1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

Finally Started Counseling

Discussion in 'Supporter Discussion' started by Katie~, Oct 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Katie~

Katie~ New Member

Hi everyone. for those of you who don't remember my post from about a month ago, my boyfriend Mark is a Marine and served in Iraq. For a long time, he wouldn't talk about his issues, and refused to seek help from a professional. A lot has happened since then, he is now seeing a therapist who specializes in ptsd, and is going to sessions twice a week:smile:.

A week ago, I got a call from his therapist and we had a discussion about me attending a session with Mark this wednesday. I'm slightly apprehensive about what this is going to be like, and what we will discuss when I go. Maybe those of you who have had a similar experience can tell me what to expect?

I'm relieved that he finally took the first step towards treatment, and lately, he has been clueing me in to how he feels more often. I'm a bit more familiar with his cycle, and how he feels throughout the day, which is a huge help to both of us. I know that things won't get better right away, and that therapy can sometimes make people feel worse before they start to get better, as they are reminded more and more of their trauma. Still, I'm much more hopeful now than I have been in the past few months.

2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. Jen

Jen Well-Known Member

Hi Katie good to see he is getting help. I found out one of the reasons my hubbys therapist wanted me there was because hubby wasnt being open enough with him as far as what meds he was taking and how he was staying in bed all day. I told the doc all this even with hubby there there was no holding back Im afraid. They cant be treated if everything doesnt come out.
    And it will make you feel better to knowing how he is being treated.
    Jen

4. anthony

anthony Renovation Aficionado Founder

Katie, as Jen said, it is generally because the sufferer will not disclose the entire picture, and it comes across very one sided. Therapists know it well and are used to it, hence why they call in the spouse for one or two sessions along the way to get the sufferer back on the road to mutual blame, consideration and others true feelings. We the sufferers very rarely will divulge much to a new therapist until we trust them, so its easier for them to just get the spouse in also and get all the information out fast so they know which direction to travel.

So many sufferers here time and time again have done the same, and with a little coersion, they begin printing out parts of discussions I have with them, or they document within diaries and give to their therapist. They have never told their therapist these vital points, hence their therapist is going in one direction, when really with the information they don't know, they would be moving in another that is more beneficial to the sufferer. Trust me when I say, you want to attend and allow the facts to come out, because your therapist can then help your partner more accurately and get the ball rolling faster once all the bullshit is removed from the space.

5. permban0008

permban0008 Policy Enforcement Banned

Hi Katie,

Good to hear that your bf is getting some help.....first step in the right direction. Yep, most of us feel apprehensive about attending treatment with them but in my opinion it is in both your best interests. Like Anthony said, it cuts the bs because if you are honest you can tell the counsellor exactly how it is. Be kind but don't hold back. The therapist needs the reality IOT to treat your bf correctly. I am pleased for you. Keep posting and let us know how things are going for both of you.

6. Andrea42

Andrea42 Active Member

Hi Katie,
    how are things going? i have gone once to a counseling session with my hubby.... and he still goes regularly... what did you think of it? how did it go? let us know your experience :)