• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Flashback Accompanied By Physical Pain

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShodokanJenn

MyPTSD Pro
So there are a number of flashbacks I have that result in intense physical pain. Pain that doesn't stop when the flashback stops. Pain that doesn't respond to pain killers or relaxation techniques or meditation or a hot bath or ice packs. It's exhausting and frustrating and because of the locations of the pain, I am too embarrassed to tell anyone about it. Does anyone have any ideas that I could try to alleviate these symptoms? Or even just to hear that others battle similar things, might help. I feel really isolated and alone in this.

I don't have incredibly painful aches...
but...kind of like I got punched in the cervix the day before.
Um, yeah. Sore and achy.

I de-repressed a memory of being shoved into a bannister, and my head was tender on that side.

You ARE NOT alone in this, at all. Keep in mind, you and i have very simiular pasts.

I have physical pain bad 'down there' A LOT w/ a flashback. It was the most common 'punishment' so its where i feel it the most.

I also do things to myself in my sleep to hurt myself there too.

I havent found anything yet (except huffing which ISNT good) to stop the flashbacks or the pain. It usually eases on its own.

Holding ice, snapping a rubber band etc; normal 'grounding' ways dont help but other ground stuff might. I found a great grounding thread from 2007 w/ great ideas: (scroll a bit, one of the posters posted a ton of ideas in seperate posts)

https://www.myptsd.com/threads/breathing-and-grounding.3637/

I know im not much help but just wanted you to know you arent alone with this! :hug:

Also, dont be embarred to tell your therapist; ive told mine everything including the horribly embarrasing and maybe they can help some?

Last edited:
You are not alone in this for sure. I also have had pains/aches that remain, and in places that are not always logical. To alleviate the symptoms you could go and try to feel into this pain, what is it telling you, is there a movement you could make to reduce the pain, etc. I do somatic experiencing and in this therapy we only work with the body, and in the end the body always gives you the answer, as long as you listen, observe.

If you do therapy, you could speak about it with your therapist. Maybe they have alternatives.

I do somatic experiencing and in this therapy we only work with the body, and in the end the body always gives you the answer, as long as you listen, observe.

I keep hearing about somatic therapy and how good it is. Is that something i could try on my own or is it more of like a facilitated thing?

I also would stop pain there that i didnt cause myself so i think thats an awesome idea!

For sure. My memories of pain are never as intense as the real pain was, by it's been bad enough that when living with docs? They've hit me with morphine while I sleep, because I'm thrashing, arched, & "posturing" with it in my nightmares. Flashbacks during my wakin hours I usually have better control over my affect. But, yeah. Some of them? Hurt like f*ck.

One thing that tends to bring on the pain nightmares, or the pain flashbacks? When I'm experiencing low levels of pain in the area anyways. Like if I have a cavity? I might not even be aware of it, yet... But I start flashing more to getting my mouth worked on. Or if I've been working the heavy bag a little too much, I may start having fingers snapped ones. Period cramps? Ditto. Or they can simply come on out of the blue, or triggered off something else. But probably at least half the time there's pre existing pain in the present to build off of.

Not sure if this transfers well to others, but it helps me: push against a wall with my legs. Or my car. Something heavy, and exhale. Repeat. Push out all the discomfort. Or kick something (but not like break-your-foot kick...kick upholstery). Then I go for a walk if I can. Nerve pain meds (anticonvulsants) help for some of my pain, but that's more related to my spine.

I keep hearing about somatic therapy and how good it is. Is that something i could try on my own or is it more of like a facilitated thing?

Somatic experiencing is a body therapy method with a therapist, but once you get the hang of it you can do some on your own at home as well, also to speed up the process.

I definitely get this. When I have a flashback my entire right side tenses up and hurts really bad if someone touches me. I'm still trying to figure out why this is. At first, I would get really angry at my body for hurting, but now I try to approach it with compassion. I do yoga, and when I feel a tense area I'll tell it it's ok and I'm ready to listen when it's ready to tell me what it's holding. I'm not sure that's true though as I'm actually pretty terrified of what it might be holding. Might be why it hasn't let go yet.

Somatic experiencing is a body therapy method with a therapist, but once you get the hang of it you can do some on your own at home as well

Been working with my therapist for a few years. It's not a quick route for complex trauma, like it seems for one-time shock trauma (if all you see are youtube videos). And it's not possible to use on your own if not well grounded in your body, which for me has been a long, slow process...it has to be carefully titrated. I've needed someone to make that safe and somewhat structured (how to go into trauma, but also back out, how to respond to triggers, how to manage energy, how to process some without dissociating but staying present, etc). But I do use more noticing my body and responding on my own...definitely good tools to transfer into daily life. It isn't like an easy self-help tool. It's f*cking difficult because you have to be inside your body...just getting there and staying there is most of the work.

@Stickler I got thrown into a stair rail and hit my head really hard. Touching the spot causes flashbacks. I'm sorry that happened to you.

@lostforgottensoul Thanks for sharing. I know our pasts are very similar. I've tried all the typical grounding tools, too. Sometimes they work, but often they don't. I'll read through the link you posted. As for telling my therapist... I suspect he probably already knows. He's smart that way. But I'm not sure I'm brave enough to admit it.

@Born to Run Thank you. I'm not sure how to get inside the feelings. I will try to dig up the courage to ask my therapist about it, but I feel really embarrassed even thinking about it.

@FridayJones Thank you. I have the same issue - if there is any low-level pain in the area in question, I am WAY more likely to experience intense physical pain with flashbacks and/or nightmares. I have stage 4 endometriosis so I am frequently in pain "down there" anyway. It invites the flashbacks and nightmares in. I'm glad I'm not the only one.

@Chava I have found that when I am able to work out, it helps the pain. But I can't always work out. Your idea of pushing against a wall (or some other resistance) is a good one. I'm going to try it. Because it can be done anywhere, and people won't even necessarily know I'm doing it. Thank you.

@Poofycat Thank you for your feedback. I've never stopped to consider that it might be my body's way of saying something. Something for me to think about, for sure.

@ShodokanJenn im sorry you have to go through this! :( I did some google searching for you, as knowing you arent alone in it im sure isnt enough and well i havent yet found an answer for the pain yet either other than time & that can be hard, so i'll be looking at some of this too. Sorry if i overwhelm ya or anything. Most of this is about listening to your body and knowing your body remembers, grounding & whatnot.

I'll start with the older thread i found from here about it (there were many but this was the closest i could find):

https://www.myptsd.com/threads/sensory-flashbacks-from-physical-sexual-abuse.28308/

Heres one i came across from a different fourm:

http://forums.psychcentral.com/survivors-abuse/316322-do-flashbacks-include-sensations-body.html

This seems to be a flashback in general but includes physical pain:

http://www.traumahealed.com/articles/flashbacks-experiencing-distress-in-safety.html

This one is a male website but still applies:

http://www.livingwell.org.au/managing-difficulties/dealing-with-flashbacks/

Sorry I couldnt find more. Apparently theres a movie thats keeps coming up so i had to dig around that. I hope some of this helps!

For what its worth, i know its embarrasing to advise your therapist (trust me when i say ive had to vocalize a ton of embarrasing stuff that wouldnt be obvious) and they might know as therapists are cool like that, but would encourage you to. For me anyway, once i 'got it out there' it helped to just let someone else know. And maybe there are specific memories that you guys can work on that will help.

Im sorry i could be of more help. Sorry you have to go through this! :hug:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back