• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

First Impressions

• Thread starter Deleted member 19804
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 19804

What are the first impressions people usually have of you? What do you think of them?

I have recently been confronted with the fact that many people think I'm very sweet, very shy and very vulnerable when they meet me. This may very well be true in some situations (like when I'm triggered or in an unfamiliar situation), but I don't believe that is who I really am inside. I think it's interesting and one can learn a lot from what impression other have of you, whether they're correct or not.

So I'm curious about your experiences :)

I was actually having this discussion with my T just this week. My T said if she were to meet me without knowing me she would describe me as intelligent, caring and good looking:bag:! I think it depends on where I am. I think at most people get the impression that I'm quiet and a bit of a loner, while at work I present more as confident and outgoing. I think there's bits of truth in all of it, but it's not that easy to sum me up.

There something called 1st Impression Fallacy... Where neurologically/psychologically whatever our first impressions are of someone? They usually tend to stick, even against a whole lot of evidence to the contrary. Whether it's a good first impression, or bad. It's a fun thing to take advantage of :D, and a useful thing to be aware of. It's a difficult thing to change someone's first impression of you.

I've been told I'm a lot of different things, from a lot of different people.

The one I tend to get the most is "You're always so happy." Which -to be fair- cracks me up, because I get told this even when I'm outright suicidal. But joïe de vivre? High spirits? :sneaky: Cha. I can see that. No point in making hard things harder.

I think it depends on how I'm feeling at that moment, which mask (so to speak ) I'm wearing. I've been told I'm very outgoing, although I don't think it. I've been told I am an individual who has a very strong presence, in a good way. I've been told, people weren't sure what to think of me but when they got to know me I was the nicest person they ever met! Then there's the me I THINK I AM, shy, some what introverted, who will open up and blossom when you give me time.

I'm told by many people through out the years that they think I'm a confident, got it together, independent woman that doesn't care what people think. Well that's at least the positive spin on it from the people who like me. And the people that don't like me, no skin off my teeth.

It's interesting how we can feel so different from how others see us. I definitely have my insecurities and I often feel like my life is falling apart. But they are right about the independent streak. But there is a small part that care what people think of me. Not enough for me to try to people please but enough that I shower. ;)

I've always been told I come across as angry or dick. Haha I'm usually very nervous in these situations.
It also seems people cling to me because I come across as a bit of an arse like they need my approval? It's feakin weird I'm just like I don't know! leave me alone! go away! I'm just trying to get through this experience, and still they're trying to please me? It's weird. So now I just be very quiet blend in.

I've always been told I'm a nice person when you get to know me. That's just another polite way of saying comes across as an arse hole. Haha

I don't really know what people think of me. Certainly I do not ask! To a certain extent, I care. I surely do not want to hurt anyone or get them to do something they do not want to do. I do not own a car, so I depend completely upon others to take me places in theirs. I try to ask a lot of different folks, so that I am not a burden to any one person or family.

I like to share my opinions sometimes, I love eating out with friends or better yet, being invited to their place for a coffee or a meal.

I am somewhat outgoing, for instance, I sing in the church choir. I also am a good listener.

I usually don't concern myself with it, unless I'm specifically going for some impression & depending on what impression I make for some goal vital to me/others.

What I try to make as an impression, regardless of company & my intents with it, is politeness. I hate being rude, unless it's useful, but not as a preference. I tend to succeed with that one, what people can't agree about is the reason for it. It's amusing to watch the guesses.

I'm apparently intimidating and "scary"... and I don't ever intend to be. I think it's because I do tend to take every stranger I may come across with caution. I don't speak, but I'm an observer until I pick up a general "feel" for the person I'm speaking with. I'm also super hard to read and don't give away too much unless you are known to me. My family nickname me "Robot" because I can get into that state where it's like I'm emotionally numb and just a robot living out the day. I'm quite different once people get to know me and I become comfortable.

I realize that I honestly do not know what others think about me. I know that some people like me and some people do not like me and there is nothing I can do about that because it is out of my control.

I know that the people who like me are treasures to me and I value them highly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back