• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Fictional Characters With Ptsd - Movies/film, Tv And Literature.

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the British soap Coronation Street there is a character called Gary Windass. He was diagnosed with PTSD. Atlough he doesn't seem to show any symptoms anymore!?

Harry Potter from the books (more than the films).

Pretty much everyone else in Harry Potter too; boarding schools both collect and make their own traumatized individuals (I'll count boarding schools in with cults, hostage situations and prisons - as "total institutions")

Hagrid - knows failure, narcissitic abuse, and parental abandonment, and he keeps trying to repeat his traumas to make it come out right
Snape - un-requited love with Harry's mum and bullied to hell by Harry's dad and his buddies, he's frozen all of his feelings and built impenetrable walls in his mind.
Riddle/voldemort - an abandoned little child who has found a narcissistic defence - as have all in slytherin
Neville - orphaned and then traumatized further by his grandmother
Dumbledore's goat shagging brother - never got over the loss of his deeply traumatized sister, or blaming dumbledore who was distracting himself with the grandiose dreams he was coming up with, with his boyfriend, when he should have been looking after his sister.
Hermione - unsuccessfully seeking attention by being little miss clever shite
Luna - living in her own little dissociative dreamworld
The enslaved house elves - dutifully serving their abusers

Even the hogwarts house system screams out the four Fs of trauma responses:
Slytherin: narcissistic fight type response
Hufflepuff: workaholoic flight type response
Ravenclaw: a hystrionic fawn and freeze / dissociative response (weren't some of the Ravenclaw ghosts showing some BPD traits? and Ravenclaw girls fawning after Slytherin boys?)
Griffindor: a dissociative freeze-fight response of not recognizing danger and even going looking for it.

Atlough he doesn't seem to show any symptoms anymore!?
This is my pet peeve, characters who have "PTSD" for an episode or small story arch and then it magically (and conveniently) disappears. This winds me up especially because then in real life people think PTSD is curable and it's just a matter of getting over it. Also I hate when characters are so quick to try and put the PTSD label on someone because they're naturally shaken up after a traumatic event - it reminds me of fad diagnosing and fashionable mental illnesses/label - I'm sure many people see things like they are shown on TV and want to accumulate serious disorder labels as some kind of social one-upmanship and fashion statement.

Kas, you've just reminded me of the pits of British TV soap, and their completely tasteless re-enactment of Lockerbie (in order to write out half of their characters and reduce their payroll costs) ; Emmerdale.
I think that's the last time I watched a whole episode of the crap, and that must be twenty something years ago.

Hank from Grimm, after he is scared by Monroe in the woods.
Batman in the new film series- flashes back to his parents death and the bats in the cave.
Mary Lennox from The Secret Garden, neglected by her parents, affected by their death and being made to move to a different country, socially unable to function, with no access to her feelings. For that matter Her cousin Colin isn't exactly stable.
Matilda, I've always wondered about- with all that neglect, she retreats into a safe world of books. And the way she treats adults is not normal.
My favourite book as a teenager was Hexwood by Diana Wynne Jones. There's a character in it called Mordion who has had a horrific childhood, followed by a life of slavery. He definitely has PTSD- no access to childhood memories, running from anything that could bring them up, going into survival mode when triggered, seeming to have almost a split personality, I could go on. Wonder why I liked the book so much?
I ended up seeing that episode of Castle on Christmas Day when I was trying to snap out of a flashback...whoops.

Hiro in Big Hero 6. Major grief trauma and it is SUCH a special film. Showing how the true resolution is having real support and acceptance so you can understand and love yourself

Lily Owens from the secret life of bees, along with May Boatwright (played by Sophie Okonedo in the film).

Sorry if someone's mentioned this already, I haven't yet read the whole thread. I just finished reading a book called Little Bee by Chris Cleave. It's fiction, but only sort of. Set in Nigeria and England, it's a dramatic page turner about the life of a teenage refugee girl, what she is running from, the way she is treated in the country where she seeks asylum, and how the lives of her friends are touched by her tragedy. The term PTSD is never used, but the symptoms are everywhere. Be forewarned, it does not end happily.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back