• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Fictional Characters With Ptsd - Movies/film, Tv And Literature.

Status
Not open for further replies.
All three main characters (Charlie, Sam and Patrick) in The Perks of Being a Wall Flower. I'm not as sure about Patrick, but definitely Charlie (very clear) and Sam (implied).

I'd say that King David who wrote most of the Psalms in the Bible showed signs of mental distress, possibly PTSD, definitely Bipolar. He was a soldier who led many battles, was chased by the king and his troops (who was convinced that David was out to kill him, so he figured he'd get David before David got him... but David was not after him!). And yet, God is said to have believed that David was a "man after His own heart".

David is not really a fictional character, I do believe the Bible is truth, but I named him as a figure from literature, which I consider the Bible to be.

Last edited:
Hashi's post about WWI poets reminded me of Virginia Woolf's Mrs Dalloway. The Title character goes through some struggles of her own while Septimus, a WWI vet, goes through his own PTSD and deals with a couple doctors that were not fit to be his physician. Many speculate that this work reflected how Woolf was dealing with her own PTSD she experienced as a result of being in Britain in WWI.

Brian Lackey and possibly Neil McCormick in Mysterious Skin. Be careful watching this as it is potentially very triggering. Charlie in The Perks Of Being A Wallflower. I watched these two fairly recently so they are fresh in my mind.

Gollum/Smiegal in the Lord Of The Rings.

I watched one of the Wycliffe series last night and he was hospitalised for PTSD after an attempt on his life. Henry Barthes in Detachment is an excellent example. I loved this film but it is also potentially triggering.

Spencer Reid in Criminal Minds shows signs at one point. Especially after he is held hostage and drugged as well as made dependent.

• Hamitch and Katniss (and several others) in the Hunger Games are haunted by their experiences.
  • Criminal Minds - Season 2, Episode 17 is all about a severely triggered and dissociated veteran, through out the seasons' many of the main characters show some signs of Acute Stress Disorder - however it's always for feared that it could be PTSD, usually it doesn't stick around for more than a few episodes or the remainder of the season.
  • Both of the Winchester Boys in Supernatural show signs of being deeply affected by their traumatic experiences, whilst I didn't find much of it relatable, there was something about Sam's hallucinations (for some reason one in particular) and hypervigilant responses when he got his memory back from his time in hell, I found resonated with me quite a bit - especially when he was trying to hide it from everyone so they wouldn't worry about him and trying to cope on his own.
  • I think that the parents of the princesses in Frozen were abusive by trying to tell Elsa that she should fear herself and that she mustn't have feelings or everyone would hate and fear her, though this one's a bit more jokey, when I was watching all I could think was - wow, they really messed that up for her! ;)

Bree from Desperate Housewives [is the only one I can think of right now], which becomes clear towards the end of the series/later on. I liked her character development, story lines and back story for her character a lot.

Oh, also, the most obvious one in Desperate Housewives is Zack actually. I recommend watching it, I don't want to spoil it :D I had to skip some posts in case I spoiled any series for myself :facepalm:.

Good and interesting thread @Kas_Can_Fly .

[Edit: Mulder from the X files, anyone think that fits? He sure has obsessive tendencies, either way...]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back