sometimes throughput the night on bad days but at least the nightmares are better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back