• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Finally Told My Boss...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Melp283

Confident
Had my yearly evaluation yesterday. It went very well, happy to say. During the evaluation I mentioned that I've been trying really hard to get my times down, and that my medication and therapy was helping with that.
My boss is a very nice guy with many years of experience so this didn't seem to phase him. His response was "I'm proud of you. Not everyone is strong enough to get help when they need it."
That was that. It was probably just me, but I started feeling paranoid afterwards. Did he think that I was crazy now?
So...

I text him today:

"I'm sure this is TMI but I wanted you to understand.
I go to therapy for PTSD related to sexual assault. I was having difficulty working with men and counseling male customers. That is what I'm fixing.
You don't have to respond, I just thought you needed to know.
Plus, it's good practice for me."

His response:

"Good for you, I am proud to say you are a friend."

So I guess that's a good thing...
I feel better with him knowing, but also a little paranoid about it.

@Melp283
You aren't alone.
YOu did a great job.
In my evaluation a few months ago, my boss said that I breathe funny and it made him uneasy.
*rolls eyes*
He also mentioned that he knew that I had been seeing a Dr (I had told him as much) and pushed to find out what it was that I was seeing a Dr about.
Dodge and weave in desiderata's fashion.

I'm proud of you. It's hard to tell folks

I would not have done the same. But that's me.

That had to take some serious guts to do that, so for that good on you. Sounded like you have a good boss as well. I hope it works out well.

While I don't think it's inherently a good idea to disclose ptsd to ones employer. In the long run, it is probably a good thing overall. The more people see and work with people who suffer from this. See that we are not going to turn up at the office with a machine gun. The better it will be, the easier it will be for some to rejoin the workforce.

Maybe I am being a little idealistic, but. Good job, and good luck.

Disclosing in the workplace is always potentially risky, I think, but you made a judgement call based on what you know about your boss, your relationship with him, what you felt comfortable with and what you thought would work for you. I absolutely understand your panic afterwards and think your follow up text to him was spot on. And it sounds like he's a star - I don't think you could have asked for a better response from him. Well done for having the courage to share this information with him and I'm so pleased you got such a positive reaction from him :)

There is the cautious life and then there's the live hardly lived. They look about the same most of the time to the observer.

What you did took courage. You're trying to live life and connect with people, even though one of them hurt you. That's a good thing that will probably aid your recovery. You're moving forward with care. Well done!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back